UltraFire Zoomable Cree XML Q5, how to add memory feature?....

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
Bought a 5 mode UltraFire Zoomable Red LED Cree XML Q5, really like the light, for my needs the throw is great, flood is great, power is more than adequate.
One thing I'd like that the lights doesn't have would be Memory feature, currently doesn't have it, eliminating the strobe and SOS feature would be nice as well. Primarily use the low power setting and have to cycle through all 5 modes to get to last mode used. Ideally just want 2 modes, Low and High with memory, at least eliminate the strobe and SOS mode and add memory.
Read something about swapping in a drop-in, what info I found didn't point to compatibility with the UltraFire and/or quality levels of the available drop–ins.
Willing to spend a little bit for quality even for this inexpensive light.

Any guidance/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a zoomable light, a drop-in almost certainly won't fit.

What you need is a replacement driver. the driver is the small round circuit board at the top of the battery compartment. It has a microprocessor on it that specifies all the modes.

Without knowing more details of your light, it is hard to recommend a specific driver. You'll need to disassemble your light so you can inspect the current driver and measure its width.

Hopefully a 17mm diameter driver will fit so you can swap in a new custom one. The best place to get a custom driver is probably Mountain Electronics. They have a wide variety of custom drivers. You can specify how much power you want the driver to supply to the LED, exactly what modes to include, whether to include a turbo timer, and even off-time memory ... a much more intuitive mode memory than possessed by most lights.

Note that in order to install a new driver, you'll need basic soldering skills.

Tip: If you really want to enhance your light, while you're at Mountain Electronics you might also want to purchase a better emitter.

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
If it's a zoomable light, a drop-in almost certainly won't fit.

What you need is a replacement driver. the driver is the small round circuit board at the top of the battery compartment. It has a microprocessor on it that specifies all the modes.

Without knowing more details of your light, it is hard to recommend a specific driver. You'll need to disassemble your light so you can inspect the current driver and measure its width.

Hopefully a 17mm diameter driver will fit so you can swap in a new custom one. The best place to get a custom driver is probably Mountain Electronics. They have a wide variety of custom drivers. You can specify how much power you want the driver to supply to the LED, exactly what modes to include, whether to include a turbo timer, and even off-time memory ... a much more intuitive mode memory than possessed by most lights.

Note that in order to install a new driver, you'll need basic soldering skills.

Tip: If you really want to enhance your light, while you're at Mountain Electronics you might also want to purchase a better emitter.

Great info, thank you for taking the time to respond.
Basic soldering skills I have.
Checked out the Mountain Electronics driver page, I do have some limited electrical savvy though I admit some of what I was looking at was a bit over my head regarding knowing what I need to properly satisfy my end goal. The 20mm FET driver might be what I am after?...:confused:
My light uses 3 AAA batteries in a holder of sorts, (I prefer to use the alkaline for now, work supplies me batteries for my work flashlight), performance wise as it sits now is plenty powerful, infact the Low power setting is what I use most as it is more than adequate for the tasks and longer battery life. If my Emitter isn't compatible with the new driver board upgrading it will be done as well. Really like this body and its quick on-the-fly beam focusing. :thumbsup:

Took the light apart, snapped a few pics. The board atop the batteries under the LED board measures 20mm.

Emitter;

Bottom of driver board;

Top of Driver board;

Recommendations/ to go from here regarding Mountain Electronics setting me up with a new driver?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a kind of step up board to fit smaller drivers in larger cavity.
U can look up on it..

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
There is a kind of step up board to fit smaller drivers in larger cavity.
U can look up on it..

I'm fairly green regarding torches, please bear with me.

Quick search revealed "step-up" would be for utilizing a different source voltage vs the voltage required by the load, in this case stepping up the voltage from my AAA's to the higher voltage demands of the driver. Is that what you were referring to? If so, by your post am I to infer this is something I will need due to available drivers with my existing batteries and emitter? or just an option should I want to refine/customize this light?.... The light as-shipped emitter and batteries seem to play well together currently.

Looking for a simple fix here, nothing complex, the light was inexpensive to begin with, I don't mind spending another $20-$40 for a single part that will allow memory feature and eliminate strobe-SOS.

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
Just noticed thread was moved to here from Budget Lights. :confused:
Probably should have included in original post that I'm not wanting to build a full tilt customized light or start a lens-to-tail project build, just looking for a simple mod or single purchase solution to add memory to my cheapo light and also eliminate strobe and SOS if possible.

Input/recommendations to achieve this goal greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, ive sent u a PM with all the websites.
Do check them out.

And probably its due to ur title being "ultrafire", thats why its moved here.

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
Hey, ive sent u a PM with all the websites.
Do check them out.

And probably its due to ur title being "ultrafire", thats why its moved here.

Great, checked em out, PM replied, thank you.

Curious, is Ultrafire normally synonymous with Home-Made flashlights?

Thanks again, all help is greatly appreciated,
Paul

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
DellSuperman has been helpful, thank you.

In further research it seems 17mm drivers for 3 alkaline AA/AAA batts and my emitter are fairly common, my torch has a 20mm driver, 17mm wont seat.
Does anyone offer a stepped reducing ring of sorts that will allow 17mm drivers to physically fit in the 20mm register? (Assuming it needs to be a conductive material as the body is the return path)?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, checked em out, PM replied, thank you.

Curious, is Ultrafire normally synonymous with Home-Made flashlights?

Thanks again, all help is greatly appreciated,
Paul
Erm, my bad.. It is probably due to ur questions being about modifications of the flashlight thats why its here.
I thought it was moved to Budget lights, hence the "Ultrafire" statement.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mountain Electronics used to sell 20 and 21mm contact plates. I haven't checked but I assume they still do. Glue your driver to the contact plate, then solder up the connections into a sandwich. The contact plate is then wide enough to seat propertly.

Alternately, Mountain Electronics also sells 20mm drivers ("FET Driver - 20mm"). However, please note that these boards are typically built to order. They're showing out of stock right now, but that may be because Richard is catching up on orders. In a couple weeks they might be back in stock.

I DO recommend paying the extra $1 for "off-time memory". It's definitely the way to go if you want memory in lights like this without an e-switch.
Do NOT get the zener diode mode. That's only for use if you plan to run 2 li-ion cells in series to power a large MTG2 LED. For your use, skip that.