Wide angle flashlight solution for indoor and short range outdoor use?

CjB

Newly Enlightened
I work as security guard sometimes patrolling building before i close it down, currently i use Olight SR50 and it does not do what i need in fact it does the opposite kind of, hotspot is so bright i cannot see anything inside of hotspot in close range 30-50 feet away and it takes a lot of attention when i move my hand.

I tried SR50 with stock diffuser and it does the job sort of, but light that comes out is not strong enough, maybe i just need different diffuser?

New flashlight i am looking to get.
  • wide angle ideally 180 degree from base of light
  • weak or ideally no hotspot at all to have even brightness transition of from edges to center
  • max range i need is about 500 feet, don't get me wrong i still need it to be bright
  • smaller the better, but its not main criteria

dss_777

Enlightened
Seriously consider one of the Surefire Fury models- the PX3 throws a nice even beam quite a ways, for example.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like you need flood light, check out fenix tk75.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight makes a diffuser for your SR50 for around $20. I'd give that a shot - it will probably be exactly what you want.

edited: that's what I get for skimming your post. Try a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61. It should give you plenty of good spill/flood, with enough hot spot to reach out there when you need it.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Wild Cat with MTG2 and MD4 body. Pure flood, good runtime and all the things that come with Malkoff (great customer service, outstanding warranty, robustness and reliability).

Poppy

Flashaholic
I work as security guard sometimes patrolling building before i close it down, currently i use Olight SR50 and it does not do what i need in fact it does the opposite kind of, hotspot is so bright i cannot see anything inside of hotspot in close range 30-50 feet away and it takes a lot of attention when i move my hand.

I tried SR50 with stock diffuser and it does the job sort of, but light that comes out is not strong enough, maybe i just need different diffuser?

New flashlight i am looking to get.
  • wide angle ideally 180 degree from base of light
  • weak or ideally no hotspot at all to have even brightness transition of from edges to center
  • max range i need is about 500 feet, don't get me wrong i still need it to be bright
  • smaller the better, but its not main criteria

There is NO WAY a 180 degree mule is going to reach 500 feet!

Seems to me that a zoomie may be the way to meet your stated requirements, but even they won't give you 180 degrees.

So I started thinking... that you'll really need to carry two lights. THEN!!! :thinking: Perhaps Two lights in ONE :twothumbs

When I first saw this light, I thought that it was ugly, and a gimmick, but when ven suggested it for someone, I took another look. Seems to me that the Fenix TK51 may be what you are looking for. Check out this review

ven

Flashaholic
500ft is certainly a tall order but worth checking the olight mini out,great little flood light imo.

ven

Flashaholic
Good suggestion poppy as best of both worlds (well within reason) Lots of flood /throw combinations or just the one:)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I missed the 500 feet requirement. I agree, nothing that floody will reach 500 feet. You need 4 lights. 1 flood, 1 throw, 1 backup flood and 1 backup throw.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
I recently built a Convoy S3, and instead of the reflector I built an aluminium heatsink which allows me to place an XM-L2 0.5mm behind the lens. The flood is even and awesome, works gread indoors.