Reccomend replacement battery for desktop mainboard?

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Recommend replacement battery for desktop mainboard?

Hello there,

I recently purchsed a second hand desktop computer and the main board battery has failed. The failed battery is a KTS Lithium Battery/Japan STD/CR2032.

I read a little about some real basic differences between Lithium-ion and Lithium batteries before I came here.

1. Could you reccomend a good solid replacement battery or the best preferred type you would install between Lithium and Lithium-ion?

2. Could you please take a look at this link below as I found 'Duracell Speciality Size 2032 - 2 Pack for for 2.39 at Target.com

http://www.target.com/p/duracell-sp...ck/-/A-14080913#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=2032

Thank you for your help,

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
You can use any CR2032 battery as replacement. The letters CR stands for lithium and 2032 is size (20mm diameter and 3.2mm thick).

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for responding quickly do you have a personal preference of any types?

I think those Duracel' look pretty good for the price too.

Thanks,

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about any known-brand, fresh CR2032 will do. The sole purpose is to power the RTC (real time clock) and store the certain BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) parameters in CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) memory. It's a very low power usage. The cell could last 5 or more years easily -- the battery is really only 'working' when the computer is off.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 8086 days, I used to hack an AAx2 battery carrier to sub the coin cell. The AAs leak before anywhere near discharged.

Next, you were supposed to cut an extra notch on all of your 5.25 single sided floppy disks. :)

Anyway, the 2032 cell is optional if the system is always on. You just have to change BIOS settings on power-on if they are different than default. BIOS is really on the way out, a lot of it is bypassed once the OS loads these days. I really DO NOT MISS the bad old days of "IRQ fighting" jumpers, and dip switches, but then it was replaced with "DLL hell." Plug and pray.

I miss how ISA cards had their own processing power on board and am not a fan of how PCI leeches from main system resources in the name of being cheaper (for the manufacturer, not for you the owner.)

Oh well. Progress, baby. Progress.

Last edited:

panorain

Newly Enlightened
Coming back here to the forums to ask about AA rechargeable batteries yesterday I noticed my old threads. I reviewed them and Thank you for your help with my questions.