HDS Systems        
Page 127 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2777117120121122123124125126127128129 LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 3863

Thread: The Official Zebralight Thread .

Flashaholic

Default Re: The Official Zebralight Thread .

Very Trick Indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    This is one of my SC64w Hi versions, that's been my EDC since owning it. I continue to try and trick it out, so it better meet my needs.

My 1st addition was the magnet. It holds pretty well, but I do want to find a greyish colored marker or something, so it blends in a bit better. My 2nd thing was wrapping a piece of D-C Fix around the 18650 for those few times that I want or need to smooth out the hotspot.

My 3rd and most recent modification was to install this green tritium glow vial, which allows an easier means to find the light on my dresser.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hello This_is_nascar. Like the changes. The magnet would be the most useful for me. I have bought a variety of neodymium magnets from All Electronics (which I've dealt with for decades) in the past and they do their job well, very hard to remove if layed flat on a metal surface. But none of them were round magnets. I do see they offer a 1" dia x 1/8 thick magnet and a 20mm x 4mm one with a countersunk hole to mount it with a screw. Is yours neodymium? Who did you buy it from if it's a neodymium magnet?

These are the ones I got from this place.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

For some reason my 18650 zebra light steps down at 75 percent from max to low after running for a short time in cold weather.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    For some reason my 18650 zebra light steps down at 75 percent from max to low after running for a short time in cold weather.
    Yup. I've brought up this problem, before. In my case, it affects all my zebras using the XHP35 HI emitter. It turns off from H1, in cold weather. That's what you get when you try to use a light in cold weather, that was designed and tested in Texas summer. Lots of others have complained about this problem, too. They clearly have a driver design problem with some of their models.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Yup. I've brought up this problem, before. In my case, it affects all my zebras using the XHP35 HI emitter. It turns off from H1, in cold weather. That's what you get when you try to use a light in cold weather, that was designed and tested in Texas summer. Lots of others have complained about this problem, too. They clearly have a driver design problem with some of their models.
    Damn. Just when I calmed down from learning about one issue, I learn of another one.

How widespread is this?

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

These are the ones I got from this place.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Thanks for the link. They have a large selection of magnets so I can easily outfit all my ZL's at one time. Nice info about magnets, how they work, are made, etc...on the web site too.

How have people attached the magnets? I was thinking silicone since it could probably be removed with some effort, unlike epoxy which would be more or less permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Netter1283 View Post
    How have people attached the magnets? I was thinking silicone since it could probably be removed with some effort, unlike epoxy which would be more or less permanent.
    Gorilla Glue Clear. I was going to put some gray duct tape on the shinny surface, but it took too much holding power away.

Damn. Just when I calmed down from learning about one issue, I learn of another one.

How widespread is this?

Yep my H6000c Mk IV with XHP50.2 drops down in about 2 seconds in below freezing weather.

I can't decide between the sc700d or the SC600w Mark IV Plus. Some people say the sc700d is too floody! At the point that the spill it's annoying because it's too bright.
    I would use the light for an "all purpose light" so outdoor and indoor. Working around the house and walking the dog in the woods close where I live.

Inviato dal mio Mi 9T utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fespe View Post
    I can't decide between the sc700d or the SC600w Mark IV Plus. Some people say the sc700d is too floody! At the point that the spill it's annoying because it's too bright.
    I would use the light for an "all purpose light" so outdoor and indoor. Working around the house and walking the dog in the woods close where I live.

2-different battery types, if that's a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by dydx View Post
    Yep my H6000c Mk IV with XHP50.2 drops down in about 2 seconds in below freezing weather.
    I don't keep any of my ZLs in the outdoors. My SC64w Hi EDC stays on my person, so I may never run into this situation, but it sucks that the condition is present.

Flashaholic

I wonder if the cold weather issue would persist if a cold specific battery was used. There are some lithium ion 18650 with less capacity designed for colder weather use.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

2-different battery types, if that's a consideration.

No I don't mind the different battery. I would have loved an hi version but right now in europe I can't find any. Now Nkon have this models available and I was thinking of getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fespe View Post

Fespe, I have both lights, and I use them both, frequently. I use the SC600 mk IV+ at work, because it's smaller, lighter, and fits easily in my front left pocket, which makes for quick one handed retrieval and use. The beam is reasonably floody, but there is a strong yellow color to the corona around the central spot, so I've added some diffusion material to the front glass, which helps even that out and gives me a nice even flood.

I use the SC700d as my around-the-house light. It's a bodaciously good light. It goes both dimmer AND brighter than the SC600 IV+, AND it's got a high CRI LED, which is very important to a picky flashaholic like me. I also like that it's larger battery gives me more runtime, and the slightly larger size gives it a heft that feels very nice in the hand. I will say this, though, that extra heft might start to feel "heavy" after holding the light for an extended period of time, say an hour or so. For my uses, it's typically just quick uses here and there around the house, and for having on the nightstand by my bed at night (the lowest level is perfect for navigating to the bathroom late at night). I've tried using the SC700d as an EDC, but it's to large for my front pants pocket, however, it does work fine in a coat pocket.

Comparing the beams, I'd day they are similar, with the SC700d having a slightly more defined central spot, but honestly, they are similar enough that I wouldn't use that as a criteria for choosing one over the other, but rather base it on size, battery life, etc, with the SC600 IV+ being smaller and lighter, and therfore more EDC friendly, and the SC700d having more runtime, a lower low and higher high, and having the high CRI LED.
    Last edited by Derek Dean; 02-10-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Well said Derek Dean. I also have both and concur on all points. I also have the SC600w MKIV HI version. I prefer to carry the HI on workdays as I find the more intense hot-spot and slightly less flood/spill gives me a SLIGHT edge in my job as an auditor/inspector. The SC600w MK IV+ I prefer for general non workday EDC. And the 700d is my go to around the house and farm...when I don't need a long range light.

I would also add if someone would make a really nice Kydex belt holster for the 700d I'd probably try carrying it....but not in the pocket like my 600s
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 02-10-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Enlightened

Hey guys!
    Im about to purchase a Zebralight SC700d but cant decide on a battery for it. I was recommended a Keeppower 21700 (protected) 5000 mAh - 10A. Has anyone used this in their SC700d? Is there a better choice for it and if yes - which one and why?
    Thanks in advance!

ZLs don't work with protected cells. They require a flat top unprotected batt. I use the Samsung 50E in mine. These are like $6.50 at BatteryJunction

Thank you Derek Dean and WebHobbit! Yes I would definitely like the high CRI but I would have preferred a little warmer around 4000k.
    That said I think I'm going to try the sc700d just because is new (and longer battery life) and worst case scenario I will keep it as an house light. I'm going to wait a couple of days to be sure! Thank again for the tip, really helpful!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by NPL View Post
    I wonder if the cold weather issue would persist if a cold specific battery was used. There are some lithium ion 18650 with less capacity designed for colder weather use.
    I've tested it with all kinds of batteries, from low drain to high drain. The battery doesn't seem to make any difference. It's the driver, it doesn't like the cold on H1. Note, the problem doesn't happen all the time, and once the light is warmed up (just takes a couple of seconds on H2), it goes away completely. So, while it's an annoying problem, it's not a game-stopper.

Since Zebralight has stopped shipping to anywhere other than the US, it's probably going to only affect Alaskan people.

I read in another forum that the tint is greenish in color? It's advertised as NW with a CRI 90+ rating? Any truth to the Greenish in color comment? Thanks.

It DOES have a slightly greenish corona but I generally only notice it on a very white surface...or when directly comparing it to other lights. It's a problem with a LOT of modern CREE LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie View Post
    I read in another forum that the tint is greenish in color? It's advertised as NW with a CRI 90+ rating? Any truth to the Greenish in color comment? Thanks.
    EVERY single LED based light I've gotten that has been listed as "neutral", with a color balance of 4500k to 5000k, has had a greenish tint, and that goes for all brands of lights. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it, but I've solved the problem by simply adding a magenta filter to every new light I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    EVERY single LED based light I've gotten that has been listed as "neutral", with a color balance of 4500k to 5000k, has had a greenish tint, and that goes for all brands of lights. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it, but I've solved the problem by simply adding a magenta filter to every new light I get.
    Then maybe the Nitchia Led's are an outlier whereas the Acebeam RK18 is pure white to my eyes, great for inspecting underneath a tractor seeing if the leak you might observe is either motor oil or coolant. Not slamming ZebraLight. I may pick up the SC700d, just trying to get a feel for the tint before I plunk down $120.

Thanks for your replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Can I ask you what kind of specific filter do you use? By the way I order the sc700d. If I hadn't hurry I wouldn't be able to get it! It's already sold out on Nkon.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    So, my pal was just experiencing this cold weather problem with his H600W (mkii, i think) using a AW 18650. The light gave 3 flashes with the four-click capacity test. He said it was 12 degrees outside and it would immediately step down from high to low. Later the light worked at full power with the same battery when it was at a warmer temperature.

Can anyone recommend a 18650 that works best in ZLs; for cold weather, but in general, too? I bought a couple ones based on a recommendation on CPF a few years ago, but am unsure as to what it was I bought; possibly a sony - they're green with a white label that reads "18650 3000mah 3.7V".

Thanks bunches in advance!

cheers
    If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Flashaholic

I have the issue of H1 "tripping" to a low level with about 3.7 V left in my H600Fc IV. No issues observed with my SC64w HI, even at -30C.

For 18650, can't go wrong with NCR18650GA (3500 mAh). For cold weather, I suspect Sony VTC6 would be what you mention.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post
    I have the issue of H1 "tripping" to a low level with about 3.7 V left in my H600Fc IV. No issues observed with my SC64w HI, even at -30C.

For 18650, can't go wrong with NCR18650GA (3500 mAh). For cold weather, I suspect Sony VTC6 would be what you mention.
    Good luck....I've NCR18650GA, fully charged, in my H6000c Mk IV, minus 5F this morning.....instant step down. Doubt the battery hypothesis.

-20C is well out of the "comfort zone" of a NCR18650GA, though .. as soon as this battery goes below 0C (actual cell temperature) it gets pretty weak.
    Last edited by Connor; 02-13-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Page 127 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2777117120121122123124125126127128129 LastLast