mn21 <-> mn20 any difference ?

sindrulf

Newly Enlightened
SureFire M6:
there are two lamps, mn20 and mn21 (lola and hola ?).
the one are twice as lumenetic as the other on the paper.
but i cant really tell any big difference.
is it something wrong with my magnum ?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, there's nothing wrong. HOLA just puts out the same amount of light in a bigger area, so in the end, you perceive the same brightness, but spread over a bigger area.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
MN20 is the LOLA, MN21 the HOLA. When shining them on a white wall, the difference might be less drastic since those are too bright for the eyes anyway. Try the test outside and you'll notice that the HOLA puts out a more massive wall og light with a slightly more oval beam. If you do not see any difference then, there might be something wrong.

WELCOME to CPF, rist member of 2004 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

Skyline

Enlightened
That's funny. I think my MN21 is more circular than my MN20. Hmm!!

But yeah, shine them outside. You'll see the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh ... well ... in my huge sample of 1 MN20 and 2 MN21 the HOLAs have a slightly oval beam, but if I look closer, maybe I am hallucinating and both of them are rather round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, in no way as oval as the HOLA of the M3.
anyway, great light and perfect beam.
bernhard

mhadaway

Newly Enlightened
Just got my M6 today i convinced my employer to pay for it so its a double great day, I an get M6 and its Free! I noticed a bigger brighter beam with the hola outside. Inside it looked the same as the lola. just my thoughts

Size15's

Flashaholic
As I have two M6's - one usually has the MN20 and the other has the MN21. There is an obvious difference between the two beams. I have several of each lamp and it is an obvious difference not matter which one I pick.

There are two things I would like to point out;

1) Use fresh SF123As - the M6 and other high powered SureFires are best with new batteries. Duracell or SureFire batteries (both USA made) are best able to give you high quality safe light output.

2) Use the M6 outside when comparing beams. 1-3 metre white wall tests aren't the best way of experience the high output flashlights.

If you still can't tell the difference then I suggest you test the beam on some body else - perhaps they can. After all, the power of light is not only for your eyes by the eyes of the targets! If you do not intend to use the M6 against targets then use the MN20 which will give you longer battery life compared to the MN21.

Al

sindrulf

Newly Enlightened
wow,
thanks for the fast replys everyone !
i have had the M6 for a long time,
and used it outside with both of the lamps.
..i have to check one more time though.

and where can i get the tool to take of the lens ?

sindrulf

Newly Enlightened
the black ring with 6 slots, i thougt it was threaded?
i just wanna explore whats inside.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The plastic retaining ring screws into the bezel to retain the lens against an o-ring. The retaining ring is glued in place.

Al