JETBEAM RRT01 acting erratic

Pause

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, happy new year, my name is Terry, I'm a new probationary member from the Phillippines. I just have a quick question and I'm really hoping this is the right forum to post this in hehe.

I recently bought a Jetbeam rrt01 and I couldn't be happier with it, I notice however lately it's been acting erratic, there are times I'll pull it out of my pocket and go to turn it on

1) and I have to cycle the ring a few times before it turns on, other times I actually had to untighten and re-tighten the battery tube before it turned on.

2) have on occasion have it actually die on me in mid-operation, a few clicks brings it back.

I've only had the light for less than two weeks, it hasn't been dropped or abused but the magnet ring did catch on the magnetic end of an s10 baton but it didn't really seem to affect the operation.

I've tried running the light off a Surefire 123A, a generic unbranded 18350 and RCR123A, it has exhibited the same quirks with all of them, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

:wave::confused::eek:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Sunwayman V10R AE has the exact same problem. I tried switching out the body with another V10R I had, but that wasn't it. I'm guessing maybe some contact point in the head is flakey, but interested in hearing answers on this...

cyclesport

Enlightened
Just a couple of thoughts re: my experiences with the RRT-01/EYE-10 and SWM V10/11R's, etc...

They are 1) very sensitive to heads that are not tight and will act erratically (sometimes not switch on, or flicker) if the head is even marginally loose. I use a strip of rubber inner tube to tighten after batt swaps.

2) If you've ever inserted the battery the wrong way with the -pole towards the head and turned it on...even briefly, you've prob. damaged the driver to some degree which could also account for erratic behavior *(although this tends to fry it completely most of the time, but can simply start it acting glitchy...ask me how I know).

And 3) this only applies to the RRT-01/EYE-10...these two lights have hidden strobe and/or SOS modes activated by rapidly cycling the ring back and forth a few times and it's just possible you've activated those modes inadvertently, however simply switching it off a few seconds should restore proper functioning. EDIT: Oh yeah, one other thing comes to mind, the bezels on these Jetbeam/NiteEye, and some Nitecore mag ring lights are locktite'd/glued on and if you've ever tried loosening the head to swap emitters or and filters,*(possiblely after heating head) and used tools/pliers to gip the bezel and head YOU MUST POSITION THE PLIERS ON THE BEZEL AND THEN, DIRECTLY BELOW THE BEZEL NOT BELOW THE MAG RING!!! Otherwise you'll twist the multi-layered driver PC boards and probably break soldered connections that are almost impossible to re-solder.

If none of these you prob should contact your dealer for an exchange if still under warranty. Hope I helped.:)

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this thread inspired me to go back to my v10r one more time. I noticed the inside of the head seemed just a tiny bit wobbly, and saw there was a very very tiny philips head screw holding the works in. Tightened that up, and now it seems to have stopped the flickering... time will tell, but you might look to see if you can tighten up the guts inside the head

Pause

Newly Enlightened
First off, whomever mod it was that moved the thread to this forum THANK YOU, the minute I posted it I thought I maybe posted it in the wrong forum.

Cyclesport, regarding you're first suggestion I've made sure the connection was very tight but I'm going to experiment putting some tape around the battery for a tighter fit just in case there's play in the battery chamber and will see if that solves anything, the head may not be moving but just maybe the battery does, or the spring could use a little more tension

re wrong polarity, I don't think it ever happened I only swapped out the battery a couple of times and both times the flashlight performed ok, I would imagine if the polarity was reversed the light wouldn't function so keeping my fingers crossed for a tighter fit solution ;)

Pause

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion Joe I've opened the light and tightened a screw that was slightly loose, will see if that solves anything

teedty1

Newly Enlightened
My rrt-0 seems to go into moonlight mode sometimes, and whacking it on something hard will get it back to full output. Anybody seen that before? I have cleaned the threads and that does seem to help sometimes.