backpack for SLR camera?

K-T

*Moderator*
I am in search for a backpack for my SLR, I have a PeliCase for travel but would like something when on the road, I used to have one of these standard camera bags you hang around your shoulder but this one is too small now and uncomforteable, I thought one of these photography backpacks might be more handy. The two brands I have looked at didn't meet my interests. Both Lowe and Tamrac had things that made them a definite "no-buy". cheap materials, ultra thin carrying system, or huge and bulky, etc... .

It should be a small backpack with some space for an aditional sweatshirt or rain-coat. Other than that the camera /w lense, one (better two) additional lense, flash and little accessories need to be stuffed somewhere.

Who can help?`

TIA,

Klaus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
back pack and slr dont seem good to me to hard to get at when ya want that specail shot i carry my cam in hand or around neck with strap

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
back pack and slr dont seem good to me to hard to get at when ya want that specail shot i carry my cam in hand or around neck with strap

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes, usually I do have the SLR in my hand and the rest in the backpack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Nevertheless the backpack should give housing for the camera, too.

I will take a look at the Tatonka backpacks, haven't seen them around here yet. Thanks.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pretty high quality, comfortable, laptop backpack at Staples on clearance for $15.00, added another layer of padding from an oversized mousepad that I had laying around, sewed in several elastic straps in various strategic places.

Took me an evening to do the work, but I have room to carry my Nikon D-100 & 5 lenses, half a dozen filters, plenty of memory cards, batteries cleaning & maintainence supplies, all safely and securely. Can even carry my "backup" camera in it too if necessary. If I leave the Nikon out, the laptop will fit in there too.

Beats the heck out of spending over $200 for a "professional" photo backpack.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my digtal is in a bag for a camera then i put that bag in a make up carying thing i got at dollor store my slr is in a case from a laptop my dad got me the lap top was on ly 3 bucks with the case was only a 486 or something

zorba

Enlightened
Check the Lowepro range. They are pretty expensive but worth every single dollar you spent on them. I have the off-road bag which accomodates my camcorder, canon A40 digicam and spares.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be to make your own. I didn't like carrying a couple thousand dollars worth of camera equipment in a bag that yells
"Here I Am full of expensive camera equipment. Come steal me quick! Oh and if I can afford all of this I might have money, so think about robbing me too!".
So I have always made my own from all kinds of things like backpacks, to coolers.

K-T

*Moderator*
Zobra, I might have to take a second look at the LowePro packs, the ones I saw weren't as I wanted them to be - cannot remember what it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Casey, I didn't know Crumpler made backpacks. I have only seen lots of these "sidebags" and they were of a very good quality. Hopefully the backpacks are what I was looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif thanks.

Bravo, a very good point which made me put my standard camera bag inside a harmless backpack so nobody would know what's inside. Now with additional gear it doesn't fit anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif - I doubt though that I have enough skills (and time) to make my own.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I'm going to have to look into this as well. I really like the old Pentax Auto 110SLR that I have, but there are drawbacks to having to carry around the camera, motor drive, flash unit, four lenses (Plus the zoom one that's near as big as the camera), and about a million filters. And of course, you can never pick what to leave behind...so end up taking everything!

Anyone else ever encountered a 110 SLR? This is the only one I've seen.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they make a belt pack just big enough to hold an SLR and the single attached lens with no accesories? I may end up purchasing a Canon Digital Rebel and want to be able to grab it while hiking without having to pull it from the backpack.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried Tenba or Domke? Along with Lowepro, these are also popular among pro photographers for quality. Each brand should have a couple of small sized ones for daily use too.

If you are not going to be throwing the pack around, too much insulation will just make the bag bulkier without space to stuff your gear. And personally, I would choose a shoulder type bag for quick access to equipment. If you don't need to change lenses often, this shouldn't be much of a problem though.

Also, there are some backpacks which have 2 separate compartments, one on the bottom with pads and dividers, and a compartment above for storing clothes, lunch etc. These are like the one Geoff has suggested. They tend to get 'bottom heavy' when loaded but are convenient.

It's up to you where you purchase and I am not affiliated with this dealer, but reccomend you take a look here as you can compare from a vast range of brands and types.
Go to Home < Cameras & Photo Gear < General Photo Gear < Bags and Cases (by Type)
<Backpacks and Daypacks and also
<Belt & Hip packs and Holster & Zoom Cases
geepondy, you may find something interesting in the latter two as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Nekomane, thanks for your great help. I have nver heard of Tenba or Domke. I will take a look at your link.

browntown

Newly Enlightened
A good hiking quality pack manufacturer is MountainSmith, I've tried their Lumbar series of packs, and they're really nice, you pay a high price unfortunately though. They're not designed for cameras, but they're large enough to put some padding in or maybe just stick your pelican case in. On that end you should check out the over-the-top gexar stuff, pelican case mated to lumbar pack belt.
I think you could go for a swim with it and not worry about your camera.

http://www.gexar.com/pages/02clumbar.html

The LowePro stuff always looked pretty nice to me.