Feeler thread - 0-25A adjustable linear driver

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited 1/11/15

Yes, that's right, 25 amp adjustable driver, two modes. I'm looking to see if there's enough interest in one to make it worth building. Please let me know what you think.

$35 USD would get you all this:

It would be based on my existing IS1011 automotive driver discussed extensively here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Automotive-linear-13-5A-LED-driver-adjustable. It would be the same size and configuration. Someone asked me if I could mod one to 21A. I figured with a new board, I could go as high as 25A.

Edit: it would be 33mm round to fit MAG-D tube.

This would probably be offered in several versions:

One cell, input voltage 3.0-5.0V
Two-cell, input voltage 5.0-9.0V
Multi-cell, input voltage 8-35V (not sure this one makes sense, as there are other options in this range).

Edit: two versions: 3.0-5.5V, 3.5-36V.

Each version would be offered in several current ratings up to 25A. There is an onboard potentiometer that can be used to adjust the outut from zero to whatever the rating is for that particular driver.

The driver would have two modes, high (100%) and low (25%). Any adjustment to the potentiometer adjusts both high and low proportinally, so that low is always 25% of high. The 4:1 ratio can be customized upon request. The switch required to run the modes is a double throw type, so a 'clicky' type switch will not work. Something like this is needed: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/100SP3T1B1M1REH/EG2376-ND/378845. With a 'clicky' type switch you could control only one of the modes, i.e. high and off or low and off. For best results I recommend switches with gold plated contacts, like the one in the link.

The driver would draw about 10 mA even when switched off. This could be a problem in a flashlight that sits idle for long periods. An alternate wiring scheme can reduce this to a few microamps using a double-pole switch like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/M2023SS1G01/M2023SS1G01-ND/1027302 instead of the single pole switch mentioned above.

Edit: 2-3 mA normal, less than 1 mA in undervoltage cutout mode.

Like the IS1011, it would have an on-board temperature sensor to protect the driver from overheating. In order for this to work properly, the driver must be properly mounted to an aluminum or copper heatsink. There would also be a point to connect an external thermistor for protecting the LED(s) if they are on a different heatsink.

Instead of the over-voltage cutout of the IS1011, this would have an undervoltage cutout, probably at 2.7V for the single-cell version, 5.4V for the two-cell version, and disabled for the multi-cell. This could be disabled for those who would rather sacrifice the battery to keep the light running.

If it's of interest, I might set it up so the external thermistor input could also be used for a PWM input instead. PWM frequencies could be up to 20 kHz (higher on request). However, the PWM signal would be filtered in the driver to provide an analog dimming function to the LED. This is better for some digital cameras, though it can cause some tint shift in the LED. If it were desired to apply PWM to the LED, this could be accomodated. I'd have to investigate how high a frequency is practical. I'm guessing 10 kHz-ish.

Sound too good to be true?

***HERE'S THE CATCH***
The driver would be a linear driver. This means that the output voltage cannot be higher than the input voltage, and to have decent efficiency, the input voltage needs to be close to the output voltage. This limits what battery/led combinations would work well. For the single-cell driver you'd use a single cell (or several in parallel), and a single LED (or several in parallel). For the two-cell driver you'd use, obviously, two cells in series and two LEDs in series (or parallel combinations thereof).

With these combinations, the efficiency can actually be quite good. With a 3.5V LED and a 4.0V battery (LiIon batteries won't stay above 4.0V under load except perhaps very briefly), you'd get 87% efficiency. As the battery voltage falls to 3.65V, the efficiency would rise to 96%. As the voltage continues to drop, the regulator would begin to "drop out", meaning the output voltage would begin to fall. All LEDs have a voltage vs. current curve, and as the voltage falls the current drops according to the LED's curve. The efficiency would remain near 94-96% as the input voltage drops to 3.0V. After this the dropout voltage begins to increase and the efficiency begins to fall. Operation in this region (below 3.0V input) would not be guaranteed.

If your LED voltage were 2.95V, the driver would remain in regulation until the battery voltage reached 3.1V, and the efficiency would start at 74% and climb gradually to 95%.

The 'dropout voltage' of a driver is the minimum input-output voltage differential required to maintain regulated current. This is a characteristic of all linear and buck type regulators. The 0.15V dropout voltage of this driver at 25A would be considered quite low. At lower currents, the dropout voltage is even lower.

Cheers.

D

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated specs: (Jan 15, 2015)

Wire hole sizes have been reduced, will now accept 16 AWG stranded. This is a bit small for 25A, but in a flashlight with inches of wire length, should be okay.

Input voltage options will be either 3.0-4.5V, or 3.5-36V. The higher voltage range is not automotive rated, but it should survive all but the very worst things that can ever happen in a car.

Current is adjustable from 0 to max with an onboard potentiometer. An external pot can also be used.

boards will be offered with max currents of 10, 16.7, and 25A. Other values could be made on request.

Price is $35 USD.

Board size is 33mm diameter.

IS1013top.jpg

IS1013bot.jpg

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
what sort of driver IC sources 25A? I have never heard of anything in the dimension mentioned. :green:

EDIT: Maybe the BTS555 PROFET

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an IC. It's built from discrete components, and the main power element is a large FET, which is designed to handle that kind of power.

Epsilon

Enlightened
I was looking for your 10.5A or 13.5A thread to combine two in parallel. So this thread is great!
To answer the question: Yes, I would really like to have one (or two ;)).

But:
- It has to fit a MagD tube (33mm across)

If possible:
- Reduce the leak current to a minimum (<0.1mA), maybe with a two stage activation.

This will probably be impossible:
- Pick a FET which has an electrically insulated cooling face (so it does not matter to which surface it is mounted).

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
If you make this, it would be the most convenient option on the market for the Luminus CBT-140 or 90. I would buy 1 to support the effort. I think I would be willing to gut my Olight SR90, convert the battery pack to parallel, and replace the led with a CBT-140 if I had this driver!

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for your 10.5A or 13.5A thread to combine two in parallel. So this thread is great!
To answer the question: Yes, I would really like to have one (or two ;)).

But:
- It has to fit a MagD tube (33mm across)

Hmmm... No promises, but maybe. It would be a very tight fit. Might have to give something up. I'd definitely look at it though.

If possible:
- Reduce the leak current to a minimum (<0.1mA), maybe with a two stage activation.

This can be done with a double pole switch. Or if you need only one mode, even with a single pole switch. Not going to happen with single pole and multiple modes.

This will problably be impossible:
- Pick a FET which has an electrically insulated cooling face (so it does not matter to which surface it is mounted).

I'd ship it with an insulating thermal pad, so in most cases you wouldn't have to worry about that. The fully insulated packages have much worse thermal conductivity, thus much lower power ratings.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you make this, it would be the most convenient option on the market for the Luminus CBT-140 or 90. I would buy 1 to support the effort. I think I would be willing to gut my Olight SR90, convert the battery pack to parallel, and replace the led with a CBT-140 if I had this driver!

Unfortunately, it looks like there would be very few sales. Until today the silence has been deafening!

Laser Project

Newly Enlightened
I'd buy four of the 25 amp drivers if I can adjust the voltage down to 2.0 VDC for a total amount of current close to 15 amps.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to adjust the voltage; the driver takes care of that. You adjust the current. The LED determines how much voltage is required for that much current (will vary from one LED to another, and over temperature), and the driver supplies the correct voltage and current.

What you do have to provide is a power source that has a voltage somewhat higher than the LED, but not so high that the driver overheats. The single-cell version of the driver would work perfectly with a source of 3.0-3.5V. Adjust to 15A and provide enough heatsinking for 15-25W, and you're done!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I've done the schematic and board layout. Looks like it will fit on a 33mm diameter board, without giving up anything!

Also looks like $35 is sufficient that I can break even after selling 20 boards or so. I'm starting to think this is a go!

Epsilon

Enlightened
Arf! Wasn't counting on it and have spent hours filing aluminium to make use of two 10A versions :). But nice you are going ahead with this build! Still interested in one! Have to do some mods to the current switch assembly I made but it will probably work just fine :).

Thanks for the efforts!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I've decided this is definitely going to happen.

I did some more work on it today. Looks like previous plans were not sufficient to provide reasonable input voltage ranges.

New plan looks like it will be a 3.0-4.5V version, and a 3.5-36V version, the difference being one component. I'll probably offer it in 10A, 16.7A, and 25A ratings. Maybe a 5A or others if there's demand. All would have a pot to adjust from zero to max rated current.

Wow this board is this tight! Almost have to deviate from my 'normal' PCB layout rules into 'special' territory. Not quite though, at least so far.

In case anyone is getting anxious, you should keep your pants on. It will be at least a month, maybe several before this is ready for sale.

Last edited:

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Will the pot be onboard or have you planned to provide pins for an external pot (so that you can operate the light with just the pot)?
Anyway, sounds promising :thumbsup:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be an onboard pot, but you can also use an external one. You'd set the max with the onboard one, than adjust within the range with the external one.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working on ordering boards for the first build. Not sure why my password is a problem all of a sudden.

Note edits to post #1.

Would anyone be interested in a much simplified driver? This would eliminate low voltage cutout, overtemp protection, and current adjusting ability (HI and LOW would be fixed instead of adjustable). This would eliminate over half the parts on the board, thus improving the reliability. I'd probably offer it at $28-30, since the parts cost is a bit less (yes, half the parts are removed, but only about 19% of the parts cost).

If I was a cave diver or really dependent on my light for some other reason, this is what I would do.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, for an MTG2 Maglite D size

Two-cell, input voltage 5.0-9.0V......You can make it accept 8.4V input and lock in the current at 6A or 8A?

With 8.4V input and 6A that would be amazing 50watt MTG2 build.

bigC