Comparison of original Malkoff Hound Dog vs the new 18650 version?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a neutral 5000K XM-L2 Hound Dog which I dig and recently bought a newer single 18650 Hound Dog running a neutral 4500K XP-L in there. Although I now own both of these models, I am afraid I haven't the equipment nor knowledge to run a full test comparison on them. To my naked eyes they both look similar in throw as well as output with the exception of tint difference. Tried searching but came up zip. Anyone knows where I can get more info, especially on the new 18650 Hound Dog and comparison to the previous generation Hound Dog?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of information in the Malkoff Junkie thread. I don't recall if it was in that thread or a dedicated thread but I've seen a comparison complete with lux numbers somewhere around here.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I tried running through the last few pages in the thread but couldn't find any info. There are too many chatters going on there and the answers could be buried if there's any. I will try to look through when I get up from sleep.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightGuide.
Nice beam shot comparisons, write ups and reviews on Malkoff, Oveready and SureFire.
Just oredered a Neutral Hound Dog with 4 cell body myself.... I have a problem.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the Junkie Thread, locate post #4205, and start reading. Someone took lux measurements with Neutral high voltage and 18650 versions. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grizzman! The lux reading is much better than the XM-L2 Hound Dog. Not sure why it looks the same for both lights on my end. Need to really get them to somewhere darker without any light pollution to see better. Thanks again!

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Maybe it is just my particular examples, but the beam on my XML and the newest one look the closest... my XML2 seems to have a little more spill.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't look all that much different in the hot spot because light throw is an exponential relationship(inverse square law), so it takes a lot more lux to throw noticeably further.
It will throw more, but not a lot more. I think it's a little narrower too.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't look all that much different in the hot spot because light throw is an exponential relationship(inverse square law), so it takes a lot more lux to throw noticeably further.
It will throw more, but not a lot more. I think it's a little narrower too.
Makes perfect sense. I think just like lumens, it will take a four times increase to make a noticeable difference. I get it now. I don't really expect the 18650 Hough Dog to throw really far. I just want to know how it performs in comparison with the XM-L2 Hound Dog which I love. I haven't had the time to really take the 18650 HD out for a walk but my initial impression has been very very positive. Definitely a keeper.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2 year old XML-2 version, it slaughters the M61 pretty badly FWIW -- I don't have access to latest-greatest to compare.

Overall, very nice device.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were there 2 versions of the 18650 HD? An XM L2 and an XPL?
Only, I have two of them, and one has a slightly tighter hotspot and the Led looks slightly smaller. I bought them from Malkoff about 6 months apart.
I've only just noticed, as one lives at work and one at home.
P

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump.

The XML Hound Dog is still a very impressive device.

It runs on MD2, one cell and fits into any pocket.

If you want the ultimate P60-dropin, there it is. I had one and it was taken by a family member who won't part with it. Since I already have two MD4 Dogs decided I don't need yet another 18650. But the thought has crossed my mind to trade one of the MD4 HD for a 18650 HD.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's what I got. It works and see no reason to upgrade. It's really the same as the bigger MD4 HD just with different voltage parameters.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The older "reflector" 18650 HD is the best IMO. Beautiful beam and still plenty of throw
I had one in 4k neutral, indeed the beam was really nice. Though I didn't care for the "yellow snow" in the winter, I regret selling it.

hd18650-1.jpg

But I do have a new XPL (6500k) inbound to build a Lego I have in mind...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 15-year old posterity likes to run down his 18650 HD until its down to 50 lumens, I installed a protected cell instead of unprotected. Haven't turned on that light in years. Damn it's bright for such a small piece. You really do not want to pick up any P60 based light after it.

I attempted to bribe him into giving a "smaller" light in exchange for the HD and he refused. Smart man. There is no light in the Malkoff lineup that beats the 18650 HD that's about the same size. It's a beast. And the best thing about it, arguably, that the lumens curve slowly declines. the MD4 HD has a flat discharge curve until it goes poof and cuts off.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I am a fan of the reflector 18650 Hound Dog also, but I have never tried the 18650XT Hound Dog with the filters that came with it. I just left it at full throw capability. I have the 18650 Wild Cat also. I wish the 18650 Wild Cat was the size of my Wild Cat on the 4 cell body. and the 4 cell Wild Cat was the larger head. I tried the small Wild Cat head on the 2 cell body and it won't do anything, but I think that would be a nice light.

Attachments

• 18650s.jpeg
    18650s.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 82