Review: Fenix LD60 3*Cree XM-L2 (U2)/3*18650/6*CR123A LED Flashlight

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD60 3*Cree XM-L2 (U2)/3*18650/6*CR123A LED Flashlight
*Fenix LD60 provided for review courtesy of Banggood.com

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION FROM BANGGOOD.COM

==============================================

The Fenix LD60 outdoor flashlight provides unmatched performance and flexibility with three light sources. Thanks to the separate circuit design, the LD60 works well even when one or two LEDs are not powered. Utilizing three Cree XM-L2 LEDs, the LD60 offers 2800-lumen max output while a single press on the side switch is all you need for output selection and instant strobe.

Specification:
Product name: Fenix LD60 3*Cree XM-L2(U2) LED Flashlight
Brand: Fenix
Model: LD60
Emitter Brand/Type: CREE
Emitter BIN: XM-L2(U2)
Material: Durable aircraft-grade aluminum
Mode:
Turbo(2800lumens,1h30min)
High(1500lumens,3h)
Middle(500lumens,9h)
Low(160lumens,29h)
Eco(30lumens,150h)
Brightness: 2800lm
Battery Configurations: 3 x rechargeable 18650 batteries
6 x non-rechargeable CR123A batteries (batteries not included)
Switch Type: Clicky
Switch Location: Side of the flashlight
Finish: Premium type 3 hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Beam Distance: 1,509-foot/460-meter
Distance: 460m
Intensity: Max 53000cd
Impact resistant: 1m
Waterproof: IPX-8 underwater 2m
Weight: 364g (excluding batteries)
Color: Black
Size: 155mm (Length) x 63mm (Head dia.) x 46mm (Tube dia.)

Features:
* Utilizes three Cree XM-L2 (U2) LEDs with a lifespan of 50,000 hours.
* Instant-Strobe function.
* Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation.
* Compact construction.
* Powered by three 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries or six 3V CR123ALithium batteries.
* Triple LEDs with separate circuit design.
* Intuitive one-button operation.
* Camera tripod mountable.
* Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness.
* Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation.
* Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface.
* Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
* Waterproof to IPX-8 standard. 6.5 feet/2 meters for 30 minutes.

Package included:
1 x Fenix LD60 3*Cree XM-L2(U2) LED Flashlight
1 x Holster
1 x Lanyard
1 x O-ring
=============================================

PROS

• Excellent Output
  • Fantastic throw in such a compact light
  • Very nice SMO reflector
  • Perfectly centered LEDs
  • Good overall build quality
  • Nice switch feel
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Easy to use UI
  • Nice moderate knurling
  • Great hard anodizing
  • Unibody construction
  • AR coated lens
  • Tripod mounting hole
  • Lubricated threads
  • Extremely versatile cell capabilities.
  • Well hidden Strobe mode
  • That fantastic Fenix strobe mode
  • Tail stands
CONS

• Bad flicker in all modes except for Turbo
  • Threading on tailcap feels very rough
  • Smooth but sharp edges on fins
  • Extremely poor laser etching
  • Lanyard holes not chamfered and are very sharp on the inside edge. Will cut through a lanyard.
  • Threads in the head of the light are glued. Difficult to mod.
  • Included holster is cheap and poorly made.

PHOTOS & DETAILS

^ Packaging is standard Fenix fare with photos, features and specifications printed on the retail box

^ Inside is a clear vacuum formed tray that holds the LD60 securely. Along with the torch is a holster, braided lanyard, spare O-rings, user manual, and warranty card.

^ The LD60 is a handsome, compact flashlight.

^ The holster is the same cheap type of holster that came with the TK35UE. The flap is too long, the open sides smack of cheapness, the belt loop doesn't offer quick removal /attachment and requires you to take off your belt when putting it on or off. The tiny D-ring loop is thin and narrow. I wouldn't trust it.

^ Each Fenix LD60 has a unique serial number etched onto it's head. The brushed stainless steel bezel around the switch looks great. Deep fins offer great heat shedding potential.

^ The laser etching on the name and model are horrible. I've seen better on $5 flashlights.

^ The edges on the heat fins are smooth but very sharp. Prepare for a lot of skin and dirt to get caught on the edges.

^ A standard tripod mounting hole is machined into the head exactly opposite the switch.

^ The knurling is very nice. Not too aggressive and not too smooth,. Just right.

^ Large lanyard slots in the tail cap allow for 550 Paracord to be used if wanted. Unfortunately only the outer edge of each hole is lightly chamfered. The inner edges are very sharp and raw after machining. They are likely to wear through a lanyard.

^ Simple and plain tail cap allows easy tail standing.

^ The ultra clear lens is AR coated.

^ SMO reflector cups are outstanding and provide fantastic throw. The emitters are perfectly centered.

^ A quick look at the output at each of the mode levels.

^ The fine, square threads on the tailcap came well lubricated. Oddly, they feel very rough. Rougher than the usual grittiness my other Fenix lights suffer from.

^ Panasonic NCR18650A cells fit easily with room to spare. Longer, protected cells shouldn't have a problem fitting. Anode springs are of even length.

^ The battery tube appears to be extruded. It looks fantastic but it does seem to be a bit loose around the cells. Like my other Fenix lights, the LD60 sounds a bit like an old clock when shaken.

^ Here is a glimpse down the inside of the tube giving a shot of the driver board and the anode springs.

^ The tail cap is well made and designed. To keep the cathode springs in contact as the cap is rotated on/off the entire PCB spins on a center pin. The long outer pin sticks into any of the smaller outer channels and keeps the PCB in one position oriented to the cells while the outer cap rotates.

^ A better look at how the tail cap assembly works.

^ Size comparisons to other lights in it's size and output class. The 2 photos above show from left to right: Black Shadow Terminator Gen2, Olight SR15 Mini Intimidator, the Lumintop PS03, the Fenix LD60, and the ThruNite TN30.

The LD60 falls right in between the more compact flooders (except the BST) and the ThruNite TN30. The head of the LD60 is about the same size as that of the TN30 and although the individual reflector cups in the LD60 are slightly smaller than those of the TN30 the extra depth and perfect shape give it slightly better throw than the TN30.

USER INTERFACE

The LD60 has a very nice, simple UI with a well hidden strobe mode. Last mode memory is always welcome and I am happy to see it used in the LD60.

From Off

• Long press (0.5 second) to turn it On
  • Press and hold for 1.2 seconds to engage momentary Strobe. Release the switch to turn it off.
From On

• Long press (0.5 second) to turn it Off.
  • A quick click cycles through modes starting from the last used mode of Lowest to Highest then back to lowest where it repeats.
  • Press and hold for 1.2 seconds to engage that great Fenix strobe mode. A second quick click returns you to the previous regular mode.

That's it. Easy to use and remember. With Strobe accessible by a longer press you can cycle through the modes as fast as you like to get to the mode you want without worrying about turning it on. Mechanical lockout can be had when not in use to avoid any parasitic drain caused by the electronic switch circuitry and to avoid the LD60 turning on in your pocket or pack..

PERFORMANCE

Output is as claimed in all modes except for Turbo where my sample was notably higher in output than Fenix claims. Low mode is acceptable for a light designed to be a compact thrower and Turbo mode, well, 512 meters of throw makes it a great thrower for a triple LED torch of this size!

I have one serious issue with Fenix and with the LD60 in particular and that is the asinine flicker they programmed into the light. Others have put the LD60 on an oscilloscope to see what causes the flicker and it is technically not true PWM because it's not a digital type on and off but instead it has a regulated curve in the output with each "pulse". But in my opinion you can call it what you like and try to defend it as not being PWM but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then I'm going to call it a duck, in this case I'll call it PWM. I expect to see this flicker in poorly designed drivers like those found in cheap Chinese xxxxfire clones but not in a light made by Fenix.

trans.gif

That said, let's move on...

A nice feature with the LD60 is the driver has individual circuits for each cell/LED. You can use three 18650 cells or six CR123A primaries or various combinations of the two. If you have only one 18650 cell then only one LED is used in the light. Two cells used means 2 LEDs used. Mix and match the the 18650 cells with CR123A primaries in any of the combinations shown below.

9172014124842AM55917.jpg

TESTING RESULTS

OTF lumen output was measured in a 16″ Integrated Sphere that has been calibrated against many known lights as well as against other known accurate spheres. Throw was measured at 3 meters and calculated back to 1 meter.

BEAM SHOTS
The gif below shows all modes of the LD60. Output of all the lights in the photos below are even better in person but should give an idea or relevant output compared to a couple other known lights in similar class.

The next few photos compare the Fenix LD60 with the ThruNite TN30 and the Lumintop PS03.

CONCLUSION

The LD60 is a very good light but not a great one. A few minor changes and it could be great. For the $194 retail price I expect more for the money. Much more refinement. Much better current control. Much better holster. Much better finish. For the $150 "street" price (or less if you can get a great sale somewhere) it's a bit more palatable. If you are not sensitive to flicker or plan to use it only on Turbo outdoors or need a compact multi-LED thrower that can roll with the bigger boys then the LD60 just might be a light for you. It is a good light.

I'm just a bit disappointed in Fenix quality of late. It seems to get a little worse with each light I test from them. It's the little things like sharp edges on lanyard holes, splotchy faded etching, sharp edges on fins, cheap holsters, bad battery rattle, etc. Overall it's a kickass little performer and I'm sure it will last a long time and be very reliable but the flicker really bugs me in a light like this. I think I've laid out the good and the bad with the LD60 well enough that you can decide for yourself if it's the light for you. If you like to mod and have a heat gun and a couple of strap wrenches to open the head then it would be a great candidate for a better driver.

kj2

Flashaholic
Spots in the laser engraving, have seen that before with Fenix lights. Thanks for the review :)

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I bought mine at a black Friday sale for use as a battery powered work light. I use it with a tripod and diffuser and it's worked out well for me. I like the size, modes and output/throw of the light so I have been using it for a dog walking light also. I only notice the PWM like flicker in the snow or rain and it doesn't bother me, although I can see how it could really bother someone sensitive to it. I do like this light and have been using it quite alot, that said I think you hit the nail on the head with your review. Thanks again.

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I bought mine at a black Friday sale for use as a battery powered work light. I use it with a tripod and diffuser and it's worked out well for me. I like the size, modes and output/throw of the light so I have been using it for a dog walking light also. I only notice the PWM like flicker in the snow or rain and it doesn't bother me, although I can see how it could really bother someone sensitive to it. I do like this light and have been using it quite alot, that said I think you hit the nail on the head with your review. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words, Taz. ;)

I was just informed by Neal at Banggood that they are offering a special promo code on the light if anyone wants to buy one. Just use promo code LD60 when checking out. Due to MAP pricing I can't say what the price is but it's a nice discount and makes the LD60 much more appealing. ;)