JetBeam WL-S1/WL-S2 FAIL 1xcr123, 18650, AA, 14500 or 2xcr123 blah blah blah

Berneck1

Enlightened
Ok, where do I begin. I have never had any experience with JetBeam flashlights before, but my first impression is not good.

I purchased both the WL-S1 and WL-S2 flashlights. Right off the bat, the marketing material, and descriptions on the boxes are terribly misleading. I had an idea this would be the case, but I was still curious about the expanding tube on the WL-S1, so I went ahead and bought them for $40 each. Each light by themselves doesn't seem bad for $40.

I'm going to try and explain this as best I can without being confusing.

Starting with the WL-S1. This light comes with the shorter tube. This tube will only accept a single CR123, 16340, AA or 14500. The light worked well, and max lumens is 770 with a 16340 battery. Not the 900 lumens on the box. It's really cool how the tube expands to accept a single 14500 or AA. Also, the spring in the tube keeps the AA snuggly in place. There is no rattle whatsoever. I've been looking for a light like this because I like the performance of the 16340, and I like that I could pick up an AA battery at any store and still have a useful light in a pinch. No extra extension tube needed. The drawback to this light is that the head is awfully large for a single CR123/AA light. Also, when the tube is expanded I'm not so sure how that affects the waterproof rating. There is definitely some space between the tubes. All-in-all the S1 isn't so bad.

Things get worse with the WL-S2. This light has the longer tube. The tube only accepts 1x18650 or 2xCR123/16340 batteries. Supposedly you get 900 lumens with 2x16340 batteries. I say supposedly because when I put my Eagletac 16340 batteries in the light it would just flash quickly and not work. I tried some Tenergy RCR123 batteries and the same thing happened. I tried some Duracell CR123 primaries and they worked. (900 lumens) The difference in size between the three battery types were minuscule. So, I don't think it's the size of the batteries. Also all three battery types rattled in the tube like crazy. I feel they could have made the spring a little stronger to accommodate this. My Eagletac 18650 battery worked just fine, but at a lower lumen output of 790. A small difference in my opinion, but worth noting. When I switched the tubes between the two light heads, the results were the same. The marketing material claims it can handle 2x16340, so I don't understand why it would flash and then not work.

Another thing to mention is the misleading packaging. If you read either box, it says each light will work with any combination of 1xCR123/16340/AA or 18650 or 2x CR123/16340/AA. Obviously, this couldn't be further from the truth. There's no mention of needing separate tubes. As I said, I suspected this going in, but I guarantee a lot of people will be misled.

A few more observations.

Selling the larger head with the smaller tube doesn't make any sense. If you want a single CR123 light, you most likely want it to be compact. The larger head would have made more sense on the larger tube. It boggles the mind to try and understand what they were thinking.
JetBeam really gave no thought to how they were selling these lights. OR, they want to "force" people to buy each light and then configure each how you want.

The included manual is very poorly written. I don't know if that's just a JetBeam thing or not.

JetBeam are misleading their customers in a few ways. As I mentioned only one configuration can achieve 900 lumens and as shipped one of the lights will never achieve that in spite of what the box claims. The marketing material on their website actually mentions three configurations. I assume the smaller head with the smaller tube will eventually be sold also. This is the configuration most people would want I think. Again, of the three configurations they show, only one will achieve 900 lumens, yet JetBeam has no problem plastering 900 LUMENS on each box.

The bottom line is there are really two flashlights being sold. For all intents and purposes, one is a 1xCR123/AA light, and the other is a 2xCR123/1x18650 light. Guess what? I have a few lights I could pair and be able to use all the batteries mentioned in their marketing material. Can I swap the heads and tubes with them, no. Is that really that useful? Maybe. I'm sure there are some differences in throw and flood.

I may be nitpicking more than anything, but you can't deny that the marketing is quite misleading. Nothing new with these companies, but this time seems a little egregious. What I would like is the WL-S2 with the shorter tube. The real story here is the expandable CR123/AA tube. Everything else is the same old story, but JetBeam tried to make it bigger than it is. I would have respected them more if they sold the heads and tubes separately, and been more clear on the output for each configuration; including what batteries you use for each.

Curious as to what others think...

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have just the wls1 and love it. the moonlight mode is the lowest output iv ever seen in a flashlight. imo turbo it seems brighter then 790 lumens on one 16340 battery.

the throw is nice aswell. Im shipping it to vinh today to see if he can mod it. I prefer the single 16340 set up

Berneck1

Enlightened
Yeah, I like that smaller tube. But I want it with the WL-S2 head.

The WL-S1 light is the better option between the two, in my opinion. The WL-S2 is just another 18650/2xCR123 light. Jetbeam should have just focused on the selling points of the smaller expandable tube. Instead they tried to make into something it is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
I spoke to the store I bought the lights from, and they sort of acknowledged that there is some confusion surrounding these lights, and that they are not quite what was expected.

swan

Banned
i have just the wls1 and love it. the moonlight mode is the lowest output iv ever seen in a flashlight. imo turbo it seems brighter then 790 lumens on one 16340 battery.

the throw is nice aswell. Im shipping it to vinh today to see if he can mod it. I prefer the single 16340 set up
Good news, cant wait for mine.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I completely agree that the marketing is misleading. I ordered just the S2, because I didn't want the larger head. But at the same time, after reading their marketing info, I actually thought (foolishly) that there MIGHT have been a way to use the configurations they spoke of, JUST with the S2. It also doesn't help that the materials are written in "Chinese-English". And when they mention "kits" and "DIY" using the S1 head, tube & tailcap on the S2 it sounded like (as Berneck1 said) they're counting on most people buying both lights. In retrospect, I would've preferred the S1, but obviously with a smaller bezel. Oh...........by the way.........my AW 16340's work perfectly (including the rattle) in the S2. They are the only brand of RCR I have, so I couldn't try another type to test the original theory. I love the 5 lighting modes, but I'm not too thrilled about the HIGH to LOW sequence. I much prefer low to high.

Last edited:

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
They're making the tubes available by themselves in the near future. The initial marketing language was not the best, as they will admit.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Mine doesnt even work :(

I tried an AW 16340, Keeppower 16340, Trustier 16340, AA duracell rechargeable.
It light up sometimes, got the 50% warning, but it keeps slashing on the low and i can only change to moon light which also blinks. Then it completely dies.
And after a few minutes (10) i try to turn on again, it struggles, turns on, on the blinking low and then dies.

And also the lens seems to be dirty, there is lots of flint.

Steve Chow

Newly Enlightened
Ok, where do I begin. I have never had any experience with JetBeam flashlights before, but my first impression is not good.

I purchased both the WL-S1 and WL-S2 flashlights. Right off the bat, the marketing material, and descriptions on the boxes are terribly misleading. I had an idea this would be the case, but I was still curious about the expanding tube on the WL-S1, so I went ahead and bought them for $40 each. Each light by themselves doesn't seem bad for $40.

I'm going to try and explain this as best I can without being confusing.

Starting with the WL-S1. This light comes with the shorter tube. This tube will only accept a single CR123, 16340, AA or 14500. The light worked well, and max lumens is 770 with a 16340 battery. Not the 900 lumens on the box. It's really cool how the tube expands to accept a single 14500 or AA. Also, the spring in the tube keeps the AA snuggly in place. There is no rattle whatsoever. I've been looking for a light like this because I like the performance of the 16340, and I like that I could pick up an AA battery at any store and still have a useful light in a pinch. No extra extension tube needed. The drawback to this light is that the head is awfully large for a single CR123/AA light. Also, when the tube is expanded I'm not so sure how that affects the waterproof rating. There is definitely some space between the tubes. All-in-all the S1 isn't so bad.

Things get worse with the WL-S2. This light has the longer tube. The tube only accepts 1x18650 or 2xCR123/16340 batteries. Supposedly you get 900 lumens with 2x16340 batteries. I say supposedly because when I put my Eagletac 16340 batteries in the light it would just flash quickly and not work. I tried some Tenergy RCR123 batteries and the same thing happened. I tried some Duracell CR123 primaries and they worked. (900 lumens) The difference in size between the three battery types were minuscule. So, I don't think it's the size of the batteries. Also all three battery types rattled in the tube like crazy. I feel they could have made the spring a little stronger to accommodate this. My Eagletac 18650 battery worked just fine, but at a lower lumen output of 790. A small difference in my opinion, but worth noting. When I switched the tubes between the two light heads, the results were the same. The marketing material claims it can handle 2x16340, so I don't understand why it would flash and then not work.

Another thing to mention is the misleading packaging. If you read either box, it says each light will work with any combination of 1xCR123/16340/AA or 18650 or 2x CR123/16340/AA. Obviously, this couldn't be further from the truth. There's no mention of needing separate tubes. As I said, I suspected this going in, but I guarantee a lot of people will be misled.

A few more observations.

Selling the larger head with the smaller tube doesn't make any sense. If you want a single CR123 light, you most likely want it to be compact. The larger head would have made more sense on the larger tube. It boggles the mind to try and understand what they were thinking.
JetBeam really gave no thought to how they were selling these lights. OR, they want to "force" people to buy each light and then configure each how you want.

The included manual is very poorly written. I don't know if that's just a JetBeam thing or not.

JetBeam are misleading their customers in a few ways. As I mentioned only one configuration can achieve 900 lumens and as shipped one of the lights will never achieve that in spite of what the box claims. The marketing material on their website actually mentions three configurations. I assume the smaller head with the smaller tube will eventually be sold also. This is the configuration most people would want I think. Again, of the three configurations they show, only one will achieve 900 lumens, yet JetBeam has no problem plastering 900 LUMENS on each box.

The bottom line is there are really two flashlights being sold. For all intents and purposes, one is a 1xCR123/AA light, and the other is a 2xCR123/1x18650 light. Guess what? I have a few lights I could pair and be able to use all the batteries mentioned in their marketing material. Can I swap the heads and tubes with them, no. Is that really that useful? Maybe. I'm sure there are some differences in throw and flood.

I may be nitpicking more than anything, but you can't deny that the marketing is quite misleading. Nothing new with these companies, but this time seems a little egregious. What I would like is the WL-S2 with the shorter tube. The real story here is the expandable CR123/AA tube. Everything else is the same old story, but JetBeam tried to make it bigger than it is. I would have respected them more if they sold the heads and tubes separately, and been more clear on the output for each configuration; including what batteries you use for each.

Curious as to what others think...

Hi, this is Steve from Jetbeam, we are so sorry about what you been through, could you contact me by email ? Thank you !

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hi, this is Steve from Jetbeam, we are so sorry about what you been through, could you contact me by email ? Thank you !
Hey Steve. I've been having problems with mine. It just doesn't work. I've sent an email about 6 days ago to jetbeam. But no reply. Could you also help me?
I've made a video of proof of not working.

Berneck1

Enlightened

Hi Steve, thanks for your concern. I returned the lights. If you offer the smaller tube with the smaller head, I will most likely purchase one. I hope you take note of what I found wrong. It seems others are having the same issues. And, you really need to do something about how these are being marketed. It IS misleading, while technically not wrong.

As I said before, the real story is the collapsible CR123/AA tube. THAT is what you should be marketing. The other tube simply offers a 2xCR123/18650 configuration; there are plenty of those lights around. Now, had the larger tube had the ability to expand to 2xAA, you would not be able to keep either configuration on the shelf.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Sucks that since mine is not a post about how my jetbeam wl-s1 is false advertising but and issue on quality they don't care at all to help me out and fix. As can be seen in post 10.
Kind of sad that Jetbeam is more interested in how they market their light than helping someone that got one with defect. Makes you think if you should ever get another jetbeam.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Sucks that since mine is not a post about how my jetbeam wl-s1 is false advertising but and issue on quality they don't care at all to help me out and fix. As can be seen in post 10.
Kind of sad that Jetbeam is more interested in how they market their light than helping someone that got one with defect. Makes you think if you should ever get another jetbeam.

Did you email them at least...as he requested?

I'm still waiting to find out if they'll be offering the S1 tube/tail cap separately for the S2 like Marshall from Going Gear alluded to. It would be to their benefit since once I had it, I'd be demonstrating it on YouTube and would talk about it on my website.

Last edited:

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

I'm still waiting to find out if they'll be offering the S1 tube/tail cap separately for the S2 like Marshall from Going Gear alluded to. It would be to their benefit since once I had it, I'd be demonstrating it on YouTube and would talk about it on my website.

They will be. It might be another month or so, but they will be available.

Bruno28

Enlightened

I have but through their email on the website. And it's been almost 2 weeks and no reply

goldenlight

Enlightened
I just bought a Jetbeam WL-S2. It came only with instruction printed in Chinese. The box is printed in ENGLISH, but the damn instructions are printed in CHINESE. I don't read Chinese.

If anyone here knows where to download a manual for this Jetbeam WL-S2, I sure would appreciate a heads up. Jetbeam has exactly ONE manual for ONE flashlight available for download, on their website. One. Unbelievable.

I can adjust the output, but I can't find the other features. Strobe. SOS. There is a blue LED under the side switch. I have no idea what it does, or how. It turns on briefly when I turn the light on, or change the output level. It would be really nice to be able to use all the features this flashlight has.

If someone has the English manual for this flashlight, and could scan it as a .jpg or .gif or .bmp file, and E-mail it to me, that sure would be wonderful. My E-mail is ingold1234[A)yahoo{dt]com. Thank you.

Berneck1

Enlightened
JetBeam could have had a winner on their hands if they went about this differently. The marketing is misleading. The options don't make sense. They clearly sell these in a way to hope you'll buy both lights.

I'll probably never buy a JetBeam light because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums