Short Christmas Story 2014

LedTed

Enlightened
My immediate family celebrated X-mas last night. One of the childrens' presents used pea sized balls. One of those tiny balls got temporarily lost. It needed to be recovered before the family dog ate it. I'm writing this to express my pride that the two boys who immediately got flashlights and started searching for the lost ball. One of the young guys was clever enough to remember that he just got a pen with laser and LED lights. Just a few seconds after trying to search with this pen he realized it was not quite useful for this task and commanded, "Light uncle Ted.", and started searching with my D10 / D11 V2 combo. Meanwhile, his even younger brother figured out the UI on his new gift, a JetBeam Jet-1 Pro V3, and started searching on his own. I grabbed my backup, Tain Ottavino, and joined the search. Even with a million places to hide, the ball did not elude us for long.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic, but why do people choose to say "X-Mas" over Christmas?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My immediate family celebrated X-mas last night. One of the childrens' presents used pea sized balls. One of those tiny balls got temporarily lost. It needed to be recovered before the family dog ate it. I'm writing this to express my pride that the two boys who immediately got flashlights and started searching for the lost ball. One of the young guys was clever enough to remember that he just got a pen with laser and LED lights. Just a few seconds after trying to search with this pen he realized it was not quite useful for this task and commanded, "Light uncle Ted.", and started searching with my D10 / D11 V2 combo. Meanwhile, his even younger brother figured out the UI on his new gift, a JetBeam Jet-1 Pro V3, and started searching on his own. I grabbed my backup, Tain Ottavino, and joined the search. Even with a million places to hide, the ball did not elude us for long.

Awesome story.

Empath

Flashaholic
Slightly off-topic, but why do people choose to say "X-Mas" over Christmas?

a Wikipedia quote said:
Xmas is a common abbreviation of the word Christmas. It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but Xmas, and variants such as Xtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for Mass,[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός which comes into English as "Christ".[2]

There is a common belief that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use dates back to the 16th century.

The above information is easily found, but the above quote from Wikipedia explains it fairly well.