Using 2xCR123 primaries with a Quark low voltage head?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I know this is not recommended by FourSevens, no need to remind me of that.

I happen to have a TON of Quark Lego parts from over the years and tend to keep them in my vehicles and bags I carry to the cabin. My favorite configuration is a low voltage head with a 17670 or 16650 battery. This is great until the rechargeable dies...

So my question is can 2 primary CR123 batteries power the low voltage heads without blowing it? Has anyone done this without bad results?

LEDburn

Enlightened
I have read of a few people frying their Quarks because the older ones were only distinguishable by looking at the circuit boards. I think since the rebranding, the names are now printed on the heads to help identify them quicker.

I cannot say whether or not the people cooking their lights were using li-ion or primary cells..

I am pretty sure most of the lights were accidently lego'd onto a two cell tube and simply flashed once and that was it.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
But you could probably use 1 x CR123 and a spacer.
I have tried that in my ZL sc62d and it worked fine.

Croquette

Enlightened
You can use the 2L body with one cr123 primary and a cr123 sleeve.

You could carry a spare 1L body with a plastic screwed cap (it will protect the battery).

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
That is what I currently do (1xCR123 body with caps) but it makes it cumbersome to carry more than one spare battery.

I was hoping someone had tried this themselves before...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with the others, don't use 6V in the LV head - you'll fry it.

... My favorite configuration is a low voltage head with a 17670 or 16650 battery. This is great until the rechargeable dies...

One of my favorite configs as well - love the versatility of that head. I just keep a piece of tinfoil in my wallet and make my spacers and/or dummy cells on the fly with a business card and $-bills. With the LV head, you can also use 1xAAA or AA (for that matter, also 9V and 18650 with a bit more effort).

Here's how with 1L in a 2L tube....CLICKY. Notes: You can clump-up the tinfoil to make a button-top. Always use dummy cells on the negative side of a live battery.

I personally EDC a spare 3V CRAA lithium primary since it will power both my LV and HV (lower modes) Quark heads, AND fit in and power my other 2xAA EDC gadgets (with a DIY dummy cell).

Last edited: