LAPD and Burbank PD issue lights?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Long ago, I went on a ride along with my local PD (LAPD and Burbank PD) in California, and back then they were using streamlights, the long big heavy ones.
I know recently that LAPD has switched to Pelican 7060s. Is this this still true or did they switch to anything else?

And what do the Burbank police use as their duty light? Do they also use Pelicans?

If someone knows this, I would appreciate the responses.

Mike 208

Enlightened
LAPD still issues the Pelican 7060. I don't know about Burbank PD.

Also, to my knowledge, LAPD did not issue Streamlight flashlights. Officer bought them (SL20s and Stingers) using (mostly) their equipment allowance. The SL20s were preferred as they are user serviceable, unlike other full size lights (i.e. MagCharger, unless you have the tools/knowledge to repair them). Most stores that sold the SL20 also sold replacement parts. Also, the SL20 is easier to position properly in the hand when drawing from the sap pocket (the "club hold"), due to the raised switch.

A few years ago, many Officers preferred the Streamlight Stinger flashlight over Surefire rechargables, because the Stinger cost less than Surefire (still the case today) and you did not have to remove the battery to recharge it (many Officers prefer "set-it-and-forget-it" when it comes to recharging flashlights) . Also, when CR123A batteries could only be found for between $6.00 to $8.00 each, it was cheaper all around to purchase a Stinger.

Most of the above information comes from a woman I've been friends with for close to 38 years. She has worked sales in the law enforcement equipment field for over 25 years, and has guided me in some flashlight purchases (which I've never regretted - I still have the SL20, Surefire 6R and the "original" Stinger). She told me that at one time her store only carried the Surefire lights (models 6P, 6R and 9P - you can see how far back this goes) and the full size Streamlight SL20. When her store started selling the Stingers, they (almost) could not give away the Surefires. After several weeks (and some discounting), they were able to "unload" the Surefires. To this date, her store does not carry any Surefire lights (the owners will no longer carry them - "too expensive"). Her store only carries Streamlight and Pelican (both rechargeable and CR123A models), but have discussed carrying Maglite Mag-Tacs (and perhaps other models as well).

Hope this answers some of your questions.