Newbie needs advise

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. I got my lathe today. I got the HF 7X10. I know, I should have gotten the 7X12 from Homier, but HF is local for me, and if I have any problems, I won't need to deal with shipping. Besides, it was on sale for $329.

Anyway, do any of you more experieced guys have any tips as to what I should get for it and why?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
What tools came with it? a knurling attachment 4 or 5 bits with a range of angles for those interesting places, a really good shatterproof gooseneck lamp ,do a search for basic lathe operation and get a CD ROM on lathe operation. Several pairs of safety glasses, cutting fluid and a compressed air source if your going to do much cutting, a good apron to act as the first ballistic material. you can not have too many bits. You will have a blast using a lathe.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the lathe came with was a tailstock with a live center and a standard tool post. Some tools and gears were also in the box. I picked up a Jacobs chuck for the tail stock.

Now I need some bits and ???

BTW, my live center is really pointy. Can I turn optics with this?

I'll also need a small chuck for small flashlight parts. Any suggestions?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics would ba real challenge, not to shape but to grip, a four jaw head would permit smaller parts to be held. Some suitable sized drill bits and cutting bits with 3 or 4 angles represented and at least the safety eqipment I mentioned in the first response, You only have two eyes !!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question. What size bits should I get. I haven't yet learned to grind my own tools and want to get some pre sharpened ones. What size do I need? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2"?

Do I want to mess with indexable bits? Seems nice to be able to just change the insert.

BTW, I measured from the floor of my tool post to the tip of my center and it measure 5/16, but all I can find in that size are tool bits that need to be ground. I suppose it would be better to go with 3/8" rather than 1/4" right? Better to be above than below the center, right?

Thanks for all of the help.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
5/16 are indeed the ones you need.
they can be had from enco for around $.80.

i did buy the indexable set from hf, but only use one of the bits, which i modded to work as an internal threader.

a boring bar set is a must. www.littlemachineshop.com is one of the best places to aquire the basic lathe needs.
a boring bar set
a boring bar holder
a knurler

in addition to those things, a couple things to get from enco:
the tool blanks (i got 20 of them, you probably won't need that many. i haven't used all mine yet though i'm getting close)
a 60degree center guage
a 60degree threading tool (ouside threading)
a protractor

calipers are also a must. i got the digital ones from hf for $20, and have been very satisfied.

certainly i'm forgetting a lot of things, but that should get you started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif