Zebralight 123 flashlight?

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been around the forum for awhile, but I'm back in the market for a new EDC. Why did Zebra stop making a 123 form factor flashlight? It seems like a gaping hole in the lineup to me!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's one on deck. The SC32 is supposed to be coming although it's a Zebralight time line so you know how that is.

WillieD

Newly Enlightened
They currently have the H32 also. I'm looking at that one myself, but am on the fence whether to go with a 123 or AA light. Like the looks of the floody version as an all arounder.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. Output is similar on max though the h51 does have the advantage on Li Ion.

The h32 on a primary is a dream though. The most lumen-minutes you can get from any combination I would imagine... and it's sooooo light.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure why a CR123 light is needed. Do you really need something stubbier than the SC52? If you want higher output, run the SC52 with a 14500 cell. If you like spending money on batteries, then a CR123 light makes sense. Otherwise, I'd go for either a SC52 or a SC62.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I don't like spending money on batteries, that's why I want to use the RCRs I already have. Second of all, why do you feel the need to crap on my preferences just because they don't line up exactly with yours? Every other major light company has a single 123 light, so I know I'm not the only one who likes them, not by a long shot.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, I don't like spending money on batteries, that's why I want to use the RCRs I already have. Second of all, why do you feel the need to crap on my preferences just because they don't line up exactly with yours? Every other major light company has a single 123 light, so I know I'm not the only one who likes them, not by a long shot.

You asked a question, I gave you an opinion. Don't like free speech, even when you ask for it?

CR123 primaries make a lot of sense when batteries are free, such as for the police. RCR123 are a poor alternative, due to lousy capacity. Zebralight already has a great small light, the SC62. I don't see the need for them to produce a CR123 light, but they may do so. I predict it will not be a big seller. I suppose they'll sell at least one.

WillieD

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure why a CR123 light is needed. Do you really need something stubbier than the SC52? If you want higher output, run the SC52 with a 14500 cell. If you like spending money on batteries, then a CR123 light makes sense. Otherwise, I'd go for either a SC52 or a SC62.

Some of us are already invested in the cr123 cell and have other lights that run them and have bulk primaries. That seems like a good argument go me and a situation that I am in. Having said that, I am still contemplating whether to go with the AA version of a Zebralight. Geobruin is right though. The numbers for these lights look awesome, if you run primaries. If I am not mistaken, running a 14500 will only get you better performance for the 1st minute, but better than running a crc123. Personally, if I was going to run a rechargeable cell, I would probably opt for the AA version. Hey, I'm just a new guy with questions of my own though. Nobody has to listen to me:shrug:

markr6

Flashaholic

Personally I feel the same way, but I guess it's nice to have options. Should help them catch a little more of the market share for 123 users. But man, with those runtimes the primaries would have to be free for me!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having said that, I am still contemplating whether to go with the AA version of a Zebralight. Geobruin is right though. The numbers for these lights look awesome, if you run primaries.

Primary run-times are a bit misleading in real-world practice, though. Very few people are going to replace their primaries after every use, so on average a primary is only going to be 50% full when you use your light. On average, you can cut run-time in half for real-world use.

With rechargeables, I pop in a fresh one every day, so my run-time is always 100% of the stated times.

If I am not mistaken, running a 14500 will only get you better performance for the 1st minute, but better than running a crc123.

There's an automatic step-down in brightness after 1 minute on the SC52, for thermal protection. But you can turn it on again at full brightness. I wouldn't do that consistently, because you could overheat the light, and of course you'd drain the 14500 pretty fast. If you want bright and long run times, then the SC62 (with an 18650 cell) is the way to go.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with the recharge battery argument.
However, I do have a light which isn't bored for 18xxx batteries, and was intended to run primaries, so I do.
I just recently bought a large quantity of CR123 batteries at Battery Junction for 85 cents each. If you buy them online, they are not all that expensive. Free shipping if you buy over $50 worth.

Anyway, the battery discussion is a bit off the main topic of the light, and more about a person's general battery preferences. But I do see the point.

Last edited: