ArmyTek        
Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539396979899100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3136

Thread: The Official Zebralight Thread .

Default Re: The Official Zebralight Thread .

They are truly fantastic lights. I recently picked up an h600w MKII and I could not be happier. I do not know why I waited so long to get a headlamp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    Hey guys, just a little update here. When debating between the SC600w Mk IV HI and Plus, I reevaluated how I would be using the light, and actually ended up choosing the Plus, as I felt it's higher output and more floody beam may be more useful to me. I received the SC600W MK IV Plus yesterday, and spent the day and night using it, experimenting with the UI, comparing to other lights, etc.

To say that I am completely filled with disappointment and regret would be an understatement. Disappointment and regret, in that I wasted so much time, money, and effort buying other lights, searching for that light that checks all the boxes, and is everything I ever wanted a light to be, when I could have just gotten a Zebralight in the first place.

The UI and it's sheer versatility, the beam quality, the quality of the anodization, the quality of the threads, the construction of the body and components, I couldn't be more impressed.

The Zebralight hype is real, and it's completely justified. I'm glad to be part of the club now. I need a AA Zebralight now!

There it is. The initial realization that you don't need to buy a bunch of lights anymore, quickly followed by wanting more zebralights. The sc32w ended my need for an edc light.....but then I needed a headlamp and in came the h600fc....but then why would I edc a 16340 light when I have so many 18650's?....then came the sc64c LE and so on.....and so on. Welcome to the club of never "needing" to buy another light again.....until you want another zebralight

If I had one complaint about my ZebraLight SC64w HI, it would be its inability to use whatever 18650 I have lying around.

I would have not minded an additional 1/4 in length to accommodate a larger spring or tailcap that would allow button top and/or protected cells. I would also have liked it to be able to accommodate 2xcr123 like many other 1x18650 lights.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    If I had one complaint about my ZebraLight SC64w HI, it would be its inability to use whatever 18650 I have lying around.

I would have not minded an additional 1/4 in length to accommodate a larger spring or tailcap that would allow button top and/or protected cells. I would also have liked it to be able to accommodate 2xcr123 like many other 1x18650 lights.
    I might agree for the larger SC600 light format. But for the SC64 pocket EDC format, size is critical for me. I really like that it's not much larger than a small AA light. Besides, almost all my cells are flat-top unprotected, which fit great. I also don't really see the need for running primaries. They probably wouldn't provide enough power, and they're bloody expensive. The only situation they make sense is in extreme cold, and even then lithium-ion can still work (just not as well).

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I take back my earlier statement about AR coatings. Upon closer inspection of 5 lights I have handy right now, only 2 of them appear to have AR coatings. (SC52 cool white, and SC600 MkIV HI.) Another 3 don't (SC52w, SC64 HI, and H600 Fc mkIV).

However, only the SC52w appears to have a strong reflection off the internal glass, so it's noticeable. The glass on the other ones appears to sort of act like it has an AR coating, but without the purple reflection you see with the usual AR coatings. So, I'm guessing they don't have an AR coating.

In any case, yeah, it does appear somewhat random!
    One more data point: just checked my SC600w IV Plus, and it does have an AR coating. So, it's 50% so far. Go figure.

My favorite ZL is the little H52. While not the best at any one thing, it checks a lot of boxes for versatility.

Flashaholic*

I might agree for the larger SC600 light format. But for the SC64 pocket EDC format, size is critical for me. I really like that it's not much larger than a small AA light. Besides, almost all my cells are flat-top unprotected, which fit great. I also don't really see the need for running primaries. They probably wouldn't provide enough power, and they're bloody expensive. The only situation they make sense is in extreme cold, and even then lithium-ion can still work (just not as well).

One more data point: just checked my SC600w IV Plus, and it does have an AR coating. So, it's 50% so far. Go figure.
    When judging whether a piece of glass has AR coatings, keep in mind that AR coatings should be detectible solely on color (usually green or purple) reflected when holding the glass at the correct angle. The actual amount of reflections, or lack of, cannot be used to judge whether or not a glass contains AR coatings, but instead judged upon whether there are any visible colors on the glass.

As an optics enthusiast for a sizeable amount of time, I have yet to see a piece glass that was AR coated that didn't have some type of color present in the coating.

Is your SC600w IV Plus an early model? Perhaps the first few batches contained the coatings, then they were dropped later on?

Flashaholic*

Yeah, the SC600 IV Plus reflects a greenish image, so it definitely has an AR coating. The other 2 zebras have a purple reflection, so they must use a different kind of AR coating.

I can't recall if my SC600 Plus was an early model. I don't think it was a pre-order, but I did buy it fairly soon after it was released.

Green reflection = 9-layer coating. Purple is 6. Green is best, but both are very good in flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    Green reflection = 9-layer coating. Purple is 6. Green is best, but both are very good in flashlights.
    Good to know. I've only ever seen it in purple.

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

YES!

I love these lights, but this choice on ZL's part (making a flashlight that runs at 6v but can't fit primaries) continues to give me a pain in the pain receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post

The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Flashaholic*

I guess no light in existence will ever be "perfect", maybe some have found it, but had the Zebralight been able to take CR123's in a pinch, it would put it that much closer to perfection.

I want a SC700D with a smooth reflector and XHP35 HI. Trying not to hold my breathe though, don't see it happening.

Flashaholic*

I want a SC700D with a smooth reflector and XHP35 HI. Trying not to hold my breathe though, don't see it happening.
    Yeah, throwers aren't really their thing. Though, the SC600w HI is a step in that direction. Have you given it a try? Definitely wouldn't throw as well as a SC700 model with the same emitter, but the SC600 HI is decent enough for such a small light.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, throwers aren't really their thing. Though, the SC600w HI is a step in that direction. Have you given it a try? Definitely wouldn't throw as well as a SC700 model with the same emitter, but the SC600 HI is decent enough for such a small light.
    Oh, I've been contemplating over all the different models, that's for sure, including the HI. I know the current AA models aren't the best when compared to the previous model, but I would still like one.

Right now, I'm trying to justify the increased cost, size, and weight of the SC5C MKII, but I'm having difficulty doing so when the SC53c is there.

Flashaholic*

Oh, I've been contemplating over all the different models, that's for sure, including the HI. I know the current AA models aren't the best when compared to the previous model, but I would still like one.

Right now, I'm trying to justify the increased cost, size, and weight of the SC5C MKII, but I'm having difficulty doing so when the SC53c is there.
    I find the SC5 gives much more throw than the SC52/SC53. Not just because it's a bit brighter, but it uses a larger reflector which makes for a much tighter hot-spot.

The SC5 is kind of like the AA equivalent to the 18650 SC600 HI. The SC53 is like the 18650 SC64.

Flashaholic*

I find the SC5 gives much more throw than the SC52/SC53. Not just because it's a bit brighter, but it uses a larger reflector which makes for a much tighter hot-spot.

The SC5 is kind of like the AA equivalent to the 18650 SC600 HI. The SC53 is like the 18650 SC64.
    Thanks for the reference WITL. I was leaning towards the SC53 only based on trying to get the smallest, lightest Zebralight I can get.

Flashaholic

smallest would be an h model.

Thanks for the reference WITL. I was leaning towards the SC53 only based on trying to get the smallest, lightest Zebralight I can get.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    smallest would be an h model.
    Had the Fenix LD15R, couldn't get used to the right angle in hand, never felt right.

Flashaholic

ah, understood...

how about the difference in total lumens? sc53 vs sc5

Had the Fenix LD15R, couldn't get used to the right angle in hand, never felt right.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    ah, understood...

how about the difference in total lumens? sc53 vs sc5
    The AA capacity isn't great in the first place, and that burst of the sc5 is likely to drain the cell quickly, so I imagine those extra lumens would have to be used sparingly. It's hard when you don't have both in hand, I'm thinking the smaller size and weight of the sc53 in pocket might be worth the tradeoff of lower throw and max brightness.

Flashaholic

agreed

I agree. 53 is about my max size for EDC, so I would carry it over the 5 any day. For work it's 18650 lights. I especially like the LE.

Flashaholic

i find the 53 to be slippery, compared to the 5 knurling, which feels very secure in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    I agree. 53 is about my max size for EDC, so I would carry it over the 5 any day. For work it's 18650 lights. I especially like the LE.
    I run mine with a clip. It gives me a a reference point for the button too.

Flashaholic*

The AA capacity isn't great in the first place, and that burst of the sc5 is likely to drain the cell quickly, so I imagine those extra lumens would have to be used sparingly. It's hard when you don't have both in hand, I'm thinking the smaller size and weight of the sc53 in pocket might be worth the tradeoff of lower throw and max brightness.
    Yeah, IIRC, I think the max brightness on the SC5w gives me about 20-25 minutes of run time. (Stepping it back to full output every 3 minutes, because it ramps down with a hard-coded 3-minute timer.) Using a standard Eneloop. You'd get a bit better run-time with an Eneloop Pro.

I think it makes a decent light for outdoors, due the tighter hot-spot. However, I prefer 18650 lights for outdoors. So, I generally prefer the smaller SC53 size for a AA light. With a AA light, I don't really need the 500 lumens of the SC5.

Flashaholic*

Although subjective, I think the SC5 is the better looking light, and I don't like the shiny ano on the SC53. On the other hand, an advantage of the SC53 is that it has a lower moonlight mode versus the SC5.

Kind of off topic, but I wish there were a viable spot on these lights to try and have some Tritium installed. I think the heat fins of the SC600w are too small.

Did I read above that the SC600 Plus AR coating might have switched from purple to green? I have a pre-order model and the only negative thing I can say about the light is the outer purple ring that it has... especially when using it with snow covered ground. I am pretty sure it is caused by the shiny steel bezel reflecting light back onto the lens.

I'd be curious if this has been improved... I have also considered painting the shiny bezel.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Did I read above that the SC600 Plus AR coating might have switched from purple to green? I have a pre-order model and the only negative thing I can say about the light is the outer purple ring that it has... especially when using it with snow covered ground. I am pretty sure it is caused by the shiny steel bezel reflecting light back onto the lens.

I'd be curious if this has been improved... I have also considered painting the shiny bezel.
    My SC600W Plus I received last week, which surely is newer stock, has no coating. Thisisnascar just received an Sc64 and it has no coating. He says Zebralight told them him they dropped it due to it promoting tint shift, which I believe to be true.

My SC600W Plus I received last week, which surely is newer stock, has no coating. Thisisnascar just received an Sc64 and it has no coating. He says Zebralight told them him they dropped it due to it promoting tint shift, which I believe to be true.

Interesting... who wants to trade me a SC600w Plus without the coating for one with a coating?

Flashaholic

maybe zebralight...

shoot em a message complaining of an ugly tint shift.

keep us posted, as i may do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Interesting... who wants to trade me a SC600w Plus without the coating for one with a coating?

No, ZL didn't tell me that. Another user suggested that may be the reasoning.

Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539396979899100101102103104105 LastLast