LED Flashlight maintenance needed?!

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
I'm newbie to the LED flashlight and I just got myself a Thrunite Ti (Titanium Version). Like it very very much!!

I am going to get more LED flashlight for myself soon (bigger, higher lumens) as I found it is very useful when needed.
I would like to keep them up to the performance always but I don't know how to maintain it, is it free of maintenance?

Hope you can share your experiences.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
You just need keep the battery charged. I don't think have to do much to keep it bright. Maybe clean the threads and keep it lubricate once a year or something.

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Newguy2012! How about if I'm keeping it in my car? in my country, temperature inside the car will raise up to 50 degree Celsius when it's parked under the Sun.

will it shorten the LED or the batteries lifetime?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Storing it in your car I would suggest checking the battery once a week during those temps. You're not using alkaline right?

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm using alkaline currently since I'm new and yet to decide which rechargeable batteries to purchase.....

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kj2, that's in my mind currently! the review was great but am worry on the china made eneloop, will perform well compare to Japan made?

ven

Flashaholic
Buy eneloop 3rd gen:)

As said,make sure threads clean,nyogel is good,couple of small dabs on threads and O ring,make sure O ring covered. Wipe excess off and good to go.............I check/clean every 6 months or so,depending on use. Just dont use too much,sometimes less is best:thumbsup:

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs:twothumbs Thanks Ven!

May I know why we need to make sure the threads is clean? corrosive issue?

ven

Flashaholic
:twothumbs:twothumbs Thanks Ven!

May I know why we need to make sure the threads is clean? corrosive issue?

Several reasons,from making sure a good contact to any dirt that could be abrasive over time on the threads. Q tip comes in handy for this job:)

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
Clean thread with good contact means less resistance for the circuits, create better energy to light conversion and at the same time protecting the thread being wear off after sometime, am I right?

ven

Flashaholic
Yes:)

No need to go ott with it though,just clean,little lube and routinely inspect/clean...............job done and hopefully years of enjoyment/use:thumbsup:

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
I had some cheap Costco lights that hadn't had their threads cleaned in about 3 years. It became hard to remove the end cap and put it back on to the point that it squeaked when I did it. Once I cleaned and lubed the threads and o-ring it was much easier and no more squeaking.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to store in the car, then I would just buy lithium batteries (NOT LITHIUM ION)as they are good for 10 year shelf life.
As mentioned above clean and lube the threads.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Normale lithium batteries are NOT rechargeable, keep that in mind.
But they are great if you don't use it very much and for leaving in your car like FlashKat mentioned.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kj2, that's in my mind currently! the review was great but am worry on the china made eneloop, will perform well compare to Japan made?

Do not worry where your Eneloops were made,another scare story for the Anoraks to get embroiled in.If that is where they are going to be made it is tuff and just buy another make.I am not going to make myself look a complete plonker asking the shop assistant where they were made.:shakehead

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not worry where your Eneloops were made,another scare story for the Anoraks to get embroiled in.If that is where they are going to be made it is tuff and just buy another make.I am not going to make myself look a complete plonker asking the shop assistant where they were made.:shakehead

Except that PowerMeUp tested them in the battery forum, and the Chinese Eneloops lasted only half as many cycles as the Japanese ones. That's probably good enough, but since Eneloops usually cost a premium, I'm not going to pay that premium for mediocre Chinese cells.

All Japanese Eneloops have "made in Japan" written on the battery label. Very easy to look yourself, no need to look like a complete plonker to the hot shop assistant.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except that PowerMeUp tested them in the battery forum, and the Chinese Eneloops lasted only half as many cycles as the Japanese ones. That's probably good enough, but since Eneloops usually cost a premium, I'm not going to pay that premium for mediocre Chinese cells.

All Japanese Eneloops have "made in Japan" written on the battery label. Very easy to look yourself, no need to look like a complete plonker to the hot shop assistant.

I could not care less chappy where they are made,no intention of reading the label either,will buy them when needed or any make as I am ok with other brands. Eneloop have chosen the Chinese route so that is fine by me.:nana:

The above is intended only as representative of my opinion not others opinion,
nor is it meant as an entreatment to invite any response by any other
regarding subject matter, content or anything associated by any other.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not care less chappy where they are made,no intention of reading the label either,will buy them when needed or any make as I am ok with other brands. Eneloop have chosen the Chinese route so that is fine by me.:nana:

Yeah, but you also like alkalines, so there's no accounting for taste! :devil: