Side by side orientation 2xAAA EDC light

Megaman85

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Just joined CPF today and I want to see if this is a thing. I've trolled around and can't find any mention of something like this, but please feel free to direct me to a similar thread if one exists. Also apologies if i didn't do the image correctly, I tried the practice post, but it hasn't updated yet.

I would like a 2xAAA light that stores the batteries in a side-by-side orientation. I don't like penlight style bodies, but I think I would like a configuration like a Spy 007 for EDC (without spending hundreds of dollars that is). I already know the obvious answer is to just drop a 10440 into a compatible 1xAAA, but that's just no fun. Not to mention the reduced run times compared to a 2xAAA.

So here's my idea. Take a Preon 1 with a clicky tailcap and chop it in half, then stick both parts into a plastic body as pictured below. Forgive my crappy drawing.

8hOWk1F

http://imgur.com/8hOWk1F

It seems like a do-able mod with a mill, or a 3-D printer. I figure make the plastic body a clamshell design with screws going through the body to retained nuts on the opposite side. The only thing I can't think of how to do is how to attached the pocket clip.

I'll be honest, I don't really want to do a mod like this myself. I was more hoping someone knows of a light similar to this that already exists (with the exception of the Spy 007 again). If there isn't anything out there that is close, I might try to make this, it'll be a good excuse to get Solidworks...

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Check out the Princeton tech amp 1L. I agree, I don't like long super skinny lights; I'd prefer a side by side orientation as well.

Another consideration would be if your power source had to be aaa, or if you'd be willing to do aa. Also if it has to be only 2 batteries, as opposed to 4aaa. I know the same company also makes a 4aaa light in 2x2 configuration.

You could also check out the underwater kinetics 2 aaa mini lights; those are probably a little closer to your drawing. I am pretty sure all of those lights are twisties though.

Last edited: