Dispute with Best Buy, options? UPDATE

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday at Best Buy I purchased what I thought was a Plextor PX-708A DVD burner for $220. I paid cash for the drive which was mistake number one. I get home and opened the box and lo and behold instead of my my nice new burner in the package, in it's place was this old Yamaha CD burner that I don't even think is manufactured anymore. The top part of the box was sealed but the box was not shrunk wrap and the bottom part could open up very easy. My best guess as to what happened is that someone bought the drive, went home and swapped out drives by opening from the bottom and then returned it, claiming they never even opened so that the contents would not be inspected. I should note the software and drive cable were still sealed in their original bags. Brought it back to Best Buy today and to make a long story in my conversations with three different people short, they would not exchange it nor give me my money back. In fact the first words out of the mouth of the first guy was "Sir, there is not way, that box left the store with that drive in it." I explained my theory about it being opened from the bottom and the drives then exchanged and they said that wasn't possible because upon return, they put a return sticker on it and there wasn't one when I purchased it or first brought it in (they did then put a return sticker on it). They said if it was previously returned the sticker would still be there as they don't remove them. So I took the box with the incorrect drive back home and contacted Best Buy corporate thru the number the store gave me. The guy I spoke with (after being on hold for 20 min) said I should first try to contact the manufacturuer and see what they would do. I did try to call Plextor but they are on Holiday according to voice mail. I assume they will be back Monday and will call back then. I now being more cynical then I was 24 hours ago, severely doubt they are going to give me a replacement. This is not only a wrong drive but a entirely different manufacturer.

Meanwhile does anybody have any advice or suggestions or how to proceed, who to contact, etc? I have never dealt with an issue like this before. I feel I'm probably going to end up being a victum of circumstances.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Dispute with Best Buy, what are my options?

I'd say don't give up. They may think they can shrug you off but don't let them. Eventually they'll get sick of dealing with you and pacify you.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

since you can't prove 100% that Best Buy fckd up, the only option you have is to be a persistent ****head.

don't harass, but reiterate.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does your local TV/radio station have a consumer advocate?
You could also try writing to one of the PC magazines -- they sometimes step in on a customer's behalf.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened

I would spend the 10 or 15 minutes that it takes to file a police report stating that the store committed FRAUD. Don't let them put you off with the excuse that its a "civil matter". Tell them you want a report filed. Go on the offensive and take the stance that it must have been an intentional switch since they claim that the box could not have been returned by another customer.

I would also write letters (NOT emails) to the Better Business Bureau and your state attorney general.

Both of these steps will take an hour at most out of your day and will send a message that you are serious and not trying to pull a fast one. That is because criminals who do try to cheat stores with fake returns slink away after the first rebuff.

Good luck and don't give up.

Chris

DrJ

Enlightened

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another thought I had was that perhaps a store employee themselves, swapped out the drive. As mentioned, the bottom opens up very easily without disturbing the top seal. That would explain the lack of a return sticker.

springnr

Enlightened

Best Buy's is a store I no longer shop at.

My son got some music CDs last Christmas. I noticed them sitting around unopened a couple of weeks later and when I inquired why, he just didn't care for the bands. No receipt but unopen with Best Buy stickers on them so off we went to Best Buy to exchange them.

After talking to several people, the manager told me to take a hike because the Christmas grace period was over and that I probably stole them anyway.

BestBuySux

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can only comment on the one dealing I had with them, and frankly, it sucked. I ended up calling the home office, and asking what their CS policy was to which I was told, and I quote "We don't have one". So my only advice would be to follow the previous suggestions, and be a complete PIA to them till they do something, or drive you nuts from trying.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened

I just did a quick search of the Mass. AG web site and here is a link for you:

This be a link

I believe that you can claim a violation of section 3.02 (False Advertising) as the item inside the box was not the same as what was advertised on the label.

If you can't tell, stuff like this really annoys me.
I am at the point where I open boxes in the store and in front of sales people. Getting home and finding a problem is bad enough. Getting grief when you go back to the store is just an additional insult.

Don't delay in turning on them with your legal guns a'blazin and please let us know how you make out with this.

Chris

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice so far. I should add the store is in NH (store #535) in Newington although I live in MA. Should I call the NH Attorney General's office?

For now I will wait until Monday to contact Plextor as the Best Buy Home Office suggested and then will follow thru with the suggestions.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Should I call the NH Attorney General's office?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It wouldn't hurt to copy your own AG as well in case other folks in your state have problems with Best Buy down the road.

I personally don't think that you'll have much luck with the manufacturer. That sounds like a pass-the-buck answer to me. I do believe, however, that a visit from the local police or a letter from the AG will shake their tree.

Chris

Tomas

Banned

Aside from doing the things already suggested, consider heading for Small Claims Court if there is not a satisfctory resolution soon ...

Keep gnawing at them.

T_sig6.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Return to the store and escalate to the highest level of Management who is on-site. Be nice at first and explain the situation. Offer to meet them half-way by accepting a store credit as opposed to a cash refund. If this fails, start making a big scene. Be obnoxious, make noise. Before you know it, they will call the police and you won't have to.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it were me, persistance is key. Contact Best buys coorperate office. If you don't get the answer you are looking for, speak to that persons supervisor. Go up the chain as far as you can. Make them understand your willingness to settle this matter and let them know of your intentions to contact others if this matter isn't resolved.

I once was in a similar situation with a company who I didn't think was living up to their end of the bargain. After several phone calls, I finally threatened them with legal action. It's amazing who will call you when they feel threatened. I finally resolved this problem to my satisfaction.

Bottom line, even companies like Best Buy doesn't want bad publicity. Let them know you mean business and will act upon it if needed.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

it sounds a bit
slanderous
to me..

and i'd say yes--go to the NH attorney general.. there's nearly as much Mass-traffic in NH as there is in NH, so you're a part of their community any way you look @ it.. so don't hesitate to work thru their state.

drs2000

Newly Enlightened

To be a bit positive here, with regards to Best Buy, I had been trying to buy a portable DVD player from them that had been advertised, and, of course, they were out of stock. I pried a raincheck out and kept on it. Took longer than expected, and when I finally called 'em they said they had one. I showed up and they'd screwed up and apologized, but no unit. I was rather frosted.

Gave it one more go, tho, as it was a hell of a deal, and tried again. Had a time restraint, too. Finally went down a couple days before my trip and talked to a 'manager'. (I'd noticed on a printout that they'd had folks that
"rainchecked' after me as having units waiting.)
A bit of talking, and they coughed up the unit. The good part, tho, was that tho they'd missed the deadline for the $100 rebate, and it was still a good deal without it, when I mentioned it, they knocked off that $100 right there. That cut my taxes and total price nicely, and I'm sure I got my 'rebate' before people that had to mail and wait.

It took some effort, but they did make good and more, and admitted to thier screwup. So a bit of effort may pay off. Here's hoping.

I've also developed the habit of checking box contents on any openable or 'resealed' goods, and many that look factory sealed b-4 I leave a store at the register, not so much because of the store, but because of those sleazeball scum that swap products or buy them with the intention of using them and returning tham. Such jerks cost the rest of us a lot of time and money, and the stores hassles.

The goons you're dealing with need help on cust relations, but give it a little more effort, as, frankly, they likely didn't do it and get sleazeballs all of the time that do, which has probably soured them. But they might be able to get it together.

I go out of my way to use a credit card for such purchases, as many still give you extended warrantees, and nice leverage when it comes to these little details..

I think you'll be able to iron it out.

Good luck!!

Yours, DeWayne. Been there, did that, have the teethmarks..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my limited experience with things that go wrong, stores do generally make it right as long as you're persistent and polite. Visit them several times of the next week with it. You don't need to threaten them with anything else yet, you just have to work to get what you need. Visit them, talk to the manager, if he's not there or if the guy whos there isn't being helpful ask them when you should come back, or when the next guy is going to be there and can talk to you.

Make it clear that you're the one who has been wronged and will be hanging around until they make it right.

Good Luck

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again thanks for the advice and quick responses. If Plextor doesn't kick in and do something and not satisfied with Best Buy then I will contact the Attorney General's office and go to small courts claim if necessary. Now that my temper has calmed down, at the very least this will be a learning experience from me. Lucky I guess at 40 years old, this is the first time I've really been screwed over by a major retailer.