Nitecore tm26 aw 18650 problem - help

magnum70383

Enlightened
I have aw 18650 2600mah cells. I insert the batteries, twist it to a close, nothing; oled doesn't turn on. I have thrunite 3400mah cells that work... What's wrong?

kj2

Flashaholic
Are those AW batteries flat-top? Thrunite has button right? Could be a connection problem.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are the batteries are too long for the battery tube to make contact with the negative ring inside the TM26 head.
I've got some Panasonic 18650b protected cells that won't work in any of my Tiny Monster lights.

They're almost .060" longer than either Nitecore or Keeppower 3400's.

magnum70383

Enlightened
I raised the contacts on the tm26 so that it's closes snug but still nothing... Lol. It's like none of the cells are touching the ends cuz all it takes is 1 cell to work this light

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quickie test to see if the battery tube is making a ground.
With no batteries in the light, screw the tube all the way onto the TM26 body. Now take a marker in place a line lengthwise between the body and the tube.
Insert the batteries and tighten the same way again. If the mark doesn't align, the batteries are keeping the light from making contact.
As was asked before, are the AW cells button topped or flat topped? You didn't answer.

magnum70383

Enlightened
Aw are flat top, ordered them on the marketplace from aw.

Here's a quickie test to see if the battery tube is making a ground.
With no batteries in the light, screw the tube all the way onto the TM26 body. Now take a marker in place a line lengthwise between the body and the tube.
Insert the batteries and tighten the same way again. If the mark doesn't align, the batteries are keeping the light from making contact.
As was asked before, are the AW cells button topped or flat topped? You didn't answer.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the AW cells are flat topped, they probably won't work since they have to make contact with the plate inside the body.

This is taken from the TM26 product sheet.

7. This product does not support unprotected 18650 Li-ion batteries. Please
also ensure that all the 18650 batteries used in the TM26 have a button top configuration or they will not make contact with terminals in the battery compartment. We recommend Nitecore 18650 batteries for the best performance and reliability.

magnum70383

Enlightened
Doh! O well... I have 8 thrunite cells... Lol. Although it looks like the thrunite cells are also flat top...???

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go to eBay and purchase some 3mm rare earth magnets and some arctic silver adhesive.
A dab of arctic silver on the magnet and apply to the + terminal.
Problem solved.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh! O well... I have 8 thrunite cells... Lol. Although it looks like the thrunite cells are also flat top...???

It depends on your definition of flat top. Some cells are truly flat, or even slightly recessed...i.e., the plastic wrap around the top of the cell is actually sticking out more than the contact. This type of cell DEFINITELY will not work. Then you have stuff like Redilast 3400s, which have a large, relatively flat contact, but the whole thing is slightly raised. This type may or may not work well...my Redilast cells do work fine, but a slight variation might mean it wouldn't make good contact. Then you have button top cells, which have a prominent, small nipple contact. These are ideally suited to the contact plate in the TM series.

Just go to eBay and purchase some 3mm rare earth magnets and some arctic silver adhesive.
A dab of arctic silver on the magnet and apply to the + terminal.
Problem solved.

Be aware that this may significantly increase the resistance of your cells, and if they ever work loose, it could be a problem. Not to be alarmist...I actually use LOOSE neodymium magnets in a couple of my lights...but you should be aware that modifying a cell in any way can lead to problems. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't know what type of cells to use in what light.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thedoc, you won't see an increase in resistance using the magnets provided you used the arctic silver adhesive.
I used to purchase Loctite rear window defogger kits, but the Arctic silver has better bond ability and extremely low resistance.
The plus side of the TM11,15,and26 lights is that you've got lots of open space unlike other lights where the contacts are buried inside.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thedoc, you won't see an increase in resistance using the magnets provided you used the arctic silver adhesive.
I used to purchase Loctite rear window defogger kits, but the Arctic silver has better bond ability and extremely low resistance.
The plus side of the TM11,15,and26 lights is that you've got lots of open space unlike other lights where the contacts are buried inside.

How much it will be increased, I have no idea. It might not be enough to matter. But you are adding a magnet, and that has some resistance of its own. So you cannot tell me that it won't change at all...that just isn't possible. My point was to bring up the issue, not to convince anyone it is unsafe to do.