What if...?

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
I had a dream last night. It was a normal dream: weird and senseless. However, it included a situation where in walking in the woods, I came upon a flashlight, lying on the ground, still turned on. This is not something that happens often in normal life, so I thought it was worth a little more thought, just for the fun of it.

Simple question: If it were you in this situation, how would you react? What would you do? How would you feel?

Obviously, the set-up plays a big role in this scenario. Let's say you are on a normal, evening walk. The sun will be setting in an hour at most. Civilization is not infinitely far away, but not within sight (mostly because of the trees) in any direction. Maybe a quarter-mile at the closest. That's a reasonable distance to have walked into a woods alone, right? I'm modeling the setting off of a real-life area I know, fyi. So I can answer more detailed questions about that if need be.

I guess I thought it'd be interesting to hear what other people think they would do.

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
Alone, or with someone?

Immediate thoughts...........
What happened to make someone drop their flashlight? DANGER ? ? ? ? ACCIDENT ? ? ? ? Around here you dont leave behind a light, knife, bow, or gun. If somebody does, and they dont start hollering before you can even pick it up, SOMETHING IS WRONG. Its just a matter of how wrong.

So.....

Draw the 40 / Ka-Bar / whatever I have with me, and out of habit I am almost always armed in some form. Start scanning the area, and keep scanning non stop.

Then it depends on alone or not.

Alone.........kinda hard to watch my own back and front all at once.
1) Time to go. Mark the spot, go get somebody.
2) Come back with at least one other person and check it out in depth. Call out, listen inspect the area for signs of a struggle, ect.

With at least one other person.............. eyes and ears open.
Proceed as #2 above.

Maybe its nothing, maybe its something. I would rather try to do something about it than find out later someone died or something because I did nothing.

This day and age, people do crazy S*#@&! to other people.
I am more than willing to jump in and stop them if I can. Or at least try, if I think it will make a difference.
If I don't know whats going on, or how many people I am up against, I will go get help.

Then theres accident/medical emergency stuff.

I guess it would also depend on where. My home town area, or in the city.

Where I live (backwards small town that wants to be a "Big City", surrounded by farm and river bottoms timber) its not uncommon to see guys walking around with a BA knife on their hip. Open carry is technically not legal, but its been know to happen as well. Mostly at the farm store (they mostly could care less), or Wal-m.

I try not to carry in stores and such, but can tell you out of towners FREAK when your in the checkout line and move your coat to pull your wallet out..........oops, forgot to leave the K in the truck. Locals at the worst shake their heads, they are pretty used to it.

Anyway, thats about it. Find out whats up, help if I can, but keep an eye out for trouble so nothing happens to me.