Malkoff MDC Tac Question

AmicusCuriae

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

For Christmas this year My wife got me a Malkoff MDC Tac which will hopefully be replacing my old HDS EDC 170 Tac as my duty light. I've been testing it out today and have gotten some strange results and am trying to determine if there is some issue with the light. The Malkoff doesn't come with a manual and I am not 100% sure how its UI is supposed to work based on the website so I was hoping for a little help from those of you familiar with the Malkoff EDC lights. When I turn on the light with a click, it goes on to high, but if I double click from the on position, it doesn't change modes - it just stays in high. The only way I can change modes is by cycling through each mode with a momentary press. Is this normal? Also, how long does the light need to be off before it defaults back to high when it is turned back on? I have to leave mine off a good 10 second otherwise it will turn on to the next mode in the sequence.

Any help you all could give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AC

xr4fun

Newly Enlightened
Your light is operating correctly. Mine does the same. It works differently than most lights I've seen. Basically it doesn't matter how long the light is turned off, but it matters how long it is turned on. If it is turned on for more than 7/10 of a second before it is turned off then the next time it is turned on it will come on in high. No matter how long it is turned off. If it is turned on for less than 7/10 of a second before it is turned off then it will come on in the next mode. No matter how long it was off. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it does have some advantages. If you use the light for any length of time and turn it off then it will always turn on in high, but from off if you give it 2 quick half presses then leave it off the next time you turn it on it will be in low. I'm not sure why he designed it this way, but it might be so that there is no drain on the battery when turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just half-press cycle to the mode you want and click to lock in. Off and repeat to change modes. In addition to what xr4fun said, if you can momentary fast enough (< 15/100 sec.) then you can fire off multiple flashes on the same mode - eg, a manual strobe, and "S"s in Morse (although "O"s are out ;)).

GoVegan

Enlightened
I was considering purchasing the MDC Tac , but I couldn't not with this UI.

This type of UI for a tactical light seems like a big fail to me. If a tactical light has multiple modes then it should come on in high every time, if the tailcap was accidentally momentarily pressed in your pocket (say when reaching in) during the day, then come night and you turn it on expecting it come on in high then depending on the situation it could be very bad (for example if you were a cop or even an armed citizen using the light to identify a potential threat). Not exactly a light you could depend on.
I think the MDC Tac needs to have a mode switch like the Streamlight Protacs (from off fast double-tap within 0.4 to select modes otherwise every press/click will come on in high). But even then I'd also prefer it to be high/low only, as 3 modes is just one too many.
So in its current form despite its name I think it is not so useful for the tactical market. Damn shame really.

Luckily I researched this beforehand and then ended up purchasing the MDC SHO model back in March, and apart from a couple of minor niggles I'm very happy with it for its intended purpose.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite the nomenclature, I don't think this light was ever intended for real tactical use. Maybe they should change the name, but I just think that Gene was trying to differentiate between the L/M/H and the H/M/L version. I don't kick in doors or anything, but most people seem to agree that a single mode light is best for a pure tactical role, anyway. Personally, I think the E2 Super with a 16650 body is the best compact tactical light in the line up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That pesky "on" mode change versus "off" mode change.

Clicking to change modes is tricky because it takes longer than half press mode changing. But once you get the hang of it you'll likely do it for all your mode changing lights.

I have a hi/me/lo light that I insticively switch to medium as it is being deployed to light an object. My MDC is 3/9/90 and I go for medium everytime with that one too.
It becomes second nature after getting used to it.