1Watt Luxeon Clones Are Soon To Invade!!!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I don't know if anyone's seen these since my searches here came up empty, but they're 1W luxeon clones called "UFO" LEDs landing soon from Korea. They're supposed to be close or just as bright as Luxeons and are also spec'd at 3.4-3.7V and 350mah max. Anyways, HERE look for yourselves.

Very interesting. I wonder how close, if at all, will they give competition to Luxeons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Something tells me that after people read this, I won't be the only who wants to get their curious hands on a few.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look a lot like the ISP LEDs Craig has reviewed on his site. Look here .
So now there are 2 companies with competing products (not counting Lumileds themselves) that i know of... Nichia and now these guys. Are there any others due for release? Does Cree have one ready for release yet?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Those look interesting. According to Craig's test results (13,570mcd with a 60° beam), the lumen output is roughly 12 lumens. Not quite on par with the Luxeon (current 1W Luxeons seem to be mostly Q bin (30.9 to 39.8 lm), but then maybe they've improved since the test. Still, competition can only drive down prices, so the more the merrier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OddOne

Enlightened
I like the heatsink design of the "UFO" 1-watters. It'd sure make life easier to have a round package instead of hexagonal.

The light output tells me these are made by newcomers to the white LED scene. Over time, as they refine their methods and design the output will come up, like Nichia's 5mm LEDs, Lumileds' Luxeons, et al.

oO

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think it's nice to have a choice. I have projects planned that call an under-driven Luxeon (As a full-power Luxeon would be too bright) but these would probably be perfect for half the price! By the time I get around to doing said projects Lumileds will probably have 20w Luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ufokillerz

Enlightened
wow, looks like a decent competitor, now if only they released spec sheets, they only claim close to or equal to a luxeon, not brighter then. yet another ufo product =p, first i get a computer case named after me(really) =p and now we have leds =D

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
That "Baby UFO with threaded stud" looks like an invitation to some of us who have never yet dared try to build from sctatch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
My automated ebay luxeon search turned up some "korean luxeon clone" auctions just the other day. Sorry, no link at hand, but a manual ebay search on luxeon or lumiled and korea ought to bring them up.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have another picture of these that Mark Hannah sent me last week, after I asked him about them. Can anyone post it for me?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the mean time, this is the info he gave me:

...As for the Asian Highpowered leds,
Its a round package that some people call a UFO
(because it looks like a flying saucer)
Its brighter than a 5mm led, not as bright as a Luxeon Star, takes about 175 ma, and of course its less money than a Luxeon.

Leds are basically now being sold on a lumens per dollar or milliwatt light output per dollar
The more you spend, the bigger and brighter and more current it consumes....