Want to start modding. Please inform me

Bruno28

Enlightened
Ok so I've had flashlights for a while but I think I'll get more of a smile if I mod them myself. I bet it will be more rewarding.

I've only moded one light. Wasn't really a mod, just swapped a xpe from a Jetbeam Jet II ibs to a xpg2. And wow what a difference in output.

But now I want to go further. So my question is, Vinh is famous for modding and boosting amps on drivers to gain more lumens.
So how hard is it to mod and boost? Is it a complete new driver or attach a boost to the regular driver? Or does he somehow completely mod the stock drivers?

I am a soon to be graduate mechanical engineer. So I'm competent with soldering and understanding thing.

I want to start slow. Even if it's to buy cheap hosts from banggood or gearbest and make my own XP-L or MG-G2 high output or even mod current lights I have that are a bit outdated like my TK35 or XT 10. Or even update the TN30 xml t6 to a xml2 u3 or xpl with current boost.

I do know that with higher lumens, the thermal dissipation will need to be increased to sink the extra temperature.

So please enlighten me on how those current boost are done and how difficult it really is.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Well it's good to see another wanting to take the plunge. I don't think there is anymore relative advice more important than "jump in feet first". Gamble. Risk your desire with intuitive assumption. So what if your wrong? It's worth the risk. And you will learn! Just don't gamble without consideration of loss. Risk your items. Not others.

You think Vinh got where he is asking others for advice? If you think you are who you really are than will research every direction your creative desires lead you to. Trust me. You can prove yourself given time. Be patient. Mastering modification is not difficult. It's about creativity, ingenuity. And your asking the basic question is the first step.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Yeah. I will research. Just wanted to know about how it's done and weather it's more difficult than I think.

I dont know much about electronics as I'm a mechanical engineer and not electronical.

Just thought somone could point me to the resources or informative websites.