PK Design Lab - PKFL2LE Review

radiopej

Enlightened
BlackMoonLTD has sent me the PK Design Labs PKFL2LE in a passaround. This light is specifically aimed at police officers and its closest competition would be the dual-output Surefire P2X Fury. Since I don't have one of those, the comparative beamshots come from my Fenix TK22 T6 edition, which has a similar maximum brightness. When I say "high", I mean Turbo mode on the TK22 (T6), which lasts for 30 minutes at a time. It's about 30 lumens brighter than the PKFL2LE but functionally the same.

Manufacturer's Specifications
This is actually quite problematic, as there are 2 different sets of specifications - one on the website and one on a sheet with the light sent to me. I don't know which is actually accurate, which is a bit of a problem for a $190 light.

From website
Output: 600-650 (1.4 hours), 40 lumens (21.8 hours)
PBI: 12,100 candela (220 metres)
Emitter: XM-L2
Waterproof: IPX7 - 0.5 metres
Impact: 2 metres
Dimensions: Bezel diameter (1.25 inches), Length (5 inches), Weight (5.7 ounces)
Batteries: 2x CR123, can use li-ion, but 18650 won't fit
Reflector: Aluminium (6061), smooth reflector

From sheet included with light
Output: 650+(1.5 hours), 20 lumens (46 hours)
Emitter: XM-L
Waterproof: IPX8 - double-gasket sealed
Dimensions: Bezel diameter (1.25 inches), Length (5 inches), Weight (5.7 ounces)
Batteries: 2x CR123

Physical

Okay, so the first thing anybody notices is the insanely aggressive knurling on the body. In actual use, it is much less pronounced and provides a very good grip. However, you can definitely feel it. Some of the edges of the knurling are a little bit too sharp and dig into your hand a little painfully. It's sized perfectly for my hand, with my pinky finger resting in a little groove on the head. This light definitely looks cool, but also looks like something they'd take away from me at the airport. Especially if I turn up without shaving.

I really like this picture.

1418282548256Copy.jpg

The threads are very, very smooth - like Surefire. The bezel, head, body and tail all disassemble and the crenellated bezel has a very distinctive look to it. The main body takes 2x CR123 without rattle, but 18650s won't fit. Thinner (16650) li-ions will fit according to other users, but you'll lose around 1 Ah of battery life.

It says Type-3 hard anodised. I don't know much about the different types, so I'll just say it's a shiny black like my Surefire 6P rather than the matt black my Fenix and Olight lights have.

The tailcap has an interesting switch inside, unlike others I have seen before. I'm not sure what the effect is, as I'd rather not disassemble it (if anything goes wrong, I'll have to pay for it). Still, the forward clicky action feels nice and it seems to work fine, so good job to Mr Kim.

20141212_225941Copy.jpg

Lettering is mostly clear, though there seems to be a problem where it says "PKFL2 LE" - the P and the vertical line of the K are missing. As it's a limited series light (1000 units) and costs $190, it's something I'd hope would be checked. The tailcap has "In God We Trust" on it. Not being religious or American, I find it kind of odd. I can't find where this light was made, but I'd assume if it were made in the US it would proudly say so.

It feels very reliable, but admittedly I won't really put it through its paces. The double-gasket makes me think it would indeed be IPX8 rated, but I don't like that it's not certified for 2 metres without ambiguity. I'll probably say this a few times in the review, but for $190 I want a lack of ambiguity. I ran it on high for 20 minutes. It got warm from 7 minutes and then very warm at 10, but not uncomfortable to hold at all. It didn't warm up much more for the rest of the run, so that seems reliable :).

It's a bit smaller and thinner than other 6P lights (though mine also have bigger tailcaps). This is partially because it can't take bigger batteries.

SizeComparisons.jpg

UI
The UI is pretty good because it's simple. First click gives you high, second click gives you low. There's a 5 second reset time (20 based on the site, 8 from other users but in practice it was 5) for switching modes. Some say this is too long, but since it's only got 2 modes I didn't find it to be a problem - you just tap it again. You can activate the light momentarily by half-pressing it and then click to activate. Simple and reliable. It's the first 2-mode light I've used and I really like this type. I usually like more modes for more options, but this is designed for police rather than camping or hobbyists. For this reason, the UI is perfectly suited to the task.
The high mode runs a current of 1.26 amps, whereas the low runs a current of 50 milliamps. Once the batteries were nearly dead, high and low looked very similar.

Beam

I really like the beam from this light. The 2 modes are spaced very well, with the high lighting up my backyard quite well. It's quite comparable to the Fenix TK22 (T6), though the white is a cooler white.

Here it is on high.

ControlHighHigh.gif

Here it is on low

ControlLowLow.gif

However, it doesn't feel harsh at all with only the faintest (almost imperceptible unless you're really looking for it) tinge of purple at the edges. The low is pretty good for navigation while saving battery life, but may be just a touch too high for checking documents unless you hold it away from them. I checked my license and a few items - there was just enough reflective glare from white cards to hurt my eyes a little in the dark unless I held it over a foot away. I'm not sure if it's 40 lumens or 20 lumens - if 40, 20 would be better. If 20, 10 would be better. Still, it's quite serviceable for looking at documents.

The hotspot is in between throw and flood. It's quite similar to my TK22 (T6), but I felt like I could see more outside of this hotspot, so I guess there's more spill. With the TK22 (T6), I always felt that the hotspot gave me tunnel vision when pointed at the ground. Not with the PKFL2LE.

Wallshots.gif

The colours rendition isn't as vivid as the TK22 (T6). This is pretty much the same with any cool white light in comparison to a neutral white, but it still looks quite nice in real life.

PlantShot.gif

And here it is on the ground - hopefully this gives some idea of the hotspot and the spill.

20141212_232658Copy.jpg

Overall Impression

Firstly, I really liked this light. It felt reliable while holding it and had a great beam. My main issue is the price - it seems designed to beat the Surefire P2X Fury, but costs more and has less certainty.
I personally think even Surefire costs a bit too much for what they do (yes, I know the reliability and service are built into the price). For single-18650 type lights, I'd like them at around $100. More than this and it merits looking to Vinh for a modded light. I get that it's only got a run of 1,000 units, so that may change how I should perceive the cost but I'm looking at it as a workhorse flashlight. It's obviously not designed to be a collector's piece but for proper use and abuse. It can sustain its high mode for quite a while without overheating. Every inch of this light screams police use rather than camping, and that's a good thing here.

At this price point I'd want 18650 compatibility, an included clip and absolute certainty on what the light can manage - because these are things that every light like this should come with. Outside of these and the slight sharpness of the knurling, it is an absolutely great light with a brilliant interface. PK Design Labs have built a great, user-targeted light for law enforcement officers. If you can afford it and are okay with those slight issues, then I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'll be sad when I have to return it.

radiopej

Enlightened
Figures, I checked if there were any reviews using my Tapatalk app and it didn't find any, so I made one. Then I went to find the original passaround forum in the marketplace to post it and I stumble across a review from a few months ago.

Moderators, should I just delete this, move it to add it on top of somebody else's review or just leave it here?

Cheers.