*NEW* ThruNite TN4A - 1150 Lumens 4xAA XP-L Light

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
KejlFFg.png

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn4a-cw/

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E41 only does full power when you hold the switch down which is annoying. F40A...I just have no use for the red/blue lights and the main beam just doesnt throw according to Selfbuilt. I just bought the new 2015 edition Nitecore EA41 at a supposed 1020 lumens. Although my "older" EA41 is a GREAT light it is still the dimmest of my four stubbies, even my Eagletac GX25A3 which runs on a mere 3 AA's totally outshines it. I noticed the Thrunite is specified to use NiMH cells that are no less than 2450mah so it looks like I will be ordering this impossibly well priced light as well as some Eneloop Pro's

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Done! Placed my pre-order at the Thrunite website and cant wait! I have noticed that Thrunite lumen ratings seem to have been dead on in independent tests such as Selfbuilts TN12 test. Kudos to Thrunite any other manufacturer would be selling this hot 4xAA bomb for twice as much!

dizrack

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a 2015 ea41 too. It looks like the ea41 will still compare favourably to the tn4a in terms of throw and peak beam intensity. Dimensions are comparable except the ea41 is 25% lighter without batteries in either light..

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had my 2015 edition EA41 a couple of days now and it truly is better than the original in every way. I have no clue how Nitecore got so much more throw out of what I believe is the same reflector but it sure looks like they did it. Turbo output crushes the original EA41 but by how much I dont know as I dont have any testing equipment. Must be a good amount as my 2015 EA41 gets pretty warm on turbo, my original EA41 doesnt even get warm lol. As for the TN4A Ive been reading up on LSD AA cells here on the forum for the light and am sure glad I have this forum as a resource. Duracell Ion Core AA are LSD as well as reliably charging to over 2450mah capacity which cuts my costs in half vs Eneloop Pros. It is said here on the forum that Duracell Ion Cores are rebadged Eneloop Pro/XX cells and according to testing done over in the battery section of the forum this appears to be the case so thanks CPF!!

Am running an older but barely used set of 4x Eneloop XX in my new 2015 EA41 so far so very good they really seem to crank the power as well as hold a charge. Missed the weight difference between the TN4A and EA41 thanks for pointing that out

incd

Newly Enlightened
Default Re: *NEW* ThruNite TN4A - 1150 Lumens 4xAA XP-L Light

New Thrunite TN4A, interesting price

I was looking for 4AA flashlight, when i saw this light.

The price is realy tempting compared to others flashlight in this format.

It use XP L, i wonder, is XP L is more floodier or more thrower than XM L?

Last edited by a moderator:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Default Re: *NEW* ThruNite TN4A - 1150 Lumens 4xAA XP-L Light

Ive got 2 XP-L lights the Eagletac T25C2 in XP-L and the Jetbeam 3M Pro XP-L. Luckily I also have the Eagletac XM-L2 T25C2 to compare to. The XP-L's really throw well my XP-L Eagletac easily outthrows its XM-L2 brother. The closest beam comparison to my Jetbeam is the Sunwayman D40A which means the beam is tighter, well defined and bright as hell. The tint of both my XP-L lights are very very blue I dont mind though as both XP-L lights throw out the most convincing 1000+ lumens Ive ever seen out of like sized lights. Looks like everyone will be switching over to the XP-L from XM-L2 as from what Ive read the XP-L is just more efficient all around. Of course as soon as most makers change over to XP-L then the XP-L2 will come out lol. I am anxiously awaiting my TN4A on order from Thrunite. Thrunite says its an 1150 lumen light and my bet is that once released and tested here on the forums it will be dead on 1150 lumens

torchflux

Newly Enlightened

No pics, but read in text description it has a battery holder.

EA41, and the entire EagleTac line (just for example) has already switched to integral tube carriers with end cap contacts for multi-cell lights.

For this flashlight consumer it's a feature sought in this design configuration; and for a (smaller cell) 4AA light, it seems like fumbling with the battery holder would become inconvenient.

TN36 also, disappointingly has one.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
battery carrier in the dark would be FAR easier to work with changing cells as you can feel around the carrier for where the springs are and are not. To note...my recent Eagletac T25c2 XP-L acquisition the beam is like someone took a Fenix TK15 and more than doubled the output!

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
battery carrier in the dark would be FAR easier to work with changing cells as you can feel around the carrier for where the springs are and are not.
Understood what you're saying, but sorry - disagree; and dark vs. light ambient visibility while changing cells wasn't what I was getting at.

imho battery carriers for small-cell AA/AAA lights are inconvenient, awkward due to the size & form factor. With small cells it's easier-faster just to drop them in (think not only flashlights, but also e.g. cameras).

fwiw I also believe this applies to larger size cells too. Forgive me ;) I have a thing against battery carriers, unless they're 'integrally' well engineered and otherwise robust, failure-proof. Fenix has come closest there on a few of their high end designs. Carriers are just one additional separate/loosely/tenuously tethered component, separate from the main light body, which has failure/loss/damage-outside-the-light potential. And, one more thing to fumble with (in any situation, irrespective of ambient light/weather conditions).

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood what you're saying, but sorry - disagree; and dark vs. light ambient visibility while changing cells wasn't what I was getting at.

imho battery carriers for small-cell AA/AAA lights are inconvenient, awkward due to the size & form factor. With small cells it's easier-faster just to drop them in (think not only flashlights, but also e.g. cameras).

fwiw I also believe this applies to larger size cells too. Forgive me ;) I have a thing against battery carriers, unless they're 'integrally' well engineered and otherwise robust, failure-proof. Fenix has come closest there on a few of their high end designs. Carriers are just one additional separate/loosely/tenuously tethered component, separate from the main light body, which has failure/loss/damage-outside-the-light potential. And, one more thing to fumble with (in any situation, irrespective of ambient light/weather conditions).

I've got the D40A and the carrier is seemingly well made/engineered. One benefit to a carrier is that if a spring goes dwanky on us, or a solder joint at a spring terminal goes bad, it's not too hard to buy a new carrier and just swap it in, instead of sending the entire light in for repair.

Chris

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
^^ yes this is true, it can be replaced more easily as a separate component. Again would depend on the light design/manufacturer in question. But overall, with several well-engineered, -manufactured and -integrated exceptions, battery carriers — particularly for smaller-cell lights — seem a design-concept-introduced weak point. Better from an engineering design point of view to just make a solid, reliable light body with integral battery wells and contact cap. imho.
(and the decision not to do this, on the part of manufacturers I would suspect/guess is primarily to do with overhead costs.)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these to add to my 4AA light collection! I have a Nitecore EA4 (3 of them actually!), Sunwayman D40A, and a Sunwayman M40A. This one may be the best value of them all. I should have it on Tuesday!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Placed my pre-order over a week ago are these already shipping? Thought they were not going to be released until the 10th? Cant wait it will be my 3rd XP-L light and my experience with the first two so far (ET T25C2 XP-L and Jetbeam 3m Pro XP-L) have been fantastic...

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Placed my pre-order over a week ago are these already shipping? Thought they were not going to be released until the 10th? Cant wait it will be my 3rd XP-L light and my experience with the first two so far (ET T25C2 XP-L and Jetbeam 3m Pro XP-L) have been fantastic...

I did not order it through Thrunite, and have been notified that it shipped. I will find out tomorrow!! :naughty:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my TN4A about 30 minutes ago! First impressions are this is one solid light. It also comes with a nice holster and three spare O rings. It also came with a rubber switch cover, but there is no instructions on how to install it. I will post a photo of it a bit later, but has anybody had any experience with this model? The switch as it is, looks a bit "naked!" It cannot be too complex of an operation to put it on, I just do not want to damage my new toy!! :)