Surefire U2a - Soul P4

richstag

Enlightened
Hello,

I have edc'd this light since I bought it at the first introduction of the P4 versions. I have been looking at new lights but the more I do the more I think of modding this one instead. If I swap to a Luxeun V tube for 18650 or stacked 18350's how will the light function?

What is the best led that will work with the buck chip and either of the aforementioned 18mm battery configurations? Is one configuration better suited than the other in terms of voltage requirements?

Would I want high current IMR's or protected cells?

Keep in mind, if I go replacement led, I am looking for high CRI, either Cree or Nichia. I want throw over spill but a combination none the less.

Does upgrading the switch have an advantage at these lower current draws?

I am looking to retain fully functionality of the brightness adjustment and retaining the perfect beam/spill quality of this light. CRI rating is more important to me than brightness, but I want brighter than stock. Neutral to warm temp with no ugly colors from lousy quality led's.

If modding this light is not worth it please let me know. I figure why stop using it if I can upgrade it. I can get the bezel off to access the front of the led but what do I need to know about positioning a replacement led as far as height and centering for focusing?

Basically I am looking to get schooled on what can be done with this light. I've been looking a lot at oveready for custom bored hosts and the mini turbo heads but this route may be better for me.

Here's an old pic of the light:

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

richstag

Enlightened
Thank you for the links and info. Who are the absolute best modern on this site that would take on an upgrade like this? Like I mentioned I already have the head off.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully others will speak on this matter. I like Nitroz but he has a really difficult project of mine right now and he has had other priorities of late.

Vinh Nguyen has a substantial fan base here on CPF. The four items he has made for me are very impressive, though I had complications. He has a good reputation for standing behind his work. Since you have removed the head, he may work on your U2. His experience with Cree emitters is vast, I believe, but he does Nichia and Luminus(?) as well.

richstag

Enlightened
Thank you, and I hope we get some response too.

I put together a few photos to show/compare my current go to lights in hopes that the modders/experts will get the gist for what I have and where I want to go :)

I picked three spots to shoot from. I used a laser rangefinder to find distance in meters. I exposed for the surefire u2a as the control (Showing what I see in real vision). All photos were then shot in the same exposure lock at a WB of 5250. Daytime control photos taken at late afternoon/close to set sunlight.

Control 31 meters
KRG_2443-2 by Richstag, on Flickr

Surefire U2a
KRG_2455 by Richstag, on Flickr

Tigerlight Incandescent
KRG_2456 by Richstag, on Flickr

WisLed 2000
KRG_2457 by Richstag, on Flickr

Control 69 meters
KRG_2447-2 by Richstag, on Flickr

Surefire U2a
KRG_2459 by Richstag, on Flickr

Tigerlight Incandescent
KRG_2460 by Richstag, on Flickr

WisLed 2000
KRG_2461 by Richstag, on Flickr

Control 147 meters
KRG_2445-2 by Richstag, on Flickr

Surefire U2a
KRG_2462 by Richstag, on Flickr

Tigerlight Incandescent
KRG_2463 by Richstag, on Flickr

Wiseled 2000
KRG_2465 by Richstag, on Flickr

Please help me out with this one fellows.

Thanks,

Kevin

m4a1usr

Enlightened
The easiest and fastest LED upgrade to the U2a is just put in a XML2 on copper after cutting off the raised portions of the heat sink. A 16mm MCPCB does the trick perfectly. My first one was using an XPG2 and what a throw monster. But very little spill. Second one used a XPL and it was better but still little spill. My recent build was with the XML2 in 4200k and it has to now be my favorite since the XML takes full advantage of the reflector design. Excellent hot spot, perfect round beam profile but having just about the right amount of spill for this size reflector. You gotta luv the U2 for UI alone if nothing else!

richstag

Enlightened
Do you have any pics of WIP, finished light and beam shots? I would be very interested to see.

Thank you.