Eagletac warranty is in Hong Kong - warning

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
So I bought a D25LC2 last August. It's been a year and 4 months and it's randomly stopped working - went through all the usual troubleshooting with Eagletac support via email. It's obviously not the batteries, or the tail cap or anything else I can repair or fix myself.

They want me to send the light back to Hong Kong to get it looked it. I live in Canada, this going to cost about 1/2 of what I paid for the light itself.

NOWHERE is this mentioned on the Eagletac website.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/contact/features/about.html <- this would lead you to believe that

10 year warranty practically means nothing to anyone buying their lights in North America.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I bought a D25LC2 last August. It's been a year and 4 months and it's randomly stopped working - went through all the usual troubleshooting with Eagletac support via email. It's obviously not the batteries, or the tail cap or anything else I can repair or fix myself.

They want me to send the light back to Hong Kong to get it looked it. I live in Canada, this going to cost about 1/2 of what I paid for the light itself.

NOWHERE is this mentioned on the Eagletac website.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/contact/features/about.html <- this would lead you to believe that

10 year warranty practically means nothing to anyone buying their lights in North America.

You have nothing to whine about as they are not refusing to look at your light but your whine is the fact they want it sending to the factory instead of an office that probably has no workshop facilities.In the UK this would be different as the contract is made between the seller and buyer so in my case the seller would need to organise the repair or bin it and replace the item.Shops here in the UK try it on by telling people they need to contact the maker which is total nonsense,recently I had cause to put some little jobsworth in there place by refusing to get repaired my daughters child buggy by pulling the you have to send it back milarky.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the warranty means nothing. Shipping to anywhere is too expensive. And then i have to pack it, and send it... boring.. dont want to spend my time on stuff like that. And what company got spare parts to fix lets say a 9,5 year old light?? You would almost have to go to a museum to find the parts. There are lots of companies that change designs every year more or less.
I have used warranty on a light only once, and that light did not have any warranty at all. The lense cracked on a "blemished" hound dog. Gene sendt me a new one.

If a light fails, i will try to fix it. Thats one of the fun parts with the "hobby". Holding a light in my hand/using it is not the fun part. Opening them and see how well/bad they are build and modding is more exiting. I dont own many light that still got warranty, but they all got a nice tint :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as already typed: noone there questions Your request for warranty, so that "warning" is based on nothing
it was Your "fault" to order somewhereever.

PS: amazon shows that light with a cost of € 65,--, what kind of transport do You calculate for "cost about 1/2 of what you paid"?
get the cheapest shipment an hope for the best

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP - you can't really complain. They are honoring their warranty. But you gotta be kidding me that it costs $30 to send a package to HongKong. It would cost $8 in the US first class to Hong Kong.

I suppose this is one benefit of the incandescent days well before CPF existed - all flashlights were dim and boring so whether it was 1 or 10 or 20 years old it was the same brightness. Now I don't think I'd even want to play with a 10 year old light unless I was able to upgrade it to a more current LED.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like good warranties and customer service, and always tip my purchases toward companies that provide them, but for most part you have to assume that Asian-manufactured lights will be warranted out of Asia. The big exception is FourSevens, who in my experience, has been as better than some of the high quality US manufacturers. I don't own any Armyteks (a Canadian Co.) but I thought I read here that they also require you send a defective light back to Asia for repair - someone please correct my if I'm wrong.

I have ET lights and like them, and am especially impressed with their integrity and honesty on spec sheets, but I find their warranty rather distasteful - it's really only ONE year due the "electronics" clause, although I'm sure they dish out goodwill..... at their discretion.

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
I live in canada. Our postal rates are not as cheap as in the us.

Thanks for the flames though

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an option, and if they carry it, you could try purchasing through Amazon. I bought a light through a merchant seller and it was scratched in several places. From the shipping wrapper, the factory box was partially open, and the manual seemed to be folded - like the inner plastic was already pulled out and pushed back in. So I hit return for refund, and instead of the usual return screen, I get you have to contact the seller, so I hit email and type in my request. Amazon replies, and says they will forward my email to the seller. Seller replies in a couple hours and gives me the return address and RMA number. This is after they say that they just got these in from China. I send another email asking why I have to pay for return shipping on a defective item. Amazon replies that these sellers do not pay return postage, and if I let Amazon know what the shipping cost was (to CONUS) they will reimburse me.

I like Amazon.

_

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an option, and if they carry it, you could try purchasing through Amazon. I bought a light through a merchant seller and it was scratched in several places. From the shipping wrapper, the factory box was partially open, and the manual seemed to be folded - like the inner plastic was already pulled out and pushed back in. So I hit return for refund, and instead of the usual return screen, I get you have to contact the seller, so I hit email and type in my request. Amazon replies, and says they will forward my email to the seller. Seller replies in a couple hours and gives me the return address and RMA number. This is after they say that they just got these in from China. I send another email asking why I have to pay for return shipping on a defective item. Amazon replies that these sellers do not pay return postage, and if I let Amazon know what the shipping cost was (to CONUS) they will reimburse me.

I like Amazon.

_

I prefer to shop with the vendors who support our hobby and offer us CPF members a discount.I buy regularly off a UK vendor and get a nice little discount with generally my stuff hitting the doormat either next day or the following.I have no worries about shoddy used goods been sent back out,no worries about cloned/faked lights,no worries about dodgy batteries and a proper warranty.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Here in the US Mountain Electronics offers outstanding support for the items that they sell and offer lots of items for light builders and modifiers in addition to batteries, modified lights chargers etc. As far as Chinese made lights go virtually all the makers seem to require return to the factory for warranty service, a PITA in my opinion.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live in the USA and we are talking warranty support for "major" brand China lights, theres really only 2 proven companies to deal with.

Fenix & 4 Sevens.

All bets are off with other manufactures, this has been proven thread after thread after thread after thread after thread at nauseam......

This is an issue of poor business practice for many of these manufactures, and is often outright misleading.

Im sure I'll catch some flack, or maybe have missed a good manufacturer, but you know what?

Kettle Black.

Im with the OP on this one.

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

Newly Enlightened
Lights that have to be repaired and shipping costs particularly international make all of these lights a consumable for the most part. Even on my customs built here it is not really worth the cost of repair for most of them. Especially since in the case of a older light there is a better one being built now so I will just replace it. Will say that on my OMG and Elektrolumens lights I will send most of those back except some of the ones that are 10 years old or older.