Surefire U2 Condensation/Fogging inside the lens

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Is it normal for the lens to fog up on the inside? I left my U2 in the bathroom cabinet and took a hot bath for a good 35-45 minutes. I checked the light about an hour later and noticed there is a foggy "ring" spot right in the middle of the lens on the inside. Light has never been taken apart or anything and is not an old light (brand new condition). Tailcap was twisted tight all the way.

2rzc1vc.jpg

dnyph5.jpg

inetdog

Enlightened
Is it normal for the lens to fog up on the inside? I left my U2 in the bathroom cabinet and took a hot bath for a good 35-45 minutes. I checked the light about an hour later and noticed there is a foggy "ring" spot right in the middle of the lens on the inside. Light has never been taken apart or anything and is not an old light (brand new condition). Tailcap was twisted tight all the way.

2rzc1vc.jpg

dnyph5.jpg
If the light is not gas/vapor tight, changes in overall temperature can cause the light to breath moist air, which will condense at areas of low temperature. Moderate temperature cycles in a very dry sealed box may reverse this.
If you cannot get at the back of the lens, still disassemble what you can to increase air flow.

eff

Enlightened
I doesn't necessarily mean there's been some water ingest. I had the same issue with my Fenix TK70.
All you have to do is, remove the cells, add some silica gel packets in the battery compartment, and replace the tailcap.
After a few days of this, you'll be able to run your light on high without having any fogging on the lens.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your comments guys. I took the head off last night and in the morning there was no condensation at all inside so it's all good now.

Sarek

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about that previous post. This is the first time in reading /posting from the clf android app. ...

I also have condensation on my alpha. But it seems a bit more excessive than the pictures I've been seeing searching the forums since last night when it happened.

My alpha is about a month old. I've unscrewed both tail cap and head to inspect threads, o ring, and lube upon arrival. This was my first high end flashlight. Everything seemed in good order. I was very pleased with the craftsmanship.

I was showing off to my 5yr old son and dunked the light in the tub (warm water) then later (about 10 minutes) in cold water glass to see if the cold water would help cool the light since i know it gets a little warm while on high (about 2 minutes). Then i took it out of the water.

This is when I noticed the condensation. I read that its common but haven't seen pictures that are similar to how mine looks. Please forgive me if I'm panicking over a non issue.

My question is this amount of water /condensation normal and will the usual desiccant packs inside the sealed tube remedy this much condensation? Thanks in advance for any info. I hope I'm posting in the proper area. Pictures below.

Paul

20150904_211843.jpg

20150904_211834.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
That shouldn't really happen. I swam with an Alpha, as have many others, without a problem. Perhaps it had something to do with the temperature differential with the hot light and the cold water. Anyways, the front o-ring is easy to pick out. I'd remove that lens and let everything dry out. Then I'd email Jason about getting a PSR. You can send it to him to install or get the kit noted there.

nbp

Flashaholic
I had to come back and look at your pics again. It appears your light may already have the PSR actually. That really stumps me then. Definitely email Jason. He stands by his products and can help remedy the problem.