Modifying stock Chrysler minivan flashlight

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Chrysler minivans come with rechargeable flashlights that charge from the car and sit in the truck. They are very, very mediocre. What I'd like to do is replace the guts of the flashlight with modern good stuff, with nice wide dispersion, keep the form factor, the recharging from the car capability, and the red low-battery light.

This is my first time doing this sort of mod, so I just want to run through the basic steps and get some input.

(1) Multimeter what is going to the current dual LEDs
(2) Find a combination of LED, controller (if needed), and optic that fit
(3) Do the switch
(4) Have a beer?

In a nutshell is that right? I'll post more details as I take apart the flashlight and measure stuff.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If they're plastic, forget it; a decent modern torch needs a metal body for heat dissipation.

Route the engine air intake under the bumper, saw off the catalytic converter, then have a beer.

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight

1. They are - maybe the retrofit would have to be more extensive then - including adding metal for dissipation and some sort of venting. Now I really wish I had a CNC machine and 3D scanner - would be perfect to create a new body that fits

2. I could also massively underpower a good LED (e.g. Nichia 219 @ 100mA) or something and still have better light output

Intake

Tell me more!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say, forget about it. I have a Dodge van with that light. Already looked at it. Plastic limits things. You could probably do some minor stuff. But not worth the headache.

Besides, the wifes van & her keychain are set with lights. Off the top of my head she carries, 1 SF ED2L ultra in purse, 1 Dark Sucks Beta SS on keys, A modded 2 D maglite in van door pocket. It still runs on D's. And she keeps a 4 pack of spare D's, SF spare carrier with four CR123's, 4 pack of AA's, and a 8 pack of AAA's (for headphones) all in the cargo bins where the seats fold down.
Of course the sky is the limit if I am on board.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re-fit the space that holds the flashlight, not the flashlight; replace the proprietary plug with a USB cable, replace the clips/holder with clips that will hold some specific USB-charged light.

Routing the intake under the bumper is how you put a cold air intake on a car that they aren't made for. Just a matter of using a CAI from some other car and fitting it into the space roughly where a fog lamp would be. Requires some plumbing creativity obviously, but good for ~10 hp and a louder, more throaty engine sound. Just tell everyone it's an engine from a "Dodge Caravan R/T"..

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Re-fit the space that holds the flashlight, not the flashlight; replace the proprietary plug with a USB cable, replace the clips/holder with clips that will hold some specific USB-charged light.

Routing the intake under the bumper is how you put a cold air intake on a car that they aren't made for. Just a matter of using a CAI from some other car and fitting it into the space roughly where a fog lamp would be. Requires some plumbing creativity obviously, but good for ~10 hp and a louder, more throaty engine sound. Just tell everyone it's an engine from a "Dodge Caravan R/T"..

Nice - although the R/T has the same engine (but I would definitely prefer the Performance suspension). Reminds me of this minivan which I love and my wife has told me she would kill me.

Anyway - I don't want to change the OEM nature of the flashlight - it clicks in nicely, fits aesthetically. I just want a wider brighter beam spread than the OEM which is crap. I'll just buy a spare and then start experimenting to get it all to work. Now I really wish I had a 5-axis CNC to carve out an exact copy out of Alu for heat dissipation.

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Finally got a spare one off of eBay to take apart and start messing with.

Here are pics of the parts:

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Seems like there is about 9mm height available for a flashlight head.

So objectives are:
(A) Maintain OEM flashlight case shape so it snaps right in.
(B) Maintain OEM charging capability from car
(C) Get much brighter, broader output

So basic plan is
(1) Get a larger battery and controller for charging
(2) Find a nice LED flashlight head or two that can fit within the ~1cm space available with broad bright dispersion
(3) Controller for the LED
(4) Switch

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Looks like a pleasant Altoids tin project; there appears to be quite a bit of empty space there though - I picture an emitter sitting atop a finned slab of aluminium, the case cutaway on the sides to expose it..

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a pleasant Altoids tin project; there appears to be quite a bit of empty space there though - I picture an emitter sitting atop a finned slab of aluminium, the case cutaway on the sides to expose it..

I like this idea. Part of the reason I am doing this is just a learning/practice project. So I just need to sort out pieces to put it all together and figure out how to get it all to fit.

I have some Nichia 219 stars and Supertex CL6 controllers for them. I am thinking I could dremel off the side of the two stars, but I am unsure what optics would work for a nice wide spread. Then to find a nice slab of aluminum to heat mount them and later replace the controller with something brighter.