SureFire G2 vs. G2Z

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I know that this question has been asked before, but with the recent price-drop I'm curious how/if that changes your answer. So, if you could only have one (G2 or G2Z), which one you'd get and why.

Please, only reply as it relates to my question. I don't want this thread to turn into the "get the xyz light cause it's better than the G2 and G2Z".

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll vote G2.
The non-tactical shape seems more useful.
The tail-cap is easily converted to a clickie.
And the bezel can always be upgraded.

The primary benefit of the G2Z is the lens but the G2 price drop makes that a pretty extravagant option.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by GJW:
I'll vote G2.

The primary benefit of the G2Z is the lens but the G2 price drop makes that a pretty extravagant option.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tell me more about the clickie conversion. Where do I find out how to do this?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remove the guts of the G2 tail and a Kroll clickie practically drops right in.

You just need a ring of metal around the Kroll that contacts both the Kroll's spring and the metal body tube of the G2.
I used a flimsy wire keychain but anything of the sort should work.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by GJW:
I'll vote G2.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i disagree with the non-tactical being more useful. it offers another grip option.

the tail cap clickie is interesting.

bezel upgrade is good.

the recent price makes the G2 more desirable for general use. unless you need a lotc or tactical application i'd go G2. before the price drop i recommended the G2Z regardless of use.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some foil around the Kroll works just as well... I have that on my G2 and 9P. I think Dan likes the G2Z because they cost more...hehe...and that means more business for him!
wink.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

this_is_nascar,

I prefer the look & feel of the G2Z with the grip rings. I also prefer the Pyrex lens. And like ttran97 mentioned, the price (just kidding).

Dan.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I have to agree with Dan. I love my G2Z (which I bought from him). I tend to give away all my G2's to friends! That's to introduce them to the wonderful world of Surefire.
smile.gif
I'm not giving away my G2Z! The G2Z has a unique quality about it.

Skyline

Enlightened
I prefer the G2Z. You can hold in the traditional fashion or in the combat grip (which I prefer). Pyrex bezel and lockout tailcap are also must-have features for me.

nihraguk

Enlightened
the grip rings are very useful, even if you're just using it in the normal overhand method. it prevents the light from slipping out of your hand even if its wet and/or slippery.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I would definitely say I like the G2Z better. I like the lanyard, it can hang off my backpack or fanny pack. I like the Pyrex. And I like the look. But,,, I have only one G2Z and many G2s. The G2 is my standard backup light. I have one in each vehicle, almost one in each room of the house. That is because of the price. So, if I were to buy another one of the two right now, it would be the G2. Strictly because of price.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the CPF motto applies in this case too..."Buy both!" Since the G2 is relatively cheap, you can actually do so without feeling the sting too badly. Both lights together would be just a little over $100 at tacticalwarehouse.com. Plus, with Dan's fedex, you'd get them in two days!
smile.gif