Potential issue with Klarus Mi1A AA titanium flashlight...

User323

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone

As you'll quickly realise as you (hopefully) read on I'm new to the world of flashlights so please excuse my ignorance / lack of proper phraseology.

I recently purchased a Klarus Mi1A AA titanium flashlight, and it seems like a well-built one with reasonable lumens and runtime, apart from one issue I'd like to get some advice on.

When the flashlight is in the off-position, the o ring is slightly visible. The flashlight head looks like it should be sitting much lower in the main body (again sorry for the awful phrasing). It takes around two and a half revolutions to tighten the flashlight to maximum from the off-position, but only around one and a half revolutions from the off-position to completely unscrew the torch head.

A slightly visible o ring just doesn't seem right to me, it doesn't look like this in any of the images I had looked at previously, and I'm concerned about how waterproof it is, and that this is a potential weak point as only a small amount of the available threads are in use so to speak when the flashlight is in the off-position.

It's as if the positive connector at the bottom of the flashlight main body is slightly too big / pushing the battery up too much. I don't know if this could be compressed slightly in anyway, of if it's not advisable to further explore this for danger of damaging the flashlight.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions, and if any parts are particularly unclear let me know and I will try to clarify...

(and apologies if this is in the wrong thread)

kj2

Flashaholic
Open o-rings are always a bad sign. If I picture the light in my head, and read your story, it looks like there isn't enough thread.
Where did you order this light? Possibly a return and exchange is a option.

User323

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply kj2.

I bought it from an online flashlight retailer in the UK where I'm based.

I would like to get a refund as I'm concerned a replacement could have the same issue.

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at mine right now, and all I see is about 1/32" of the brass when the light is off. I have to loosen it three full turns more to start seeing the o-ring.

User323

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bill, that's helpful to know, I wish mine was like that but it's quite the opposite.

User323

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Municipality. Excuse my potential ignorance but I'm assuming your comment is in reference to battery height. It came with a pretty standard non-rechargeable alkaline battery "Industrial by Duracell." Same size as a standard Duracell, about 4.5cm. I haven't had a chance to purchase a recharger / some rechargeable yet.

User323

Newly Enlightened
They seem to be the same height as the one currently in the flashlight, more indication I guess it has an issue.

They look like good batteries, going to order some AAA's for a Fenix I bought at the same time which has been great so far.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would send it back for a refund.
I bought one, and I am disappointed in Klarus.
This model had other problems.

The Municipality

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Municipality. Excuse my potential ignorance but I'm assuming your comment is in reference to battery height. It came with a pretty standard non-rechargeable alkaline battery "Industrial by Duracell." Same size as a standard Duracell, about 4.5cm. I haven't had a chance to purchase a recharger / some rechargeable yet.

I have no idea how that post ended up in this thread. I replied to a completely different thread.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mi1A Ti when off has a gap between head and body of 1 mm and the o-ring sits well inside the body so that it is not visible. Probably Coogler got a faulty specimen.

The light I have works well, would please Flashkat advise what other problems he has detected.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an earlier version that has issues using rechargeable batteries. I sent mine back for exchange, but the new version did not change modes correctly. I told the dealer to give me back my original light.
My Mi1A Ti when off has a gap between head and body of 1 mm and the o-ring sits well inside the body so that it is not visible. Probably Coogler got a faulty specimen.

The light I have works well, would please Flashkat advise what other problems he has detected.

User323

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts, much appreciated. I've got in touch with the retailer for a refund. Think I'll get a Foursevens Mini MA in titanium as a replacement..