Old School 36V 400W Project

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
Hello from Scotland! :wave: First post from me.
I dream of 300W HID projects but my budget is very tight this is what I've come up with.
An Osram HLX 64663 EVD A1/239 36v 400w G6,35 powered by three 12V SLA batteries in series, mounted in a pipe I've found.
I just need to source a reflector to suit the collimator I've ordered. More news soon hopefully.
Please don't hesitate to comment "That won't work" my electronic knowledge is very limited, I'm more of a mechanical engineer.
(Also found that orange pipe, just need to source a satellite dish to use as a reflector for a future experiment :naughty: )
Ecg90SE.png

1XcwTME.png

MMD

Enlightened
This is interesting. What are you planning to do with it? Do you just want to see what you can make? It should be heavy with the SLA batteries. Depending on your use you may need to mount it to a tripod or some other structure.

japudjuha

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, good to have another crazy inventor on board .

One other thing you can do is mount the 64663 in a larger reflector. A lot of guys have done this
with a Lightforce 240 Blitz handheld, originally made by member Queenslander I believe.
I have made this project, and WOW, it lights up 1000+meters. Just amazing.

Sky's the limit mate,, have a wander around and you will soon find some Ideas that you want to run with!!!

Last edited:

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
Well thats another part collected 40, yes 40 12V SLD batteries for the sum total of £3.20 ($5.00)
20 are brand new, while the rest very lightly used, they look new too truthfully.

HiIkcaP.png

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
I love Ebay, its like being a little boy again on Christmas day!
christmas-smiley-094.gif

9TXZzqc.png

Last edited:

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
This lamp was insanely bright, my camera has auto white balance so it dims the picture. Jury rig testing proved succecssful, https://vid.me/0vyv

[video]https://vid.me/0vyv[/video]

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what I won on Ebay UK for £13.50 $20 shipped. :shrug:
It'll be interesting unpacking this lot.
All new/unused, boxes a bit damaged.
Seller couldn't provide any futher details before end of auction.
Projector bulbs osram philips ge and 3m ushio job lot.
4ke847m.jpg

[h=1][/h]

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
Jackpot! 3 x 150watt UHP, 3 x 200watt UHP, 1 x 250watt UHP lamps.
24 x 36volt 400watt, 20 x 24volt 250watt & 3 12volt 100watt lamps.
I got to research how to light those UHPs, has anyone had any success procuring ballasts on there own?
[my HD video camera takes poor low light pictures btw]

wXZzcL6.jpg

hTlowS9.jpg

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
Experimenting with twin 400 watt, 36 volt spots, 12 volt twin strobe, eagle eye, & a 50watt spot.
33cp2cg.jpg

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Nice work! Definitely subscribing to this one. ;)
Thanks, I have no idea what I'm doing really but I'll learn from my mistakes.
be78ll.jpg

Also experimenting with methods of focusing the beam from a 64663 bulb in my first prototype.
This didn't work, the beam converged about 10 feet away from the fresnel lens. :sigh:

[h=3][/h]

scotsguy

Newly Enlightened
In other news 36v 400w related news, I have just acquired this 220 x 90mm :sick2: aspheric lens which I am about to experiment with. :naughty:
It weighs nearly 2kg though. Click image to see full size >