Sky Lumen        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 57 of 57

Thread: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

  1. #31
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Jersey Channel islands UK
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Oh, 4.2...damn I only scanned on the iPhone. I was thinking 8.4 volt. Well actually that is better. Can run from a Meanwell DC-DC convertor they do 5 volt output devices as well as 12 volt..

    Yes, I had seen the Mini usb port.

    but from what i have been seeing over the past few days, i'd say that is a big weak point. A friend of a friend popped down to mine shed yesterday ,as he had heard I had started messing with lights. He brought me a selection of dead and dying bike lamps. He is a 7 day a week cyclist, rain or shine, like myself, and the bike lives outside with his lights permanently bolted down. Yes covered , but always outside.
    Every single one of these lights has failed due to water ingress through poor sealing around either rubber switches to electronic switch style driver boards....or micro USB charge ports.

    I was thinking something like model NSD15-48S5

    http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/produ...x?prod=nsd15-s



    The emitter size is something I had not considered, this light light/LED stuff begin new to me.

    Looking at the figures it is probably more than bright enough as it is any way, ..dont need too bright on the road, even if it is well directed.

    Thanks for letting me know about the 4.2v. I guess 5 volt as you already mentioned could week be within tty board spec. Would need to trace the wiring after the micr

  2. #32
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,790

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Overall I like the dedicated reflex design.
    I don't like: cool-white, modes, interface.
    A nice 4500K neutral-white would be better.
    Low should be 200 lumens x 2. Extra power low should be 400 lumens x 2 (wet black asphalt can really suck up the photons). DRL mode should be 100 lumens x 2.
    High beam should be 400 lumens central LED, 200 lumens x 2 (flanking, low beams) If you oversaturate your near field, you won't have any distance vision.
    Optical horn is a nice function to have, but should be a mechanical switch that puts the high beam to an extra special high output mode ~600 lumens, and lowers your lows to DRL (100 lumen mode), and stays there as long as you keep your finger on the switch.

  3. #33
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    Yes, I had seen the Mini usb port.

    but from what i have been seeing over the past few days, i'd say that is a big weak point. A friend of a friend popped down to mine shed yesterday ,as he had heard I had started messing with lights. He brought me a selection of dead and dying bike lamps. He is a 7 day a week cyclist, rain or shine, like myself, and the bike lives outside with his lights permanently bolted down. Yes covered , but always outside.
    Every single one of these lights has failed due to water ingress through poor sealing around either rubber switches to electronic switch style driver boards....or micro USB charge ports.
    Yes, my bike lives outside as well, always covered (except when I'm riding ). I've heard other folks mention the micro USB port as a possible weak link, however, Eric specifically mentioned that the port has been weather sealed, and when looking at the interior shot of the end cap where that port is located, it looks like they've added some silicon sealer to the area, so I think this light is reasonably well sealed. Of course it does come with a 2 year warranty, just in case.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    Overall I like the dedicated reflex design.
    I don't like: cool-white, modes, interface.
    A nice 4500K neutral-white would be better.
    Low should be 200 lumens x 2. Extra power low should be 400 lumens x 2 (wet black asphalt can really suck up the photons). DRL mode should be 100 lumens x 2.
    High beam should be 400 lumens central LED, 200 lumens x 2 (flanking, low beams) If you oversaturate your near field, you won't have any distance vision.
    Optical horn is a nice function to have, but should be a mechanical switch that puts the high beam to an extra special high output mode ~600 lumens, and lowers your lows to DRL (100 lumen mode), and stays there as long as you keep your finger on the switch.
    Of course the low IS 200 lumens x 2 and extra power low IS 400 x 2. As far as the rest of it goes, I think you should contact Specialized and let them know what you'd like to see in their next version. Those sound like some good ideas. I think for a first version, they got a lot right.

  4. #34
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,790

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    I concur that it is a good first effort. The extrusion-housing-heatsink design looks scalable and production friendly.
    If they want to sell this toward the mountain bike type crowd, they need two mounts to the handlebars.

  5. #35

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Derek Dean, thank you for posting this. I was wondering if you would mind if I used the pictures and data you posted to add to an article on bicycle headlights for electricbike.com. I would of course credit you and candlepowerforums.com. If y\ou'd rather not, it no problem. Thanks in advance.

  6. #36
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Howdy spinningmagnets, and welcome to CPF,
    I'd rather not discuss this on the open forum, and being a brand spanking new member, you don't have enough posts to PM yet. After your 2nd post you'll be able to PM me, and we can discuss this further.

  7. #37

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Wow, nice thorough review. The beamshots convinced me to buy one for my dad for his birthday.

    LOL, I know it sounds weird, but itís MUCH easier than it reads. It only took me a few minutes to become comfortable with using the big blue HIGHBEAM button to quickly access any of those neat features.
    LOL, I gotta disagree with this though. Appreciate the mentions of how it works, but I couldn't find any description of that in the instruction manual that came with the light or online. I had meant to take pics of the beamshots, unfortunately my camera started having a "lens error" last week and I don't have it at the moment, and I gave the light to my dad earlier today for his birthday. I'll probably write up more trying it out this summer.

    My quick thoughts:
    1. The color temperature of the light is nice. I have an Ixon Iq Premium, and the Specialized Flux color temperature is far more natural, much like the color temperature of the latest saferide.
    2. I'll need to actually be able to ride it to have an opinion on the amount of light it puts out and beam pattern - it wasn't as "obviously this puts out a lot of light" as I had thought it would be in my apartment.
    3. I really find the modes setting on the remote to be confusing. It was unpredictable to me why the "light horn" would come on sometimes, and it's gotta be annoying as heck on the bike trail. I really think it needs more buttons, or something, so you're not accidentally cycling through it.
    4. Don't like that they put a mini sub plug on it when everything is micro usb.
    5. It's certainly a sturdy, well polished light. But it's kinda heavy.
    6. It does definitely have a distinct low beam vs high beam mode. I just wish trying to get to the mode I wanted was more predictable. I would never have known there was a low beam low and a low beam high mode had I not read through this thread.

  8. #38
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Howdy Paul,
    That's funny, because I too have the Ixon IQ Premium. Yes the color temp of the Specialized, while still cool, is much more neutral, more of a clean white. The main difference I notice between the two beam patterns is that the IQ Premium is wider, but with a sharper cut-off, while the Specialized light has a bit narrower beam pattern, but has more of a gradual fade at the edges.

    As far as the mode switching, it's like anything that offers a lot of options, it simply takes playing with it for a while to understand the reasoning behind the setup, but once you do, it's actually fairly logical and easy to get to the mode you want. The first few times I took it out for a ride I was all over the place, but by the 3rd or 4th ride I had it down pat, and by that time I had come to appreciate not only the level of control I had, but how easy it was to make the light quickly do what I wanted.

    I've got a feeling your Dad is going to love his new light, but beware, the Specialzed light's low power beam is brighter than even the IQ Premium's highest power setting, so you just might have to get another IXON to keep up with your Dad.

    I'll look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as the two of you become acquainted with the new light.

  9. #39

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Howdy Paul,
    That's funny, because I too have the Ixon IQ Premium. Yes the color temp of the Specialized, while still cool, is much more neutral, more of a clean white. The main difference I notice between the two beam patterns is that the IQ Premium is wider, but with a sharper cut-off, while the Specialized light has a bit narrower beam pattern, but has more of a gradual fade at the edges.
    Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test them side by side and probably won't bother until spring here in Minnesota.

    That's interesting, I'll keep a look out for that.

    The more I used the Ixon Premium, the more I felt that the biggest problem was it's LED color output. I was relieved the specialized was pretty good. So are the Phillips Saferides.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    As far as the mode switching, it's like anything that offers a lot of options, it simply takes playing with it for a while to understand the reasoning behind the setup, but once you do, it's actually fairly logical and easy to get to the mode you want. The first few times I took it out for a ride I was all over the place, but by the 3rd or 4th ride I had it down pat, and by that time I had come to appreciate not only the level of control I had, but how easy it was to make the light quickly do what I wanted.
    We'll see I suppose...

    I'll say this though, I looked through everything that came with the light, and online, and could not find any reference to why the !@#@ light would just suddenly start doing that "light horn" thing for no apparent reason sometimes when I pushed a button. Your post was the first thing I've run across that gave a description of how it worked. How did you find it? Or did you just figure it out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    I've got a feeling your Dad is going to love his new light, but beware, the Specialzed light's low power beam is brighter than even the IQ Premium's highest power setting, so you just might have to get another IXON to keep up with your Dad.

    I'll look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as the two of you become acquainted with the new light.
    Ha, if it's that good, I think I'll just buy a second specialized light.

    It will be a bit before I have a chance to compare I'm afraid - it's winter here in Minnesota and I don't want to go through the hassle of mounting the light on my winter bike (one nice thing about winter is you need a lot less light because the snow reflects more light around, the Cyo (non-premium) is all I need on my winter bike). My dad is going to Arizona for a month or two at the end of the week, I'm travelling to Florida tomorrow...I'll probably write more back when there's no more snow on the ground up here though. :-)

    I know I ran across several people who felt the Ixon Iq Premium was to dim for them, and it seemed like it wasn't just the "hardcore" crowd. Would love to have a light to recommend that puts out as much light on the ground as one could possibly need, but with a cutoff.

  10. #40
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post

    I'll say this though, I looked through everything that came with the light, and online, and could not find any reference to why the !@#@ light would just suddenly start doing that "light horn" thing for no apparent reason sometimes when I pushed a button. Your post was the first thing I've run across that gave a description of how it worked. How did you find it? Or did you just figure it out?
    Well, the instruction manual, which I admire, was an attempt to convey the workings of the light without words, so that somebody from any country could understand them, and to be fair, if you spend enough time deciphering all the symbols, they do actually get that information across in an elegant manner. However, I'll admit, the instructions can be a bit cryptic.

    I had the advantage of having the engineer who designed the light give me a quick run through to show me the features, and from there, with light in hand, I was able to decipher the instruction manual and get it all figured out, which was why I tried to explain things as best as I could in the review, and I'm happy to here it helped.

    Again, and I can't stress this enough, I found that it really is a nicely thought out system, and I'll bet that after you and your Dad have a chance to ride with it a few times that you'll begin to see how easy it is to switch quickly to what you want.

  11. #41
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1

    Thinking Modifications possible?

    I just bought the Flux Expert (and registered here) but as a Philips SafeRide user i am not as impressed as i thought i'd be for 4x money. Beam is brighter but not as wide as the Philips. The raised button sometimes switched in my jacket pocket. A glued brass washer solved this problem.

    - It seems easy to change the LiIon for 3400mAh type. Did somebody do that mod? Does the pack include an internal protection circuit?
    - Is it possible/reasonable to change (at least the center) LED(s) with the new Cree XP-L V5 (or U5 for warmwhite light)? Or something else, without changes to the circuitry?
    - Anyone with pictures of the disasssembled main board/reflector?

  12. #42

    Default Re: Modifications possible?

    This seems like a good step forward in bicycle lights. I'm currently running a smaller unit, looking for something a bit stronger. A lot of my riding is on the roads here in the Phoenix, AZ area, but often ride trails around the various mountains.

  13. #43
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    2,332

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    I've had some folks ask about a comparison of the beam between the Specialized Flux Expert headlight and my B&M Ixon IQ Premium light. Well, the Specialized Flux Expert is off on it's pass around journey, but I was able to go back through my photos and find two that give a reasonable comparison between the two beams:

    First up is the Flux Expert, on Low Power and Low Beam:


    And now the Ixon IQ Premium on High Power:


    I'd say these photos are representative of what I see in actual use. The trail is running alongside the lake, on the left, so the light kind of disappears on that side, but these still give a good idea of the differences.

    From my perspective the Ixon has a wider beam, which I really like, and it has a small pool of light right out at the end of the beam that really helps me see in the distance because it's the same light level as the beam close in to the bike. However, it has a sharp cut off at the edges where the light simply stops, and the beam does have distinct artifacts which some folks find objectionable.

    On the other hand, the Specialized beam is much more even all the way from the front wheel out to the end, with very little in the way of artifacts, but it is a narrower, brighter beam. And while it does have a cut off (when on low beam), it's not the hard cut off of the IQ Premium, rather it's more of a quick tapering off of the beam, still giving some spill at the edges.

    If I had to critique the Flux Expert's beam, I'd say I would have preferred that they utilized those 3 LEDs differently to make it a bit wider beam (more like the IXON), rather than simply brighter in the middle, and while it's a very even beam, there is still a slightly brighter pool of light out around 20-30 feet (visible in the photo) that seemed to draw my attention, making it a bit harder to view down the road easily.

    Critiquing the IXON, it would be nice to have an additional brighter level, it needs better weather sealing, and I could see it using an 18650 instead of the 4xAA setup, but overall, it suits my needs very well.

    Hope that helps.

  14. #44

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    That's a great review, thanks.

    Do you know if the remote will work with a USB extension cable? I need to have the light about 120cm (4ft) from the remote.

    Also, what are the options for powering the light on long rides - say 24 to 40 hours (daytime riding plus one overnight)?

  15. #45
    Flashaholic angerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    269

    Lightbulb Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    Also, what are the options for powering the light on long rides - say 24 to 40 hours (daytime riding plus one overnight)?
    Using a powerbank with 2A output will give you 3x longer runtime with high power.
    If you switch to energy saving or flashing mode, only the external power source will be used:
    Quote Originally Posted by HRHPrinceCharles View Post
    Haven't had time to call Specialized today, but found some info on their support site regarding an external battery pack:
    specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/8569980-usb-battery-pack-to-extend-ride-time-for-flux-expert

  16. #46

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Thanks very much.

    Does that mean the light will eventually stop working if it's being run at higher power levels even if an external battery is plugged in? If it's drawing around 1A per hour from it's internal battery will it last around 5 hours (assuming 5mAh internal battery) on full power if also being supported with an external battery? It might also be difficult to monitor the status of the external battery - ie it could run out, in which case the light will then solely draw on its internal battery.

    I know very little about electronics!

  17. #47
    Flashaholic angerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    Does that mean the light will eventually stop working if it's being run at higher power levels even if an external battery is plugged in?
    If you use it in high power mode, the light will stop working when the internal battery is empty.
    But if you use a energy saving mode, the light will keep working if an external battery is plugged in.


    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    If it's drawing around 1A per hour from it's internal battery will it last around 5 hours (assuming 5mAh internal battery) on full power if also being supported with an external battery?
    I guess it will last up to 4.5h on full power (1200lm) if an external battery is plugged in.


    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    It might also be difficult to monitor the status of the external battery - ie it could run out, in which case the light will then solely draw on its internal battery.
    There are several powerbanks with LCD which shows the remaining capacity.
    plxdevices.com/Legion-Portable-Battery-Charger-11000mAh-p/897346002603-897346002610.htm
    ianker.com/product/79AN7906-BA
    pny.com/powerpack-id10400?sku=P-B-10400-12-IDW01-RB
    pny.com/powerpack_7800_dual-port_1_amp__2_4_amp

  18. #48

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Thanks very much. Those powerbanks look good, but might not be the easiest thing to carry on a bike - it might have to go in a saddlebag, and run a long lead to the light.

    I'm a bit wary of using USB leads on a bike since I once tried to extend the runtime of a Garmin Edge 305 with an external battery pack. The USB socket was underneath the GPS, and the cable kept vibrating loose - I nearly lost my thumb to the front wheel when I tried to snatch the dangling cable!

    Also, has anyone tested using an external battery along with the remote? Is this possible, and if so, what USB cables/devices are needed?

    I've already got a couple of Philips battery lights, so I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the Philips against the Specialized. My later Philips seems to have better battery life than the first. I'll need to try it with Energizer Lithium batteries (my first Philips ran with these, but the battery status lights didn't illuminate using these batteries).

    I like the idea of the Specialized's high beam, but I might be able to emulate that by using the Philips as the dipped beam, and buying an Exposure Equinox with wireless remote (for example) to use as a switchable high beam.

    It's difficult to know what would be the best solution/compromise.

  19. #49

    Default Re: Modifications possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerCandle View Post
    I just bought the Flux Expert (and registered here) but as a Philips SafeRide user i am not as impressed as i thought i'd be for 4x money. Beam is brighter but not as wide as the Philips. The raised button sometimes switched in my jacket pocket. A glued brass washer solved this problem.

    - It seems easy to change the LiIon for 3400mAh type. Did somebody do that mod? Does the pack include an internal protection circuit?
    - Is it possible/reasonable to change (at least the center) LED(s) with the new Cree XP-L V5 (or U5 for warmwhite light)? Or something else, without changes to the circuitry?
    - Anyone with pictures of the disasssembled main board/reflector?
    I own 2 SafeRide 80s. I modified them both with Taskled Lflex drivers so I can put up to 1 amp through each of the diodes. My question is has anyone actually measured lux readings on the Flux Expert? My modified SafeRides put out 15000 lux at one meter with 1 amp of current to the leds. I believe Phillips' quotes an 80 lux reading for the stock SafeRide at 10 meters distance. I haven't seen any measured data yet on these Specialized Flux Experts. I am interested in purchasing one if the lux readings are higher than my modified SafeRides. I like the idea of a remote switching light for high beam. I have to use a separate light presently for my high beam.

  20. #50

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    I've had some folks ask about a comparison of the beam between the Specialized Flux Expert headlight and my B&M Ixon IQ Premium light. Well, the Specialized Flux Expert is off on it's pass around journey, but I was able to go back through my photos and find two that give a reasonable comparison between the two beams:

    First up is the Flux Expert, on Low Power and Low Beam:


    And now the Ixon IQ Premium on High Power:


    I'd say these photos are representative of what I see in actual use. The trail is running alongside the lake, on the left, so the light kind of disappears on that side, but these still give a good idea of the differences.

    From my perspective the Ixon has a wider beam, which I really like, and it has a small pool of light right out at the end of the beam that really helps me see in the distance because it's the same light level as the beam close in to the bike. However, it has a sharp cut off at the edges where the light simply stops, and the beam does have distinct artifacts which some folks find objectionable.

    On the other hand, the Specialized beam is much more even all the way from the front wheel out to the end, with very little in the way of artifacts, but it is a narrower, brighter beam. And while it does have a cut off (when on low beam), it's not the hard cut off of the IQ Premium, rather it's more of a quick tapering off of the beam, still giving some spill at the edges.

    If I had to critique the Flux Expert's beam, I'd say I would have preferred that they utilized those 3 LEDs differently to make it a bit wider beam (more like the IXON), rather than simply brighter in the middle, and while it's a very even beam, there is still a slightly brighter pool of light out around 20-30 feet (visible in the photo) that seemed to draw my attention, making it a bit harder to view down the road easily.

    Critiquing the IXON, it would be nice to have an additional brighter level, it needs better weather sealing, and I could see it using an 18650 instead of the 4xAA setup, but overall, it suits my needs very well.

    Hope that helps.

    I was on the fence about which light to get and this photo pretty well sums it up for me. Thanks OP!

  21. #51

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Great review, nice light. I wish lights with wired remotes would come with recumbent friendly cord lengths though.

  22. #52

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Milw light View Post
    Great review, nice light. I wish lights with wired remotes would come with recumbent friendly cord lengths though.
    Seems like this is why we have all gathered on CPF. Time to splice in your own wire!

  23. #53
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Milw light View Post
    Great review, nice light. I wish lights with wired remotes would come with recumbent friendly cord lengths though.
    the whole issue of recumbent lights might be a good topic for discussion, if it hasn't already been done to death on BROL.

    I've got a couple Bacchetta high racer type 'bents, and mounting lights has taken a bit of creativity. The commuting 'bent has a hub dynamo and I've mounted the headlight to the left fork blade. Not ideal, but keeps it out of the way of my feet and the light points where I'm steering.

    My go-fast 'bent has the light mounted on the tube that the front derailleur mounts on. It gets used mostly for "be seen" lights, the foot flash issue is not significant and I don't need the ability to see where I'm steering.

    On the plus side, my dynamo light is always on, and I can reach the light mounted just forward of the front derailleur, so I haven't felt the need for a remote switch. On the other hand, maybe I could use a remote switch for the taillight??

  24. #54
    Flashaholic angerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Unfortunately there's an recall for all Specialized Flux/Stix lights (front&rear).
    specialized.com/safety-notices
    Lights - Rider Notice.pdf
    cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/Specialized-Bicycle-Components-Recalls-Headlights-and-Taillights/

    In German:
    specialized.com/de/de/safety-notices
    Lights - Rider Notice_ger.pdf

    Positive:
    All Flux taillights will be replaced, so everybody will get the new 2015 version with 110lm
    Last edited by angerdan; 03-29-2016 at 12:42 PM.

  25. #55
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    New member here, glad I found this forum - lots of good info. Also, it seems all the people who care about bright lights AND good optics and cutoffs for drivers live here.

    I went to my LBS today to check out this light, prepared to buy it, and could NOT figure out the modes. It seemed like only the middle LED was lighting up regardless of what mode we cycled through.

    It went through [high - low - pulse - strobe] with each press of the S button but only the middle LED was used.
    • We checked that the light was charged (main body button was green).
    • We connected the remote to use the blue high beam button. Light horn worked, and a longer press turned on the high mode (with again just the center LED). A >0.6s press seemed to do nothing. Pressing the blue button again did not return to previous low mode. I don't remember what mode it goes to when pressing the green button from high.
    • Thinking it might be a defective unit, they opened up a new box to find the same behavior. We were getting nowhere and getting spots in our vision, so we gave up. They are going to call their rep to ask about it.


    Any thoughts here? The shop confirmed both units were post-recall.

  26. #56
    Flashaholic angerdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Hey Derek,
    unfortunately photobucket did change their policy. So from 1st of july 2017, no embedding of images on third-party websites, such as personal blogs and forums, is possible for free anymore.
    They sell this function now for $399/year. So is it possible to reupload the pictures to a fair image hoster?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites (link is external)
    Now the thread has raised to 50 posts, what speaks for your review

  27. #57
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,401

    Default Re: REVIEW: Specialized Flux Expert Bicycle Headlight - Photo Intensive

    Quote Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
    Hey Derek,
    unfortunately photobucket did change their policy. So from 1st of july 2017, no embedding of images on third-party websites, such as personal blogs and forums, is possible for free anymore.
    They sell this function now for $399/year. So is it possible to reupload the pictures to a fair image hoster?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites (link is external)
    Now the thread has raised to 50 posts, what speaks for your review
    @angerdan ... this is an older thread, and these types of requests may be better done by PM please, to avoid cluttering the open forum
    ... is the archimedes peak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •