Fenix TK45 weak battery holder springs. Can I stretch them?

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Thank you for you help this week on my TN31 and UC35. I have been using my Fenix Tk 45 and found the batteries do not make full contact in the holder. I have been using small rare earth magnets on the lower battery positive contact to force a tight fit. I am concerned if changing batteries at night outdoors I will lose a magnet. Any ideas how to fix this. I was thinking of stretching the lower spring with pliers but seems this might night be the best method and most likely will harm the holder.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the magnets work, you are probably ok.

Now, I usually glue mine on with some super glue AROUND the magnet once its in place. I never leave them not glued on the Positive!! Trust me! They can shift under the wrapper on the top and be stuck making contact to the negative side. Its a mess! You will be running and throwing batteries outside if your lucky.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
If the magnets work, you are probably ok.

Now, I usually glue mine on with some super glue AROUND the magnet once its in place. I never leave them not glued on the Positive!! Trust me! They can shift under the wrapper on the top and be stuck making contact to the negative side. Its a mess! You will be running and throwing batteries outside if your lucky.

Thank you. As these AA batteries are button tops I have no side to glue on. I moved the magnets to the negative side touching the spring. Thanks for the safety guidance. These are rechargeable enloops if it makes a difference. I was thinking of getting conductive clue and gluing on negative side. Still wish I could swap springs.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard of having to use magnetic spacers for AA lights.

I'd probably measure the height of the unrestrained spring, the batteries your using, then hold the spring base while pulling up on the spring top center.

Something isn't right if the batteries won't or don't make contact with a industry standard battery like AA cells.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Never heard of having to use magnetic spacers for AA lights.

I'd probably measure the height of the unrestrained spring, the batteries your using, then hold the spring base while pulling up on the spring top center.

Something isn't right if the batteries won't or don't make contact with a industry standard battery like AA cells.

Thanks for the suggestion of measuring. I am using Panasonic NiMh. They measure 50.027. The enloop measure 50.047. Funny the two enloops fit. Who would have that 0.40 would have made it or break it situation. Problem is I have a lot of the pannies. That would explain why the very tiny magnets make up the void. I think I am going to maybe expoxy the magnets on the bottom. Any idea what conductive epoxy to use. Thank you.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't remember if it was Battery Junction or Illumn that had conductive epoxy, silver filler. It's two syringes that need mixing in equal parts.

I used some for a NBP52 ground plate installation.

If you only need .020 which your math shows, I'd hold the spring base and stretch the spring.

Last edited:

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
As rhe as the holder is 4 x2 confiquration I would need to stretch .040. Is that doable?

i have the other light to plat with but if swapping out in the dark and they fall out the chance of putting one in backwards can happen. Thank you everyone.

Don't remember if it was Battery Junction or Illumn that had conductive epoxy, silver filler. It's two syringes that need mixing in equal parts.

I used some for a NBP52 ground plate installation.

If you only need .020 which your math shows, I'd hold the spring base and stretch the spring.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
.040" is doable.
The Tk45 holder looks like you could insert a pair of needle nose pliers between the coils and open them to stretch the coils.
Is your holder clear or black? I ask because some people have had issues with the clear one cracking around the screw holes.
I don't own a tk45, but the holder appears to be just like the holder used on the tk41.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
.040" is doable.
The Tk45 holder looks like you could insert a pair of needle nose pliers between the coils and open them to stretch the coils.
Is your holder clear or black? I ask because some people have had issues with the clear one cracking around the screw holes.
I don't own a tk45, but the holder appears to be just like the holder used on the tk41.

Thank you. The TK45 holder is black. I will try the needle nose pliers between the springs but not between the bottom one. That is a nice trick. I have a nitecore TN 31 with a better holder but that is too narrow of a beam in the house with 20 foot rooms. I have just began playing with my lights after a few a years lull. I forgot how much knowledge is here.
Again thank you everyone for your help.

Latest posts