Retaining ring threads?

nikosb

Newly Enlightened
I have a CREE XM-L T-6 flashlight and I want to make a modification to the copper retaining ring that threads on top of the LED and into the metal frame. The ring is shown on the right of this photo:

IMG_20150106_024249.jpg

I mainly want to enlarge the hole but I might end up doing more modifications to it.

1. What is the size of the threads for the rings?

2. Can I get the rings by themselves somewhere or any other part that is compatible? The ring measures about 20mm for this flashlight.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many variables to answer this correctly. Do you have a lathe to turn a new plate and thread it? It's hard to tell from this photo, is that just a big hole where the wires go through that main assembly? Maybe a better plan would be building a new dropin to replace that aluminum one, and have a solid base with just a small hole for the wires. That would be far more thermally efficient.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the exact flshlight model?
is it a C8? there are some brass dropins for it...
they may fit, but variability in this model is big

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have stated there are too many variables to answer your question regarding thread pitch.

Cover plates like that are not generic parts that are ever sold separately. The only way to get one is to probably buy another light of the same model.

One option is to simply omit the cover plate. It doesn't add anything to the beam as it's flatter than the beam angle coming out of the LED. Instead get some small machine screws and a pin-vise drill, then screw-in the star, leaving the star exposed.