ArmyTek        
Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 252929596979899100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3126

Thread: The Official Zebralight Thread .

Flashaholic*

Default Re: The Official Zebralight Thread .

The advice is very much appreciated guys.

I've narowed it down to the SC600w Mk IV, but torn between the HI and the Plus. With it's higher output and better efficiency, I would choose the Plus, but I also love throw and small, punchy hotspots, and I'm wondering if the throw and hotspot of the HI is worth the tradeoff. WITL makes it sound like it is.

Are there any Lux measurements around on these two lights? Or can owners give me a rough estimate of what either throws?

Thanks
    Last edited by DayofReckoning; 07-03-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    I've been involved in flashlights for many years and I just got my 1st ZebraLight.

ZebraLight SC64w HI

So far, I'm enjoying it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Can I ask what your first impressions were on build, fit and finish?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    The advice is very much appreciated guys.

I've narowed it down to the SC600w Mk IV, but torn between the HI and the Plus. With it's higher output and better efficiency, I would choose the Plus, but I also love throw and small, punchy hotspots, and I'm wondering if the throw and hotspot of the HI is worth the tradeoff. WITL makes it sound like it is.

Are there any Lux measurements around on these two lights? Or can owners give me a rough estimate of what either throws?

Thanks
    Yeah, if you're only going to get one of those lights, the HI is probably a better choice. It's much more useful as an all-purpose outdoor light. Enough throw to be useful, but not so much that it's useless up close.

IIRC, the HI has a little under 20K candella. I think the Plus is close to that as well (perhaps a bit less than the HI), but remember that the Plus is twice as bright. You don't get to see as far with the Plus, because all the foreground brightness kills your vision to see very far. So, don't just go by the lux numbers.

Flashaholic

I owned both, kept the sc600w Hi. They serve a different purpose. The Plus is good for up close, but it's very floody so not ideal for longer distances. On turbo it does have OK reach, but it will overheat and step down. The Plus also has a pretty strong Green tint. The Hi has a nice pure white tint, feels significantly brighter because of the added intensity, and outdoors feels much more useful. I find the Hi too throwy for indoor use but can manage if it's my only light.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NPL View Post
    I owned both, kept the sc600w Hi. They serve a different purpose. The Plus is good for up close, but it's very floody so not ideal for longer distances. On turbo it does have OK reach, but it will overheat and step down. The Plus also has a pretty strong Green tint. The Hi has a nice pure white tint, feels significantly brighter because of the added intensity, and outdoors feels much more useful. I find the Hi too throwy for indoor use but can manage if it's my only light.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app
    I've had the same exact experience. Sold the PLUS and kept the HI.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Can I ask what your first impressions were on build, fit and finish?
    1st impression was concerning how small it is for a 18650 light. I love it's compact size. I've been EDCing it and enjoying it. It took me a bit to fully understand how to config the interface, but I got the hang of it. I love the range of brightness and the tint is great. Build quality is excellent from what I've seen.

If I had one complaint, it would be concerning how tight the tolerances are for which 18650 you use. I have 18650 lights that will run on whatever you have, allowing you to use use 2xCR123 if needed.

The way the ZL is made, there is very small tolerances for length of cell used. You can only use unprotected flat top cell. I wouldn't have minded an extra 1/4 inch in length, if it could except all 18650 cells.

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Everyone have has been exponentially helpful.

I'm sold. SC600w Mk IV HI it is.

Flashaholic

Everyone have has been exponentially helpful.

I'm sold. SC600w Mk IV HI it is.
    Good Choice!!!

Unenlightened

Realised yesterday that ZL have removed free shipping to UK/EU for now with the only option being DHL $42! Guess thatís one way to stop me from buying more...

Quote Originally Posted by MB320 View Post
    Realised yesterday that ZL have removed free shipping to UK/EU for now with the only option being DHL $42! Guess thatís one way to stop me from buying more...
    Buy from www.nkon.nl

Corona has been cruel with shipping, no flights, etc...
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

Unenlightened

Yeah I probably will, always had good experiences from them. Although theyíve had to hike their prices in response it seems! Oh well.

Is Zebralight known for taking their time shipping items that are in stock? I got a order shipped email on the 7th but itís been in preshipping status the whole time.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MB320 View Post
    Yeah, I know. It's already stopped me from buying a light this summer. It's almost like Zebralight is trying to wreck their business. No new models for the past couple of years (other than maybe an LED swap). Now, ridiculous shipping costs. I don't get it. They ship from China (for non US orders), so why drop the cheaper options? I'm not getting this kind of restriction from other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyboots View Post
    Is Zebralight known for taking their time shipping items that are in stock? I got a order shipped email on the 7th but itís been in preshipping status the whole time.
    I find they usually take 3 or 4 days to really ship, after they send out the email. It will probably be shipped tomorrow (Monday).

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Yeah, I know. It's already stopped me from buying a light this summer. It's almost like Zebralight is trying to wreck their business. No new models for the past couple of years (other than maybe an LED swap). Now, ridiculous shipping costs. I don't get it. They ship from China (for non US orders), so why drop the cheaper options? I'm not getting this kind of restriction from other companies.

I find they usually take 3 or 4 days to really ship, after they send out the email. It will probably be shipped tomorrow (Monday).
    Yeah, Iím pretty disappointed. Generally wouldnít consider any other brand however thereís no way Iím paying that sort of money for shipping from the same place Iíve ordered multiple lights from for free. Hope they bring cheaper options back.

Flashaholic*

Hey guys, just a little update here. When debating between the SC600w Mk IV HI and Plus, I reevaluated how I would be using the light, and actually ended up choosing the Plus, as I felt it's higher output and more floody beam may be more useful to me. I received the SC600W MK IV Plus yesterday, and spent the day and night using it, experimenting with the UI, comparing to other lights, etc.

To say that I am completely filled with disappointment and regret would be an understatement. Disappointment and regret, in that I wasted so much time, money, and effort buying other lights, searching for that light that checks all the boxes, and is everything I ever wanted a light to be, when I could have just gotten a Zebralight in the first place.

The UI and it's sheer versatility, the beam quality, the quality of the anodization, the quality of the threads, the construction of the body and components, I couldn't be more impressed.

The Zebralight hype is real, and it's completely justified. I'm glad to be part of the club now. I need a AA Zebralight now!

DayofReckoning I agree that a Zebralight stands the test of time. The main reason I like them is the mode spacing and compact size. Most lights now go from 7 - 30 lumens for a low to 200, 500,1000 etc and that is too much of a jump between spacing to be useful to me. I like the high top ends lights have now but lower useful levels are forgotten. Zebralight philosophy remains the best overall.
    Money wasted on other lights ?
    Maybe but it was fun too.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Flashaholic*

Absolutely, Zebralight allows you to choose whatever output that is of your liking, with spacing that is as big, or as small as you would like.

One thing important to note, the Zebralight UI appears to be extremely complicated and hard to learn when one is reading the instructions. However, once in hand, it took only a few moments to master the UI. I love it.

Hey guys, just a little update here. When debating between the SC600w Mk IV HI and Plus, I reevaluated how I would be using the light, and actually ended up choosing the Plus, as I felt it's higher output and more floody beam may be more useful to me. I received the SC600W MK IV Plus yesterday, and spent the day and night using it, experimenting with the UI, comparing to other lights, etc.

To say that I am completely filled with disappointment and regret would be an understatement. Disappointment and regret, in that I wasted so much time, money, and effort buying other lights, searching for that light that checks all the boxes, and is everything I ever wanted a light to be, when I could have just gotten a Zebralight in the first place.

The UI and it's sheer versatility, the beam quality, the quality of the anodization, the quality of the threads, the construction of the body and components, I couldn't be more impressed.

The Zebralight hype is real, and it's completely justified. I'm glad to be part of the club now. I need a AA Zebralight now!

Oh man, I kinda cringe everytime I see pics of 8 different D4V2CXTiYZW3A's on someone's bench. I have a few, to be sure, but I have more ZL's because they all pretty much fill a different purpose, and are all much better built lights.

I've owned my ZebraLight SC64w HI for a few weeks now and really love it.

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Biggest criticism I have so far is that the model numbers and choices on the website are very confusing. Also is confusing as to why they build a light of this price and quality, and don't use AR coatings on the glass. Not a big deal, I'm certain the difference in output is marginal at best, but still.

Looking at the pogo pins, I think if there was a pin in the center, a protected cell would work. It's just the length that would be an issue, these are unbelievably small for an 18650 light.

I got the light in yesterday. Itís so much smaller than I expected. Itís a gift and Iím sure it will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Biggest criticism I have so far is that the model numbers and choices on the website are very confusing. Also is confusing as to why they build a light of this price and quality, and don't use AR coatings on the glass. Not a big deal, I'm certain the difference in output is marginal at best, but still.
    Out of all my Zebralights, only my SC52w (original version, bought as a pre-order) doesn't have AR coatings. All my others do. I'm not sure why they didn't use a coating on the SC52w. Perhaps to minimize tint shift, or perhaps they just forgot in the early production units.

Anyone else have a SC52w without AR coatings?

Anyway, I do believe they use AR coating on almost all their lights. Are their any current models that don't?

Disclaimer: I'm actually not sure if my frosted lens Zebra has an AR coating. I'm going by how the light reflects off the glass. Hard to tell with the frosting.

Flashaholic

I like your 'disappointed' sentiment, DayofReckoning. I agree, ZebraLights are collection killers, hah.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Flashaholic*

Out of all my Zebralights, only my SC52w (original version, bought as a pre-order) doesn't have AR coatings. All my others do. I'm not sure why they didn't use a coating on the SC52w. Perhaps to minimize tint shift, or perhaps they just forgot in the early production units.

Anyway, I do believe they use AR coating on almost all their lights. Are their any current models that don't?

Disclaimer: I'm actually not sure if my frosted lens Zebra has an AR coating. I'm going by how the light reflects off the glass. Hard to tell with the frosting.
    I'm not certain. The website only say's "optical grade glass". I looked at some pictures of the SC600W IV from a few years ago, and the pics almost look like it is AR coated. I ordered mine straight from Zebralight, so surely this is a newer sample. Perhaps they went against using the AR coating on newer lights due to complaints about it affecting the tint, which can happen with some coatings.

Hopefully, some others can chime in.

Flashaholic*

Spent a few minutes looking around at this topic of AR coated glass on the Zebralights. From what I can gather, it almost appears as though there is no consistency as to what lights, and when, get the treatment.

FWIW, my Acebeam X45II has a heavy AR coating, and I could swear that it is negatively effecting the tint. Also ran across a few reports from users that the AR coating was causing a colored ring in the spill of their Zebralight.

With the bad tint shift of these emitters, perhaps no coating is for the better.

Looking at the pogo pins, I think if there was a pin in the center, a protected cell would work. It's just the length that would be an issue, these are unbelievably small for an 18650 light.
    When I asked the same question, the ZL experts told me they don't use an AR coated lens because it could promote tint-shift.

I've never heard of that, but I thought its lack of presence was strange myself.

My recently purchased SC64w HI does not have an AR coated lens.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for confirming ThisisNascar.

Flashaholic*

I take back my earlier statement about AR coatings. Upon closer inspection of 5 lights I have handy right now, only 2 of them appear to have AR coatings. (SC52 cool white, and SC600 MkIV HI.) Another 3 don't (SC52w, SC64 HI, and H600 Fc mkIV).

However, only the SC52w appears to have a strong reflection off the internal glass, so it's noticeable. The glass on the other ones appears to sort of act like it has an AR coating, but without the purple reflection you see with the usual AR coatings. So, I'm guessing they don't have an AR coating.

In any case, yeah, it does appear somewhat random!

99% how I feel about my sc64w. If only it could accept primaries ďjust in case.Ē

Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 252929596979899100101102103104105 LastLast