Issues With A Fenix LD10

JoePike

Newly Enlightened
I've lurked here for quite some time, but this is my first post so bear with me.I have a Fenix PD20 that I have carried quite a while and it has never failed me once. I've dropped it more than once and it still keeps going. I liked it so much that I bought an LD20 that stays next to my XD9 in case I need it (after two attempted break-ins while I was asleep these are never far from me).I decided to buy my mom a decent light and went with the LD10. She just uses it to look in the cupboards and such, so, it looks like new. Last week it decided it would only turn on when it wanted to. So, I took it apart and cleaned the contact surfaces with acohol, lubed the o-rings and put in another battery. Same thing - sometimes it will come on, sometimes not. That made me think it was the switch. I got another switch from Fenix and that made no difference at all. So, what am I missing?

bright star

Newly Enlightened
Problems with Fenix LD 41. As stated I'm having a problem with the mode switch. Sometimes it freezes I cannot change the mode then it goes back has anybody else had any problems with the dual tail cap switch. ? Curious. Other than that it's a fantastic light.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome:Joe, i would say driver then,contact fenix and maybe they can send you head part. They sent me a replacement e25 burst head when i had issues,of course a different light but my issues were working for a few days,then would flicker on low..............then dead! nothing! . However no rear switch on this light so pretty easy to diagnose.......as head has switch in it. Took around 3 weeks to receive after being posted from China.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Make sure the retaining ring in the tailcap is tightened.
That's a common reason to intermittent contact problems.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you tried 2 different switches.
That makes the retaining ring theory less likely.

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
If the retaining ring is tightened and it doesn't work (especially if you can bypass it), the problem is evidently at the emitter/driver end.

If it's still within warranty they should send you a new one.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way determine if the problem is in the head with certainty is to entirely by-pass the body and clicky. With just the head, hold a AA batt to the positive contact pad and run a wire from the neg. batt. terminal to 1) the threads in the head to test the loose bezel modes, and 2) both the threads and brass contact ring circling the circuit board to test for the tight bezel modes.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hi Joe,please send an email to fenix customer service center(email address:[email protected]) ,we will help you;you could also contact with your dealer for help.

JoePike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. Retaining ring is tight and everything is clean. Haven't tried to bypass yet, so, I'll do that and see what happens. It isn't in warranty, so, I don't want to bother Fenix with it. And, there isn't a dealer around me. I usually pick them up on Ebay from dealers there. Hopefully I didn't get a counterfit.

On a side note, I use good alkaline batteries in it, but do I need to use something else? I bought it because I could use alkalines in it, but maybe I need to do something different.