help me build my first P60 drop in light

gofastman

Enlightened
I want to build a flashlight for use at work (auto mechanic)
I was thinking probably a sportac triple 219 or if my budget allows, one of vinhnguyen's custom 219 quads.
it need two things above all, durability and heat dissipation for 100% duty cycle on high mode.

I would prefer 18650 or 26650 power source.

No longer than about 8" and no huge reflectors, it needs to fit in my work pants pocket. A touch smaller than a Streamlight Stinger would be ideal.

Has anyone made a host with copper plumbing pipe? I think the "steampunk" or rustic look would be awesome!
If that's not practical, what's a good host to go with that fills the above requirements?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you need the light to run on high for extended times, i wouldnt go with either of those drop-ins, even with a full copper host.

i wouldnt want anything that is pushed more than 1.5 amps. even drop-ins that run at 1.5 amps will get hot in about 20 minutes of continuous use.
vinh can make drop-ins that arent over driven. youll have to ask him about it or check up on his thread.

malkoff is a good option. EDC+ has some interesting dropins as well.

my P60 currently has a XP-E2 pushed at 1 amp. nice throwy beam, good runtimes, plenty bright, and it never gets hot, even if i leave it sitting there for hours.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with skyfire..
U probably need to find out how much light is useful for you.
For most cases, 200 to 300 lumens are more than sufficient, though it may vary..

A Sportac triple or Vinh's Quad at 100% will get very hot in no time & u won't get decent run time.

gofastman

Enlightened
Agree with skyfire..
U probably need to find out how much light is useful for you.
For most cases, 200 to 300 lumens are more than sufficient, though it may vary..

A Sportac triple or Vinh's Quad at 100% will get very hot in no time & u won't get decent run time.

400 OTF lumens would be perfect.
I'm basing that on the fact that my 2014 TN12 on medium is just a TINY bit low for my needs and that is around 320 IIRC.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might consider the Solarforce idea that was mentioned above. you can buy a ready-to-go body for $20

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=6&id=433
This one is non-metallic, which might be ideal for working around live electronics.

You then get a nice 18650 and charger, and a low-output (less than 500 lumens) dropin from Vinh54, Nailbender or others. Blammo! you've then got a great tool

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
400 OTF lumens would be perfect.
I'm basing that on the fact that my 2014 TN12 on medium is just a TINY bit low for my needs and that is around 320 IIRC.

all the lights in my stable, i trust to to leave on for long periods of time unattended. none are extremely bright or overdriven. i compensate this with a more focused narrower beam pattern, which makes it seem brighter than it really is. fortunate for me, i like narrow throwy beams. this, along with lower drive currents equals better runtimes, and thermal management.