Is it normal...?

LuxN

Newly Enlightened
Just recently purchased 2 Nitecore MT2a flashlights. I purchased both of them from different places and noticed that they have COMPLETELY different tints to them. One looks really green and the other has a purplish blue tint to it. Both of them are the same light, same specs, same emitter.. Is this normal for two XP-G2 R5 Led's to put out two completely different colors? Also, the one that looks green has a BUNCH of rings in the beam. What's going on?

ven

Flashaholic
It does happen with flashlights,some brands more than others "tint lottery" springs to mind. Is the led well centred,try running it on turbo a good few times as sometimes it can alter a little(for the better). Is that against a wall for example,how is it outside? worse case return light back if not happy .

My olight sr51 looks quite yellow(CW),but in use its not as obvious and have got used to it now,some have a blue tint,these tend to be nitecore lights and cool white 6500k+

On a similar ish light,i have a couple of fenix e25 burst 2xAA lights,both have a nice white tint,like a pure white with no colours or rings(a very nice beam tbh for the money).

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
My Nitecore SRT7 has a light green tint but I don't notice it too much when I'm using it.

LuxN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply fellas. I've actually ran it quite a few times in turbo. I've been carrying it for about 2 weeks now. Just decided to order another one because I got a great deal on it, when the new one got here I decided to compare beams on the wall. The "newer" one has a nice defined hotspot with a smooth transition of the spill all the way out.. The "older" greener one has about 4-5 different rings in the beam on the wall. It doesn't show that well in the picture but you might be able to see what I'm talking about.

Greener tint with rings MT2a

Its just crazy how one looks great and the other looks very different. If you were to see the beams on the wall you would think they are two completely different lights.

newer bluish tinted smooth beam MT2a

Last edited:

LuxN

Newly Enlightened
The huge corona of the first picture is the part that looks really green, there are a few other rings inside if it but they don't show up on the picture. The outside part of the beam looks more bluish..

On the second picture the whole beam has a bluish whiter tint.

LedTed

Enlightened
I have several NiteCore D11.2 flashlights. Some have snowy white beams. Others have a slight green tint. While others have a slight blue tint. The tints are not too noticeable until you white wall hunt, then a direct comparison of the extreme examples is quite telling. However, in day to day use, the tints are not noticeable.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's normal. There can be significant variations in tint, efficiency, and output from one LED to the next even from the same bin.

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
I'm seeing a little green on the first one but it's hard to tell because cameras, walls, etc. can change how it looks on the internet. My understanding is that of all the visible colors the human eye is most sensitive to green. I agree with LedTed that in everyday use I don't notice it much on mine. That second one is really nice though but I've heard others say that it is not uncommon for Nitecore to have some bluish tint. I'm thinking it's just manufacturing variations.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is normal to notice these things when shining a light inside at a white wall.

It is not normal to notice these things when using a light outside at night.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm
:thinking:
1st off: yes, both is normal.
2nd: there are quite a few threads dealing with at least one of the 2 topics ...

... which I do not understand.
because WHO gets anything else than a "host" body and an individualized P60 led insert (with the tint one wants, granted) anymore?
(but I am used to that this tip usually gets no attention at all, when someone asks for a light advice)

LuxN

Newly Enlightened
hmm
:thinking:
1st off: yes, both is normal.
2nd: there are quite a few threads dealing with at least one of the 2 topics ...

... which I do not understand.
because WHO gets anything else than a "host" body and an individualized P60 led insert (with the tint one wants, granted) anymore?
(but I am used to that this tip usually gets no attention at all, when someone asks for a light advice)

I appreciate you taking the time to respond back.. But not sure why your response seems to be so condescending. I'm sure there are a few threads on the issue with other lights, a few of which I had already read through before I posted. I was hoping that someone may have have the same problem with the specific manufacturer and model that i mentioned in my original post and could help me. Maybe after I've been around here for 12 years and have over 4,000 posts ill be able to :thinking: and respond back sarcastically when someone asks a question.

To everyone else, I truly do appreciate you taking the time for you to answer my question even though it may have been answered in previous posts. I'm still getting the hang of this forum and just starting my flashlight addiction. I'm reading and learning more each day and I'm glad to see that this forum has a bunch of great, helpful, knowledgable people.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe after I've been around here for 12 years and have over 4,000 posts ill be able to :thinking: and respond back sarcastically when someone asks a question.

:naughty::poke::wave::devil::whistle::huh::twothumbs:laughing::clap::rock::hahaha::xyxgun::whoopin::touche::grouphug::poof:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha good one guys ��
I have had this issue and returned lights and received a exchange based on tint. Most companies will comply ��
It does happen.

cpfyyz

Newly Enlightened
I just bought 2 MT2A flashlights and I didn't notice a difference in tint.

Although variations in tint may just not bother me as much since even I barely noticed the tint in the photos you attached.
I can see the difference, but in my opinion, the difference is negligible.

However, the rings in the older greener-tint one does bother me but it may not be as noticeable if you're actually using it outside.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
QC issues aside, tints vary by bin, sometimes drastically if not chosen with care. Even more expensive lights have tint variations, although usually less so than an average manufacturer.

Just part of the LED game.