What LED does the Mag XL50 use these days?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a quick glance at the Mag website again and I notice the XL50 is rated at 200 lumens. Up from the previous 139 (I think) with the XP-E. This might not be a recent change but I hadn't noticed it. Anyone know what LED it uses now?

The XL200 is still listed at 200 lumen. Shame the more expensive model hasn't been updated too though.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Just picked up a Gen III and it looks like a Cree XP-E2 to me. Please correct me if you think that's wrong.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics. I think it might be an XP-G2. The yellow bit is a lot larger on the right hand one. I think the XP-E2 has the same size die as the XP-E, but the XP-G2 has a larger die.

How does the Gen 3 perform compared to the old one? Does it throw as well?

Harold_B

Enlightened
After reading your post and double checking the Cree spec sheets I'd say you are correct. XP-G2 is more likely given the output as well. Thanks for the correction.

Performance at a glance looks good to me. I don't have the original reflector from a Gen II handy so I used the new light on both. I also have at hand a "collimator" that Dow Corning uses to demonstrate their moldable optical silicones (found here: http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/11-3371-01_Insert_D.pdf )

Reflector comparison (GII top, GIII bottom):

DCC Collimator comparison (GII top, GIII bottom):

Software for image analysis is MaxIm DL. The photos are saturated because I used my phone. Good enough for the task at hand. The distance is about 10' onto a white textured ceiling. In other words the lab is my lounge chair.

Latest posts