Modifying Steiner weapon light from H&K MP5

joe_momma

Newly Enlightened
I have a special weapons mp5 clone that I will be running with a suppressor. I had a surefire 628 but those are too tight for a suppressor. I found an A15 adapter, but didn't quite solve my problem like I wanter. I found that Steiner made an mp5 hand guard light (also marketed through laser devices). This light had the perfect offset and also gave a better grip due to the offset (acts like a hand stop for you shooters). The problem I have now though, is the Steiner provides, oh, about, I'm guessing ONE LUMEN! I really don't know, but it is dim! Surefire type bulbs will not fit in the bezel. But I do know that a surefire L36 will fit, which is what I want, for a certain look. Finding an l36 hasn't been so easy. Or even a lu30 adapter, as I have the shock isolated bezel. So does anyone know of an aftermarket adapter that will allow me to use the bezel I have but still give me the hieght of the l36? And if I can accomplish that, what kind of LED upgrade should I look for, that can take the recoil? Thanks for any and all assistance!

joe_momma

Newly Enlightened
What about an aftermarket adapter to shorten my l60 to an l36? I thought I've seen where a member here machines lu60 down to lu30, anyone know about that?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
What about an aftermarket adapter to shorten my l60 to an l36? I thought I've seen where a member here machines lu60 down to lu30, anyone know about that?

You could have Barry from Precision Works cut down a L60 which is commonly found to the dimensions you seek. That would allow you to use a P60 sized drop in of your choice. But often, with the older/ original style L60's, it will not fit newer P60 LED's unless the threaded portion has been taper cut to conform to the ID of the L60 lamp holder. A Malkoff drop in has that tapered cut. Also a regular SF P60L will fit and of course EDC carries some decent choices of taper cut P60's that will work as long as you order the Surefire version and not the Solar Force one. All depends on how big your budget is.

joe_momma

Newly Enlightened
I ended up with a new L36 from Surefire. I replaced the new bezel with an old one, but still has the knobby things which id prefer not to have. The steiner has a built in extension piece (the first bit of shiny metal sticking out). this houses two batteries. so if i was to put an L60 on there, it'd be 9v

Before:

996feebf-8555-4075-80ed-7ce039a6571c_zpsf2bf3b4a.jpg

F88461EE-0332-4B7F-B9AB-CB0CBE1D329E_zpsuhrp0cfq.jpg

After:

2DDEB66B-1202-4F6A-88F9-20F4E1F4FEA8_zpsucv0zuff.jpg

14DE3A1F-1EFF-450D-A48C-20FCDE146B6C_zpsjglzinvi.jpg

BAB67F08-9777-4070-AD51-134C663B3611_zpsrmjqhuyv.jpg

original Head:
11D64E5B-4923-4A24-BECD-0C3D0634D358_zpsaciheeo2.jpg

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Great pic's! Nice HK too! If your going to end up with Malkoff or any quality P60 that's been potted you can get rid of the shock absorbing bezels. Both shown in your pic's are fine but it seems your still wanting better clearance when mounting your can. A non shock absorbing bezel can be had for free at the SureFire rapid replacements web page. Its the bezel at the top of the page. It's smaller in diameter and shorter. Made for the 6P and such lights.

joe_momma

Newly Enlightened
I plan on a malkoff led but I kinda like the look of the one that's on there now. And I still have my clearance. My next step is the L72 that going in above the can via a cocking tube dust cover mount that needs to be modified. L72 was sent to surefire for a work up, to be put back in spec. And that replacing site, never knew of that!!!!!!