Defiant w/ Cree jcy or xml led

mustang67ford

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at lights today at homedepot. Went in to look at the minimag pro but seen a defiant 3d with 500+ lumens. It was the tactical light and came with rubber caps. The led was an XML by Cree. Then, on the top shelf, there was the same light but in different packaging. It came with batteries and noted 600 lumens. It had a Cree Jcy or jgy led in it. I couldn't find any specs on that led. The lights had the same sku #. For some reason, the one with the batteries felt a little lighter. Anybody know which LED is better? I am just starting to get into light modding. When I seen the price on the defiant compared to the minimag pro, I figured why not go for the bigger is better.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at lights today at homedepot. Went in to look at the minimag pro but seen a defiant 3d with 500+ lumens. It was the tactical light and came with rubber caps. The led was an XML by Cree. Then, on the top shelf, there was the same light but in different packaging. It came with batteries and noted 600 lumens. It had a Cree Jcy or jgy led in it. I couldn't find any specs on that led. The lights had the same sku #. For some reason, the one with the batteries felt a little lighter. Anybody know which LED is better? I am just starting to get into light modding. When I seen the price on the defiant compared to the minimag pro, I figured why not go for the bigger is better.

i work at home depot and know exactly the two lights your talking about. there both the same lights just package different. both have the cree xml2 led.
i had the 600 one. i dedomed the led and i had to shave off the top lip on the reflector for it to sit farther down in the light to focus correctly and i was getting about 150kcd before one day i unscrewed the reflector and the xml2 unmounted lol. must not have been enough solder.

also if you want modding tips head over to Vinhnguyen sub forum

mustang67ford

Newly Enlightened
If they both have the same led, are the same light, why does one led say XML and the other say something else lik jcy or jgy? Also, how can one have more lumens and a different light throw if it were the same test? The one with the batteries also felt lighter. I know the led in the packaged one with batteries did not say XML.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
we may not be talking about the same light but if you talking about the one im thinking of there both xml2. also you cant trust throw numbers and lumen ratings on these packages. they just toss some numbers on a box a call it a day