pre-release-candidate testing discussion (renamed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
(note this thread title has been changed. A new thread will be started for the Arc4 testing).

This thread marks the second phase of the Arc4 program.

During the first phase, the Arc4 was referenced by the code, "LS4". The Arc4 represents the 4th major design from Arc and the 3rd major revision of the Luxeon Star series. This month marks the 2 year anniversary of the beginning of the Arc4 development. The Arc4 is our most ambitious project to date.

The Arc4 includes features such as a smoother beam, brighter output, smaller size, improved switch, more durable design, multiple brightness levels and a higher efficiency.

Up until now, we have been secretive about our progress. This thread will bring you up to speed on where we are currently.

--

The Arc4 program began in January of 2002. In 2003, I tapped Henry Schneiker, a renowned flashlight engineer, to complete the mechanical and software engineering. In October of 2003, we completed the first working/self contained prototype. 4 beta testers were selected and they completed their testing in November. Combined with our own testing, many pages of test data were collected. Work then began on making revisions, testing and revising again. This was a particularly stressful time. We drove our contractors and production people crazy with the perpetual revisions. The switch system for example, was revised over a half dozen times. The software was updated and tweaked countless times. Now, 2 months later, we have a production candidate design. 5 production candidates are being completed this weekend and sent out for testing.

This is a greatly summarized timeline. We actually have been through quite a bit of joy and frustration to get to this point. But I condensed it down in the interest of briefness.

The testers were selected several months back from the CPF. We looked for testers that were in good standing with the CPF community and know their flashlights. There were quite a few eligible CPF'ers. However, I had to pick just 4. They are:

Cris Mamaril ("CM")
Darell ****ey ("Darell")
John Bjelajac ("Carpe Diem")
Raymond DeVoe ("This_is_Nascar")

And the primary testers here at Arc:

Peter Gransee ("Gransee")
Henry Schneiker

--

The purpose of this thread is to bring you into the final testing phase of the Arc4 design. I have invited the testers to freely post here their thoughts, results, etc. You may also want to ask them questions. Please understand that they haven't received the Production Candidates yet. They have only tested the prototype so far. By next week, they should have data on the Production Candidate. But I wanted to introduce you to them before hand. Another thing, they are not acting as a product reviewer. I have asked them to test these units. You may have questions about beam shots, run times, etc. Although I am not preventing them from answering those types of questions, please remember that their emphasis is on testing not product review.

In this thread, we may post pictures of the product, etc. More information will come when the Arc4 is added to the FAQ, the product is sent out for review, owner and QA threads are started here, etc. I am sure you guys will have some questions.

Stay tuned for the test results on the Production Candidate!

Peter

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc4 Testing

Arc is a unique company. Peter keeps his customers involved in the creation of this products. Most seem to like to keep R&D secret, and keep customers in the dark. Peter chooses the light.

Arc4. Hmm. I wonder if this will be the product name used in marketing?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

You are to be congratulated on this unusual and open way of presenting the Arc4 to the public. It demonstrates your confidence in the value of the light.

If only some of the other manufacturers would take your lead . . .

Paul

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

The down side is that it can depress sales for current models while people wait for the newest versions.

I, for one, hope the LSH continues to be offfered. Of course I will still need the Arc4, but that goes without saying.

Daniel

jtice

Flashaholic

Yep, this is what Arc is all about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

All the CPF members dont think Arc is the best for no reason, this is just one of the many reasons Arc is at the very top.

Arc knows what we want, cuz they ASKQ And take an active part on CPF.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication Peter. (and the rest of the Arc family)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also commend Peter for being open with this information and keeping this community involved as much as possible. Arc4....catchy name.

I will keep a close eye on this thread to see how things progress.

Thanks again to Arc, Peter and his team for developing the products we are all looking for.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I know why This_is_nascar was selling a lot of his lights on B/S/T! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks for the update, Peter... this will be an interesting new year.

mporter

Newly Enlightened

I like Arc4. A much better marketing name. With LS4 being the name, that's what it would be called in every CPF post. This sells the LS, the Luxeon LED.

Instead, Arc4 sells the name Arc. And Arc stands for the best EDC flashlights in the world along with a great warranty and world class customer service.

Here's a suggestion.

Arc4 Multi-Light (or Arc4 Multi-Lite.) This also gets the most important feature in the name.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is exactly what i was telling my girlfriend about. She was wondering why i LOVE this forum, this community, and Peter's company so much!

I was telling her that the $150-200 i spend on his lights aren't just for the simple function of a flashlight. I buy it for the engineering, the passion, the history, and the character of the flashlight. I know that behind an Arc stands Peter, his wife, his staff, and THIS entire community. When i look at an Arc LS, AAA, or when i look at the new Arc4, i will see Peter, the testers, and the community.

I told my girlfriend that Peter started his company here on the CPF. I feel like a part of history here and i feel like i'm part of a family on the CPF.

Keep up the great work Peter. I feel like your company is breaking ground each time you release a flashlight. Before your company, i have never seen a Luxeon based flashlight, a keychain LED flashlight (built like a tank), and now a UC controlled tactical LED flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I LOVE how you bring this community into your design, testing, and marketing processes. It makes me, as an owner, appreciate your work even more.

Thank you.

Turt

Enlightened

OK I'll bite... Beam shots please??? Compared to Arc LSHP? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
This is exactly what i was telling my girlfriend about. She was wondering why i LOVE this forum, this community, and Peter's company so much!

I was telling her that the $150-200 i spend on his lights aren't just for the simple function of a flashlight. I buy it for the engineering, the passion, the history, and the character of the flashlight. I know that behind an Arc stands Peter, his wife, his staff, and THIS entire community. When i look at an Arc LS, AAA, or when i look at the new Arc4, i will see Peter, the testers, and the community.

I told my girlfriend that Peter started his company here on the CPF. I feel like a part of history here and i feel like i'm part of a family on the CPF.

Keep up the great work Peter. I feel like your company is breaking ground each time you release a flashlight. Before your company, i have never seen a Luxeon based flashlight, a keychain LED flashlight (built like a tank), and now a UC controlled tactical LED flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I LOVE how you bring this community into your design, testing, and marketing processes. It makes me, as an owner, appreciate your work even more.

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post, LEDagent...
Great post!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

A message to my fellow CPF`ers...

In his initial post creating this thread, Peter claimed that he picked out four testers for the Arc4 (yours truly included /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) who are in good standing with the CPF and who "know flashlights".

Don`t believe him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

While that is undoubtedly true for the other members of this "Happy Group of Testers", I know that I was hand-picked by Peter for one, AND ONLY ONE, reason:

I, Carpe Diem, not only proudly own, but also proudly wear, on a regular basis, an "Official Arc Field Tester`s Uniform"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dressed in full regalia, I tested my heart out on the Arc LS4 prototype, and I`ll gladly do so again when I receive, in the next day or so, my "Arc4 Production Candidate" flashlight. (That catchy name was coined by Peter himself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif )

Boy...
I can hardly wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This is going to be great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I will share with all of you my findings, and I will try to do so promptly...for I know the anticipation alone is killing you as much as it me!

I must go now. I must return to my vigil on the front boulevard and await the arrival of the Fed-Ex truck... dressed, of course, in my "Official Arc Field Tester`s Uniform", complete with matching cap. And here`s the best part: the women driving by in their cars always honk their horn at me...the uniform being the "Chick Magnet" that it truly is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FEAR NOT, PETER!
I, for one, will not let you down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Hooo-aaahhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hmm, now that you guys are geting the production ones, i wonder how much the preproduction ones would go for on ebay... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

maybe we can do a passaround? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bad roth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

As is my partner in crime Carpe, I'm "at the ready". As Peter mentioned all of us will do what can to answer your questions, however our primary directive is testing the Arc4 (I really do like this name, by the way). We've been tasked with ensuring the Arc4 does what it's supposed to do and works as advertised. I really look forward to this and thank Peter and ARC for the opportunity.

Mattman

Enlightened

I would like to hear a little bit about what life with a prototype is like. Was it good right out of the box? Quirky? Did you guys find things that needed work? Fill us in as much as possible. I'm always curious about behind the scenes happenings in the developement of any product and this one's no different. When the Arc4 finally shows up, it's gonna be like Christmas all over again!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Mattman said:
I would like to hear a little bit about what life with a prototype is like. Was it good right out of the box? Quirky? Did you guys find things that needed work? Fill us in as much as possible. I'm always curious about behind the scenes happenings in the developement of any product and this one's no different. When the Arc4 finally shows up, it's gonna be like Christmas all over again!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll defer to Peter's ruling, however I don't beleive we should talk about the prototype in any level of detail. I say this because anything good or bad, working or not working, ready or not-ready is really not relevent at this point in time. This is my opinion. The other testers can convey theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts