Any MT-G2 headlamps?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I don't make my way into this sub-forum much. I'm really liking the characteristics of the MT-G2 but I haven't noticed any manufacturer putting one in a headlamp yet. Did I over look one or am I just wishful thinking. I know I'm not the only one thinking this either because a co-worker with a Fenix TK35 asked me the same thing.

Thanks for any input,

Jamie

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go way out on a limb and state that the MT-G2 LED requires a fair amount of power. Putting two 18650 cells in a head lamp would be weighty. Checking the Cree website, the MT-G2 requires 6 volts minimum. Also available in a 9 and 36 volt version.
I've got three lights with the MT-G2 emitter, and they are all multi-cell lights.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, I've modded a few lights to MT-G2. As far as headlamps I was thinking along the lines of a remote battery like the Olight H35 wave. Could care less about the wave feature but I think an MT-G2 in that setup rather than the 3 XM-L2's would be nice. The XM-L's tend to have a different spot tint and corona tint where as the MT-G2's I have seen and used have a very nice as well as even tint. One of my favorites mods has been a "mule" MT-G2 in a Novatac, it just lights up everything in front of you with a pleasing flood of raw light.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be swapping in an MTG2 module in my p60 headlamp host pretty soon.
It's dedomed and has an awesome yellowy tint which works GREAT in the fog out here.
It will be mounted on my fullface helmet tho not on a headband.
If not for the voltage requirements I think the MTG2 is an ideal emitter for headlamp use.
Super floody :)

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
I only know that a few flashlights that use MT-G2 LED,don't know if any headlamp uses this kind of LED,go and check Petzl or BD's website ,you may find some useful information

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The heat it puts out, if used at the power that makes it so much brighter...could be an issue on your head. On a helmet, perhaps not as much of an issue, etc.

As you need two cells in series, minimum, to get the voltage up, and perhaps also more in parallel, and/or circuitry to get the voltage and mah to get headlamp-type runtimes....the remote pack in this application makes sense.

I also think the floody power of this led would be natural for a headlamp if the heat, weight and power issues are addressed.

:D

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think the floody power of this led would be natural for a headlamp if the heat, weight and power issues are addressed.

:D
Hey what's up TEEJ!! How about the SolarStorm mounted on a helmet? Haha just kidding, had to check in with you just to say i'm so excited to be sending my SolarStorm to Vinh for a nice 2015 XML2 U3 upgrade!!! You recommended that light to me a couple years back, you called it the ultimate 'Who goes there' light, SO true, still quite possibly my favorite light. The size and built, the built in hook, the power...absolutely perfect! Still can't get over the ease of carry for having all that power. Did u ever upgrade your LEDs on it?

(I'm not trying to be a thread hijacker but it does look like a dead thread lol)

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
You dont need 2 of 18650 batteries to run an MTG2.
Some drivers can do it with only 1 cell.