am I weird?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Its raining heavily and 9pm in the evening and im sporting black water proof over trousers and a black light weight water proof jacket wandering around my local park with my latest torch. (Not going anyway interesting anytime soon hence the park was second best) Look dressed suitably to rob the next poor git that walks by. Never felt so self concious that somebody will assume the worst and call the police to check me out.

feels like I should have a sign around my neck lit up that says "its ok im just a flashaholic"

Please somebody reassure me that im not the only one sad enough to do this.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Its raining heavily and 9pm in the evening and im sporting black water proof over trousers and a black light weight water proof jacket wandering around my local park with my latest torch. (Not going anyway interesting anytime soon hence the park was second best) Look dressed suitably to rob the next poor git that walks by. Never felt so self concious that somebody will assume the worst and call the police to check me out.

feels like I should have a sign around my neck lit up that says "its ok im just a flashaholic"

LOL... you must be a LOT younger than me!

Once or twice, I turned the lights off in the house, or at least to the front lawn, and shined my light to see the beam in the rain. But I opened the front door... shined the light, looked, and then closed the door. Even my son's dog won't go for a walk in the rain, UNLESS he REALLY HAS TO GO! :)

Dressed all in black, in a rain storm, at night!.. Nope, not me. My three season jacket (gortex lined) has 3M reflective tape sewed in some conspicuous places, and my rain gear, is high vis yellow with more 3M tape sewn in.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
Un-required use of a toarch, flashlight or lamp is normal around here. Sometimes when my son is cranky, i have an old (15yr) minimag I let him play with in the dark. it makes him happy and I enjoy the show. Glow sticks work too but are not rechargeable.
After the wife goes to bed I turn off all the lights an navigate by flashlight or headlamp. it disturbs the sleepers less if at all.
I do dog mine hunting at night with the headlamp. I could wait and do it in the day but I have more time after dark. And I get to use my lights!
Summer is better because it gets darker. :D

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
What if the "weird" people we see at night are actually all flashaholics? And what if we look weird to the Walmart people?

pump it

Newly Enlightened
Yes you're, but there's nothing to worry about: the police may be a flashaholic too

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if the "weird" people we see at night are actually all flashaholics? And what if we look weird to the Walmart people?

Well, the "People of CPF" site that we're on right now seems pretty normal to me. :)

I am as guilty as the next user here of turning out the house lights and walking around with a new toy. It probably accounts for 85% of my flashlight use.

I feel rain and mist are best for displaying lights to non-flashaholics. Even a lackluster light looks more impressive that way.

People who reside on the cutting-edge of technolagy are always considered weird by some. I advise you to not give them too much thought and enjoy your lights. Life is short.

~ Chance

Addendum, As far as a sign, I reccomend one that reads, Don't be a-scared, I'm just playing with my flashlight.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Yep, definitely weird, welcome to the club :D

Cool! Im moving to the USA. Theres more of us there I reckon.

There's a lot of UK members not on this map (myself included...)

I recon we give the USA a run for money on flashaholics per sq Km... :candle:

Edit: Went and finally added myself to that map.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rest assured you are very sad and I would most certainly be ringing the busy,s to have you checked out as as you know the UK is full of not very nice guys at present.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Rest assured you are very sad and I would most certainly be ringing the busy,s to have you checked out as as you know the UK is full of not very nice guys at present.

Are you talking about yourself again, mcnair? :poke: :nana:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live close to where Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein. Although she wrote that book during an unusually dreary summer, we get lots of fog in the winter. I'm talking about dense, oppressive fog that gets into your bones and head. Great flashlight weather. On foggy nights, I grab lights, a glass of single malt and the dog. I sit outside and shine lights at the sky and the vineyard next to my house. Sometimes I take pictures of the beams. I confess: I'm weird.

torchsarecool

Enlightened

Actually it is concerning that nobody has ever bothered to call the police. Think I need to make a complaint. Strange characters running round the park late at night and doesnt get checked out, thats not very comforting and its right near my house!