SureFire think they can do better then?!

Size15's

Flashaholic
It seems that SureFire now have their own "SF123A" batteries!

Obviously, SureFire must expect more from a battery then Duracell Ultras can provide so they have their own.

PK gives us a sneak preview!

SureFire SF123A

I can't wait to see just how they can improve the SureFires I have!

Wouldn't it be great if not only would overall runtime, but also peak output be sustained for longer.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is certainly a big difference between those who need to use SureFires and those that would like to be able to justify the running costs for a more personal lust for better light quality.

However, SureFires produce an excellent line of rechargeable flashlights to help reduce the running costs.

It is true that with SureFires, the main feature you pay for is the Lamp Module and Reflector technology. Bearing in mind the amazing output places incredible stresses and strains on the bulb, I am not only very surprised at what the SureFires can take in terms of abuse, and also how long the Lamp Modules last.

Whilst I believe that there is only one factory in the USA that produces Lithium 3V "CR123A" cells, I do not believe SureFire would waste money repackaging Duracell Ultras. There must be more to these SF123A otherwise SureFire would be sticking with the best currently available - Duracell Ultras.

Of course, I believe that SureFire can develop illumination tools for a wide range of users, and will be enhanced by the use of LEDs in some models.
The LED Bezel is a perfect example.

Al

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope your right Al, I really do...I would love to have a SureFire someday...and I will. Just have to wait till they build one for poor folk like me...
smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only three manufacturers of 2/3A size cells, AKA 123-type cells: Duracell, Eveready, and Sanyo. Duracell rates their cell at 3.3v/1400MAH, sanyo rates their cell at 3.2v/1300MAH. All three have an internal thermal bypass/shutdown mechanism. The Duracells have the higher capacity, and slighty incresed voltage, which is probably why they seem to have a bit more "spunk" than other brands. SF does not have the capacity to manufacture their own cells, there are too many variables involved in the manufacturing process (i.e. HAZMAT, facilities, emplyoyees, training, etc). Also, why would SF make their own cell, when they don't even make their own bulb/reflector assembly?

--dan

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I drives home my thoughts that SureFire is profiting as much on batts/bulbs as flashlights...I have a feeling we will see them stall on LED`s...it might be looked on as cutting into their batt/bulb sales and translating to reduced profits...lower managment might be all for lower power options...but I doubt upper mangagment/owners would be...I would expect them to build proto`s to have ready should some other company pose a real threat to their upper end market...in the meanwhile, why throw a bolt into the money machine...maybe later when they feel they have no choice we will see lower watt bulbs for general day to day use in the E-2 and others...when the competition leaves them no other way out or the demand from users becomes extreme.

I beleive SureFire is only placing their name on a known battery...probably the Duracell Ulta...I do not think they have the money to manufacture their own...or the desire to do so...I would not expect a change in performance or run time...maybe on the first few sold as they would be fresher/newer...maybe...but this benifit would soon be lost as inventory grows and they sit on the shelf longer...

I would love a high quality light like the SureFire...the maintance cost is way to high for me right now...I simply would not be able to enjoy useing it...thinking about how much each minute of use was costing me...I`m just to poor...

If they would market a light useing AA`s or C`s with common bulbs, but with their reflector design...I would buy it. Ever wonder why they don`t? (we would not be as likely to buy their batts/bulbs) They profit more by offering only upper end products with short, super bright, run times...really meant for occasional use by police, military, fire and rescue ect...for most tasks...camping, hiking, looking under the couch, hurricane emergency...it would be the last light I would reach for...I like lights I can use often, are bright AND offer a reasonable run time with cheap, easily found, common batts.

I`m a flashaholic after all...my 2 cents

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`d be interested to know what the Panasonic 123s are like too, since my 9Z is about due its first feeding and Duracell Ultras aren`t to be found in this bit of the world, at least not at a price I can afford. I can get Panasonic 123s online for 98p, or at least I could at the last time I looked.

shocked.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
If I remember correctly Panasonic's are made by Energizer. Carley makes the "surefire" lamps. Carley also makes most of the lamps for Streamlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
PK has confirmed that the SF123As are the highest spec batteries ever to be sold by SureFire.
To quote PK's post in this thread in the SureFire Forum:

Sir. Windler,
My sincere thank you for your trust in SureFire.
SF123A is indeed better than any version(revision) of Lithium batteries we have sold before.

I am not sure about price.
BUT, MSRP $3.85
I do not know what is that translated to street price.

pk

I have my creditcard ready for my Dealer!

Al
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dano, what about Panasonic 123's ?
They are the most common around where I live.

Also, who does make the SureFire bulb/reflectors, that info came as a surprise to me ......

Lite-Lover
shocked.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Panasonic cells, i believe, are made by eveready (Energizer)...BUT i tracked down info some time ago, that may be slightly misleading, that had Sany making Energizer's 123-type cell...Who knows...As for the SF123's...3.85/each isn't too bad of a price, probably will be slightly less at street level. I wonder who's making them...Duracell won't outsource unless their name is on it (i.e. Duracell no longer makes batteries for Costco warehouse stores)...We'll see...

--dan