LEDcorp - Our Best Aluminum, Comments/recommends

M

McTrent

Hi Folks,

Been searching around now for a cheap LED that somewhat mimics an X-Files flashlight, (I know the real ones used start at about $1900). I'm looking for something to throw in my saddlebags on my motorcycle so size isn't a real big factor, but I'm also looking in the less than $50 range.

I can't find many reviews on LEDcorp's "Our Best Aluminum", which seems to fit what I'm looking for. Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Trent

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses the same bulb as the Turtle Light 1, which was horribly dim and narrow. For its day it was almost a revolution - the concept of a long throwing LED flashlight. But to me, the fixed-focus TL1 was too narrow to be of use up close, and too dim to be of use further away, and now is old news. Plus it was bulky and expensive for its output, if it were smaller it wouldn`t seem so bad. The only upside was the run-time which was measured in days or something mad like that.

The aluminum one, from what I have been able to gather, gives the same narrow beam but has an option to de-focus it and introduce some rings and donut-holes, spreading that weak light over a bigger area. I have never seen one in person, but just going by specs on paper, next to a MaxaBeam it`s nothing. Though it has a similar cold-white narrow beam, it is many orders of magnitude dimmer (~60cd vs ~6000000cd), and would need a whole lot of stage-smoke and complete darkness to get the beam to show up through the air. You will be dissapointed I`m sure.

There aren`t many other commercially made narrow-beam LED lights out there right now. PT Impact is one (there is also a smaller Impact 2 now), and the Inova X1 is another. Both use lenses to focus the beam, and the Inova is actually quite bright and useful in some aspects. No side-spill whatsoever though, which is one thing the LEDCorp lights have in abundence. Even ground down, most of the light from a Nichia 5mm LED goes out of the top away from the reflector, which is one explanation as to why the TL1 is so dim.

If you want the LEDCorp light, hunt down a Dorcy Cool Blue instead (at Walmart, etc) - it`s the exact same thing but a lot cheaper. A better option would be then to fit it with an EverLED Luxeon LED drop-in bulb, avaliable from CPF advertiser LED-Supply. You should probably be able to focus it to an decently narrow beam, and it will be significantly brighter and more useful too. Note that I have not tried this combination myself (I don`t have either of them, only information), but it should work.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M

McTrent

***would need a whole lot of stage-smoke and complete darkness to get the beam to show up through the air***

Not really looking for the light to show up in the air - just a relatively nice even spot (6 - 8 feet?) on an object say 50 to 100 feet away.
Trent

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LEDCorp lite will probably be too narrow, and if not, at least very dim at that distance. A properly focussed EverLED should do what you want. If you already have something like a Mag-lite with an adjustable focus, all you need is the bulb. The accounts I`ve read suggest they aren`t so good with fixed focus lights, you need the adjustability to focus it properly otherwise you can be left with unpredictable results, and need to fiddle with spacers and things to set it right.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Free

Enlightened
Ask them to make yours with their 1w Luxeon bulb, I had them modify mine and it makes a big difference.

M

McTrent

Do you mean their 1 Watt Epieon® Emitter bulb? That's what comes in their "Our Best Aluminum II" and costs 70 bucks. Much more than I want to play.

I don't see any mention of a Luxeon bulb on their website.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
*EDITED* I was composing while you were posting. I didn't see your last post.

McTrent -

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

The fellows responding to your post are much more knowledgeable than I. It sounds like Tree's suggestion might be exactly what you want.

I wanted to throw a somewhat off topic suggestion out here.

Elektro Lumens is a manufacturer that started out modifying flashlights. He's also a longstanding member of CPF.

When I read less than $50.00 range and you would stow it in your motorcycle saddle bags, I thought of a new light he's doing a run on. I think he's making 148 and 100 or so are already pre-paid for.

They are $54.99. This is a 3C cell light running a 3W LS through a 30mm optic. This produces a very nice beam. At fifty feet I would think the pattern would twice the size you specified. However, at 1 meter he's getting 5,000 lux as the light reading. This isn't a mind blowing intensity but very nice.

I think you would be much happier with this light at $5.00 over budget. I should tell you that I'm a big fan of Wayne Johnson's lights and as I've loved everything I've bought so far (Blaster IV, Blaster V and Tri-Star)I am biased in my opinion of this light I've never held in my hands. When completed they will be hard anodized grey unlike this prototype. I thought the rugged appearance might appeal to you.

FT-21-1W-3C.3.jpg

Here is a link to a page on Elektro Lumens Site.

Here is a link to a long thread about the FT-3C

Free

Enlightened
Yes it is the Epion I believe. I didn't realize they are charging that much for the combo!!

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
speaking on the topic to look for the dorcy. i own a dorcy solid state and i belive from what i have heard that the solid state is better. plus i got mine at sears for $12 i also hear that you can get them at wallmart but i have never seen one there. just my 2 cents hope you find what you are looking for.

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
oh sorry but i was wondering does ledcorp make a 6 cell Epieon® bulb. thanks