Olight M2X-UT Javelot Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight M2X-UT Javelot

Purpose built lights have been on the decline lately, with everyone trying to provide one light to meet every need simultaneously, but there's something to be said for those lights that just do one thing, and do it well.

Olight M2X-UT Javelot

Meat and Potatoes

The Olight M2X Javelot is a thrower. That's it. Wrap it up. This review is done. Honestly, I don't know if anything more needs to be said than that. Anyone who's been hanging around the blog for any period of time can glean from that one statement everything that really needs to be known about this torch. I guess for the newcomers I should probably expound upon that a bit, though. Here goes.

Olight M2X-UT Javelot

Olight has once again iterated their M series of lights into another sub-model. The Javelot shares a huge heritage with the Warrior line of lights, many of whom have been guests here over the years. Simple 3 mode output, with mode memory via loosening and re-tightening the head. Olight has included their quick access to the highest output through a simple double click (this is just a little tricky with the forward clicky button, requiring a half press on the first activation), and a full brightness strobe is available with a triple click. This makes for a fairly versatile UI, though as you'll see later, you may simply end up keeping the light in High mode full time.

Build quality as well is classic Olight. Stylistically it is instantly recognizable as a worthy Warrior. It shares the same thick aluminum sidewalls, the same larger rectangular knurling, all the same basic machinework actually. It remains absolutely free of tool marks and has all the expected rounded, chamfered, and beveled edges I've come to expect from this bloodline. This is a pedigree light, and no mistake. It's not something that is well suited to EDC, with its ungainly dimensions, but that isn't Olight's intent.

Size comparison

Olight has chosen to take a slightly off-the-rails approach with the light source in this torch. Instead of taking a standard LED like so many other flashlights on the market, Olight has used a customized de-domed Cree XM-L2 LED. This makes for a smaller apparent diode chip that works in tandem with the giant 2+ inch parabolic reflector to create one of the tightest focused beams I have ever seen in portable illumination. This light is purpose built to light up objects at significant distance. Also, when I speak of High mode, I mean REALLY high. Olight quotes 1020 lumens at the top level. I can attest that this drops a bit as the power source depletes, but if you are running 18650 Li-ion cells, that is a small matter to reconcile. Simply charge extra cells often and swap them out.

Dedomed Cree XM-L2

This concentrated power makes for a higher hotspot than I have ever seen in a light, up to this point. I was able to see the benefits that it provides first hand, during the very maiden expedition where the Javelot joined me. I was once again walking my dog, late at night (the only time that seems to be available to me, and coincidentally very conducive to flashlight evaluation) and I had already noticed some benefits the tight beam offered. If I walk by a dark alleyway and touch off the torch, I am able to clearly see everything down the center of the driving lane, while avoiding disturbing any of the homes that frame the street with light overspray. Toward the middle of our usual pathway, we were accosted by a large dog that was unchained and decided we were a threat credible enough to need to defend the homestead. She came charging at me with full snarl and bared teeth. My initial reaction has always been to direct my flashlight to any disturbance at all even just as a threat assessment. Being hit with over a kilolumen directly in the eyes at a short distance was enough to make this large golden retriever pull up short as if I had struck it in the face. It caused an instant reevaluation of priorities in this dog and she allowed herself to be called back by her mortified owner (who hasn't left her out unchained during my walks since then).

Another shot of the XM-L2

Constructive Criticism

This is a hard light to critique. Most of my gripes are simply part of the inherent downfalls of the intent that drives this light. Because of the tremendously tight focus, I have never seen a light that gives worse tunnel vision than this. You clearly see what is lit up in the well-defined spot, but the spillbeam is so dim that your eyes wash it out entirely and you only see dark. Sweeping a field to look for potential threats is slightly frustrating because despite lighting it up to its extreme borders, you have to carefully sweep each location because nothing it visible outside that spot.

There is one nagging frustration however that haunts many lights of this caliber. My old nemesis, multipurpose tailcaps. Once again the excellently protruding tactical capable forward clicky is partially shrouded by sharp, narrow crenelations. These seem to be even more dual purpose than usual, not only providing a weak tailstanding option, but also a potential strike bezel designed for pain compliance. Honestly, if you let anything get close enough to you to hit it with this flashlight, you are using it wrong. This light would be much better served by a true protruding tailcap switch, possibly including a removable tailstand cover if necessary, because ceiling bounce is really the only viable method to use the Javelot indoors with that overwhelming spot.

Tailcap crenelations

Conclusions

What do you want in your light? Do you want one light to basically cover any task, this is not your light. If you love floody, close-range torches, this is not your light. If you're looking for one of the most powerful throw monsters you can find, especially in this 2-cell size, this fits the bill exactly. Purpose built, and good at what it does. Just don't try to use it to check on the baby in the middle of the night.

Provided for review by the kind folks at Going Gear.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks,a great stock light and a greater idea by Olight to take the chance with a domeless torch!

I am spoiled by my modded throwers so I took it from 164Kcd[stock] to ~300Kcd modded!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only objection I have with the M series O-lights is the UI.

I've grown very accustomed to clicking a button to changing modes. Tightening and loosening to change settings isn't as fast as a button push.
The light is very bright for a single cell torch. Adding the cell extender helps with run time.

Capolini

Banned
The only objection I have with the M series O-lights is the UI.

I've grown very accustomed to clicking a button to changing modes. Tightening and loosening to change settings isn't as fast as a button push.
The light is very bright for a single cell torch. Adding the cell extender helps with run time.
Totally agree,not a fan of twisting the head! Now that mine is modded it is direct drive single mode, Turn on/off at tail switch,,,no need for twisting head!

I had the M22 and sold it,,not because it was a bad light,,,,,I was getting too many shelf queens!

I still have the M3X which obviously has the same UI. The twisting head was never an issue because I always had it on max,,,,,,,,,,,most of my hikes are on hiking trails.

I learned this when my M2X was stock. You can utilize the tail switch clicky to change to another mode. Same is true w/ the M22. It was a hassle with a few half presses and full presses to accomplish that! Try activating strobe w/ the M22 when a car is coming[non hiking walk!] and your walking a dog! You have to start from "Off",,,then 2 half presses and a full press. I had to turn the light off to start this process and when I failed to do the presses correctly it never activated and the light just stayed off as the car was passing on a dangerous curvy hilly back road!

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the UI either, but this is a light I seem to simply leave on Max. I don't find that beam profile to be much use at all on any other mode, so those modes to me are superfluous.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sharp edges on the tail cap was hurting my thumb so much that I had to add foam to the switch. Now my M2x can no longer tail stand, but I can activate the light without being cut by the sharp edges. Thanks for the review. I like that this review is a bit different from the usual neutral, politically correct, don't want to offend the fan club reviews.

Capolini

Banned
Does anyone know how this compares to the Nitecore P36 ?

Totally different lights. The P36 uses a MT-G2 LED for lots of lumens and will be floody. it will NOT throw that far. The M2X is designed for throw and has a tight beam and is ~1020 lumens.

Look at this beam shot of M2X stock vs, modded!

DSC_2020_zpse39491d4.jpg

M2X Stock VS M2Xvn W/ U3 PDTc Direct Drive (Both 4 mode driver and single mode only are direct drive)

Stock on LEFT MODDED on Right. The one on the right is actually my light after he modded it! I requested the beam shots of my stock before and after!

THE TREES ARE 130'[43 YARDS] AWAY.Keep in mind stock throws ~810meters and my modded one throws ~1030 Meters[1126 yards]

Last edited:

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm liking the Javelot , might be the one for me .. How's the strobe feature ?

Capolini

Banned
is there any floodyness at all ?

Yes...you can actually see it in the beam shot comparison I provided. There certainly is enough peripheral light[flood] where can can see good enough around you. Understand that MOST of the lumens are used for throw w/ the tight and piercing center beam.

This is NOT your typical dog walking light,,,even though I use them for that[!], but I am on hiking trails where I love to identify things several hundred yards away.

I would strongly suggest my favorite light if you can afford it. Fenix TK75. ~ $180. It is known for the best ALL AROUND LIGHT balancing and delivering plenty of flood and great throw. It is a bigger light w/ 4 X 18650. 2900 lumens w/ 119Kcd/690 Meters of throw.

You can google it for more info. I don't want to take away from this review anymore!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm liking the Javelot , might be the one for me .. How's the strobe feature ?

Strobe feature works great. You have to do a little fiddly triple click to access it, but it's bright and nauseating, as it should be.

is there any floodyness at all ?

Floodyness? Not really, no. There is some spillbeam that will illuminate your surroundings some, but to me, the center spot is bright enough that it mostly washes out that area. This is a distance illuminator mainly, but you can see some surroundings in a pinch.